Distractions from studying for DATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richnator

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I admit, I'm no hardcore studious individual that can study six hours straight. Maybe it is me, but I tend to study 1 hour, then nap 2 hours, b/c studying really tires me out. Don't get me wrong, I do want to be a dentist, and I know the effort I must put into it. But, I would like to know who else have these problems, b/c everyone else here seems to be the ideal, study-addicts that finds great pleasure in studying.

Members don't see this ad.

Richnator,
I think all of us here on SDN can relate to your concerns in one way or another. For me, I have a habit of worrying about how other people perform, and this is nothing but pernicious. It is likely that there is going to be a huge variation between the overall---what's the word I'm looking for (someone help me out)----dedicataion maybe of those who take the time to sign in to SDN to give advice on studying. Realize that everyone is different. If studying for 2hrs and then napping has proved successful for you while studying stick with it. I studied for so many hours in one day only because I knew what I needed to do to be successful on the DAT. It is totally an individual matter. It certainly is disconcerning for some to see the frequent correlation between hours of studying and DAT scores among members of SDN, but don't think you must emulate this trend to be successful. Depending on how much time you have until the DAT, how comfortable you feel, and your overall feeling of the effectiveness of your current 2hr then nap study schedule, plan your study schedule accordingly. Studying for the DAT is a grueling process and EVERYONE on SDN will attest to this. It is boring (for most, but not some :D) , and mentally exhausting. Just be aware of these common side-effects of studying and do not be afraid to step-up the pace of your studying a bit.

-Richard

The best thing you can do is find a study buddy. No, you don't need to talk or exchange information. The best thing is to have someone to go to the library and just sit there with you while you study. That way, if you decide to bail, he or she can apply some peer pressure and keep you in your seat and vice versa.

I'm a new member here, and already I can feel the sense of community and care from fellow members. Thanks for the advice, Rich n Mcataz. I'll be sure to implement, and consider them before I go on a lazy streak. Okie, back to my studyin, n hopefully less nappin :-D

One thing you can do is just build up your endurance. Start with an hour, then go 75 min, then 90, etc. This helps train your brain to stay focused longer. BTW there is nothing wrong with getting up every 30 min for a quick break (1-2 min), but I'd try to steer clear of those 2 hour naps. Think of it as preperation for the studying you'll have to pull off in dental school.