Crazy Stuff Fellow Interviewers Have Said

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nailed-it-o.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well remember that this was just an open house. I really hope that this person doesn't actually matriculate into a program.

Yeah, that'll make all the nontrads who have really pondered this thing and really spent the time shadowing, investigating, convincing friends to sneak them into cadaver labs so they can see if they can handle it.....yeah, all of us facepalmed too.

How'd someone with that limited a background get past the screeners?

This was a while ago, but when our group was asked to introduce ourselves and say something interesting one person said they did research on yeast content of beer. The interviewers were pretty amused until he said that his life basically revolved around beer and that he was basically using his grant money for free booze. I'll never forget the interviewers' faces, it was priceless...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Last year in one of my interviews ( small group ) , a guy who had a greater-than-everyone attitude because he was in the military, kept rambling about that. As we were talking about if we were trads or non trads or seniors about to finish, this guy chimes in like a true DO school interviewing champion and says " I'm a senior on the road less traveled." All I could do was cringe inside.

And btw, with all this food talk... Brazilian pizza kicks both chicagos and New York pizzas ass. And also, I've had pizza in Louisiana that is far better than giordanos in Chicago. A pile of dough and Sweet sauce isn't pizza. They ain't doin it right.

Idk where in Louisiana you got pizza better than Giordano's, but if you say anywhere near New Orleans I'm calling bs. I've lived in both cities, and nothing from NOLA could even touch decent Chicago pizza.

Reactions: 1 user
For shame, Bilbo Baggins:

bilbo-bilbo-baggins-9578023-354-500.jpg

To keep on topic- this wasn't an interview, but a tour. I was scoping out the medical school that my UG just built on my own one day (it is osteo, too) out of curiosity, and I went to the front desk to sign back out, when she had told me that she was organizing a tour for a girl who said she wanted to apply this cycle and her mother and I was invited to come along.

So, we waited a while and this high school kid shows up- tells all of us that she's in high school in Pennsylvania so there's no DO schools that she could apply to ( :shifty: ) and she was openly talking about how she wasn't sure how she would handle the anatomy lab, so she was telling her mother loudly that she needed Vicks VaporRub. In 15 minutes, I was already absolutely dumbfounded, which was preferable to the response I wanted to make to her about the whole ordeal. We walk some halls and we get to the anatomy lab.

This girl was rubbing her nose with that VaporRub like a crack-head after a few lines, her mother is just trudging along behind her dutifully, almost like an assistance animal. We open the doors and all of the tables have a nondescript black body bag on top of them. It smelled only faintly of formaldehyde; they had a very nice ventilation system in the building itself.

I had made the mistake of trying to establish rapport with this girl;

Me: I thought I'd handle this considerably worse; you know, being in a room with preserved bodies.
Her: WAIT, THOSE BAGS ARE DEAD PEOPLE?!
Guide: Well, yes, there's 28 of them and our students only have to share with one or two other people-

She then runs briskly down the halls, finds the nearest restroom, and starts retching. The guide and I looked rather askance, exchanged looks of mutual bewilderment, and her mother is exclaiming "Poor dear!" as she dutifully power-walks after her.

That was my first experience touring a medical school, and I truly wonder if I'll have a story to beat it when I apply next year.
Don't worry, you'll have plenty and they will be juicy. I wish I could tell so many but it would cause my anonymity to go out the window.

Idk where in Louisiana you got pizza better than Giordano's, but if you say anywhere near New Orleans I'm calling bs. I've lived in both cities, and nothing from NOLA could even touch decent Chicago pizza.
Johnny's pizza house. Not in Nola. But in all the smaller towns. It is so good.

in my interview, I was mentioning how I am interested in primary care because it gives me an opportunity to maintain long term relationships with my patients so I will know more about their family history and social lives,

but i am such a *******, I was soo nervous that instead of long term i said long distance relationships with patients, there were 2 interviewers and they didn''t even laugh, they looked at me like why is this idiot here :((

in my interview, I was mentioning how I am interested in primary care because it gives me an opportunity to maintain long term relationships with my patients so I will know more about their family history and social lives,

but i am such a *******, I was soo nervous that instead of long term i said long distance relationships with patients, there were 2 interviewers and they didn''t even laugh, they looked at me like why is this idiot here :((

Did you at least correct yourself? Most people have minor **** ups and hiccups during interviews tbh. That's just how it works.

That's ****in funny. There's no reason why they the interviewers shouldn't have laughed. They must have been uptight or awkward people.

Reactions: 1 users

If I were your interviewer I would have laughed and asked if that was a Freudian slip, but I don't think it's really that big of a deal. Everyone flubs up at some point during an interview

I've actually never heard of them, so I'll have to take your word. The closest I came to good Chicago style down there was the Midway, but in general the pizza was sadly mediocre :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I always hear Cali has the best mexican food. I wonder why that is.

I think its settled then.

