FTC bans non-compete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good new but not a big deal to the pathologists - we have very limited job options in a specific area anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it doesn't apply for executives. I have only felt like a worker bee as a pathologist, but I wonder if that means the ruling doesn't apply to doctors, dentists, etc.

Does this mean if you leave Quest, you can now work at Labcorp? Sounds like a huge win

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Non - competes (even if in your contract) are very hard to inforce. State of MA banned non competes for MDs and RN some time ago. Determined it was not good for the public for MDs and nurses to have barriers preventing them from moving between local markets…

Many other states have done the same.

A friend of mine used a non compete in his contract to basically void the entire contract when another point in the contract was in dispute.

Like others have said, non competes are hard to enforce and most courts abstain from enforcing them unless there's some legitimate concerns. The problem has been 1.) new employers not wanting to press their luck and deal with 'potential' suits , and 2.) if you're leaving a practice/hospital and striking out on your own, larger entities could (potentially) tie up your time and resources knowing you personally don't have money to pay legal fees even if they know you'd win the case, just to prove a point or screw you over.

Hopefully this just puts the nail in the coffin.