Disability Insurance (new grad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jelee915

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It has been an incredibly long time since I have posted here, but I was hoping to get some insight. I will be graduating this week and was wondering if other working PTs/newly graduated PTs have gotten or currently have disability insurance?

Much appreciated in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

It has been an incredibly long time since I have posted here, but I was hoping to get some insight. I will be graduating this week and was wondering if other working PTs/newly graduated PTs have gotten or currently have disability insurance?

Much appreciated in advance!
Most employers offer short term and long term disability. I always opt in. If you are ever sick or injured and unable to work, how will you pay your bills? Even if you are permanently disabled, it takes at least 2 years to get SSI benefits with very few exceptions.

Most employers offer short term and long term disability. I always opt in. If you are ever sick or injured and unable to work, how will you pay your bills? Even if you are permanently disabled, it takes at least 2 years to get SSI benefits with very few exceptions.
Thank you so much. Besides from disability from employers, do you have your own personal disability insurance as well?

No, I have never made the effort to find a plan that was not tied to my employment.