Do I Have to Practice in the State That I Take the NPTE in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratitatkittykat

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I have heard conflicting information. Basically, I'm just wondering if I go to school and take/ pass the NPTE in, for example Oregon, would that mean that I have to practice in that specific state forever? Would I be unable to practice in another state? And, if so, is it more challenging to get a job in a different state than you studied in?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, the NPTE is good in any state. After passing the boards, and then again anytime you switch states, you have to apply to get your license in the state you want to practice in. The process will be different in each state, but is mostly about filling out forms and paying a fee. Some states have additional requirements like an ethics test or background check, but no one makes you take the boards again. Also, many states are now part of the PT compact, which means your license is good across several states.

Reactions: 1 users
No, the NPTE is good in any state. After passing the boards, and then again anytime you switch states, you have to apply to get your license in the state you want to practice in. The process will be different in each state, but is mostly about filling out forms and paying a fee. Some states have additional requirements like an ethics test or background check, but no one makes you take the boards again. Also, many states are now part of the PT compact, which means your license is good across several states.
Awesome, thank you for this information!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Do you know if I register for NC and then move to, say, Georgia if I have to pay the licensure renewal fee for NC every year?

Best states within the compact to sit for the NPTE as your home state?