Cali =sushi and Mexican food

Midwest =BBQ

NY=pizza bagels Chinese takeout and delis

Florida = Latin america food

Chicago = casseroles and jibaritos (pending goros ruling of course)

Maryland = crab cakes

sorry this really made me laugh, I live in AZ and have been to Cali. AZ has the best mexican food, we are only a few hours drive from Mexico, think about it

Correction: San Diego has the best Mexican food. Only 15 minute drive.

lol I mean with how close we are to Mexico, and being that over 50% of our population is Mexican, we have real Mexican food here. Maybe what you mean for San diego, is mexican-american food.

lol I mean with how close we are to Mexico, and being that over 50% of our population is Mexican, we have real Mexican food here. Maybe what you mean for San diego, is mexican-american food.

Okay okay, our Mexican food is a bit San Diego-ed. But I still dig it. Also San Diego has awesome fish taco shops.

Just as the poster above, I misspoke and said "allopathic physicians may have a tendency to over diagnose patients who suffer lower back pain" and the doctor was like " ... You mean over prescribe, right?"

We had a laugh about that.

As for my story, I had an individual who, I am absolutely certain, was told to smile during the interview process. It's great advice. But this girl ... she spent every second in front of the school staff with this outrageously huge smile, so wide my mouth hurt just looking at her! Once away from the doctors, she would be normal and smile normally, then when they were back the rather creepy smile would return. She would somehow manage to talk with her mouth completely stretched. It was remarkable !

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just as the poster above, I misspoke and said "allopathic physicians may have a tendency to over diagnose patients who suffer lower back pain" and the doctor was like " ... You mean over prescribe, right?"

We had a laugh about that.

As for my story, I had an individual who, I am absolutely certain, was told to smile during the interview process. It's great advice. But this girl ... she spent every second in front of the school staff with this outrageously huge smile, so wide my mouth hurt just looking at her! Once away from the doctors, she would be normal and smile normally, then when they were back the rather creepy smile would return. She would somehow manage to talk with her mouth completely stretched. It was remarkable !

316021_1256158850219_full.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
On the shuttle bus on the way to a school located in the mountains, one of my fellow interviewees asked "So, do like, animals live on these mountains?".... I could not tell if she was trolling or what, but the driver handled it well instead of saying "duh."

At a school in a notoriously cold region, an obnoxious candidate ended their reign of terror with this question:

"Does this school have indoor and outdoor heating?"
"Outdoor heating?"
"Yes, heaters that heat the outdoors."
"Well we certainly have indoor heating. As for outdoor heating... It's called global warming. Next question."

Reactions: 6 users
At a school in a notoriously cold region, an obnoxious candidate ended their reign of terror with this question:

"Does this school have indoor and outdoor heating?"
"Outdoor heating?"
"Yes, heaters that heat the outdoors."
"Well we certainly have indoor heating. As for outdoor heating... It's called global warming. Next question."

:laugh:
Well you know, I suppose maybe the school *could* have put about 500 or 1000 of these suckers around campus ;):

patioheater-lg.jpg

did you get into said scahool?

I don't have any good stories, but this thread must continue. This is by far my favorite one yet.

Not an interview but at an open house were everyone was dressed rather decent there's one kid dressed in torn up jeans and a t-shirt. The admissions counselor leading the tour explains what MCAT score a competitive applicant has, torn up jeans kid says "Whats the MCAT?"..... He was serious... smh

On the shuttle bus on the way to a school located in the mountains, one of my fellow interviewees asked "So, do like, animals live on these mountains?".... I could not tell if she was trolling or what, but the driver handled it well instead of saying "duh."
Bob handles everything that comes at him with ease....;)

This. Love Johnny's. Cheap, tasty, and all-you-can eat.

Bob handles everything that comes at him with ease....;)

I had a suspicion that was the school you were talking about.

We're on our campus tour. The guide (who was the main admin person for the ADCOM) is showing us the lecture hall and telling us about the kitchen area for the students. She wasn't going to be able to show it to us due to time constraints. He DEMANDED she show it to him- she gave in after a couple of times. Later, while waiting for the interviews, he paced back and forth in front of the dean's offices talking to himself. I thought for sure he was going to be rejected. Nope, showed up on the 1st day. I about fell out of my chair!

I went to a few small town Arizona taco shops this last week and they were all just as Americanized as many in San Diego. For the record, there tons of communities in California that are well over 50% Mexican. There are certainly more Mexicans in California than in Arizona.

This. Love Johnny's. Cheap, tasty, and all-you-can eat.

I had a suspicion that was the school you were talking about.

We're on our campus tour. The guide (who was the main admin person for the ADCOM) is showing us the lecture hall and telling us about the kitchen area for the students. She wasn't going to be able to show it to us due to time constraints. He DEMANDED she show it to him- she gave in after a couple of times. Later, while waiting for the interviews, he paced back and forth in front of the dean's offices talking to himself. I thought for sure he was going to be rejected. Nope, showed up on the 1st day. I about fell out of my chair!
I feel ya... People like that get in and I'm still waiting lol