CS Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaminK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to book a hotel for the Step 2 CS in Houston. I was looking online at the hotels near the testing center and it appears that the Clarion Hotel is closest, although according to the USMLE website it is not?! Anyone who has taken the test in Houston have any recommendations on where to stay? I want to stay within walking distance from the testing center so I can just walk there in the morning. Is the USMLE website wrong in saying the Clarion hotel is 1.2 miles away because when I checked it was only 0.2 miles away making it the closest? Can you walk there from the Marriott and Amerisuites easily?? Any help please!

Members don't see this ad.

I know there is a hotel just a block away i.e. 0.2 miles. I can't recall if it is Clarion Inn. what I do recall is that it is a twin hotel. What I mean is that two hotels are sharing the same block space and the other is a Hampton Inn. You can call the Clarion people and ask if they have a Hampton Inn next door. This location is definitely walking distance.

I think I remember a Sofitel and maybe a Wyndham Gardens? pretty close. Nowhere was really walkable in my opinon considering you have to be dressed up. It's way far away from downtown Houston and the Texas Medical Center (about a 30 minute drive) in this business/suburb area near Bush Intercontinental Airport. Not at all what I was expecting so don't think you're going to be in a downtown area. If you're flying I recommend staying near the airport and just taking a taxi that morning. If you're driving, it's in a tall bank building with Klein Bank written on the front. You have to go around to the back entrance near the parking deck, the front entrance is for the bank. I took it a few weeks ago so PM me if you need anymore info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Step 2 CS in Houston about a month ago - stayed at the Sheraton North Houston. VERY nice room for $95 with great bed (down comforter & lots of fluffy pillows). Complained cause my toilet wouldn't flush and they gave me a free breakfast. Best part is the free shuttle to & from the airport & to & from the testing center. Very smooth stay - would highly recommend, check out the link below. Have fun, try not to remember how much it costs, and DON'T study! :rolleyes:

Hotel Discounts for Step 2 CS
http://www.aamc.org/meetings/specmtgs/clinicalskills/start.htm