Crazy semester. Advice on how to not suck is appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Othala

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university is only 45 mins away, but it's out of state. So, to save myself some money, my adviser said I can do my gen-eds in-state as a visiting student, which is what I've been doing. As long as I don't take any of my science courses here, it's no problem.

My brilliant idea was to take my remaining 6 gen-eds this semester so that I can just work on my science courses and be done with it. No big deal, I thought! (This is the part where the facepalm is appropriate)

Last week I came down with a rather nasty URI. As I started getting better, my daughter got sick. Then, I got sick again. So, I managed to fall behind in 4 of my classes because I was terrible at time management these past two weeks.

The rough draft of my English essay is due today and I'm going to have to ask for an extension. I hate that I have to do that, but there's just no way I can bs a rough draft when I have two other papers I'm working on that are due today.

How can I make this semester not suck so bad? I'm struggling to play catch up and I don't want to go through the rest of the semester with my head just above water. It sounds conceited, but if I can stay on top of the work that's due, there's no doubt that I can walk away with A's in all these classes. I want that A.

So, what are some of your tips for catching up and staying caught up?

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel like you can make an A, then you can. Just start managing time better. Professors are not there to hurt you, they're (the good ones) facilitators of growth and learning. Let them know what's going on, manage time better, and let us know when you finish your 4.0 semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Make a plan and stick to it.

Also, sit down and just start working. Often, I've found that the biggest hurdle is the simplest one, getting started. Once you get started, it's much easier to keep going.

I can tell you that from what I've experienced in medical school so far you'll always feel somewhat behind.

It's much better to develop the skills of time management sooner rather than later.

Work hard and don't give up.