Medical Do I need to report this as an institutional action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I learned that I have a "non-academic dishonesty/alcohol/gathering" accusation listed on my student conduct record from half a decade ago. My conduct record states that I was "not responsible" in relation to the event.

I don't drink, and wasn't involved with said gathering. I explained this in my meeting with housing staff at the time of the incident.

Is this something that I need to address?

This sounds like something you do not need to address, but that it would not hurt to address in a very short way. My suggestion:

"During my time at X college, an infraction I was suspected of was listed in my record. I was not responsible for the event mentioned, and I was found not culpable by the university."

You could probably get away with not mentioning it, but just in case you get a reviewer whose reading comprehension is bad and doesn't see the "not responsible" or does not interpret it appropriately, I think something along the lines of this matter of fact way of stating, "This is on my record, and the university did not find me responsible" is a good thing to write on your application. That being said, I imagine some of my colleagues might have different views. I don't think you need to mention your views about drinking or anything else; just that you were found not guilty so that it is repeated in case anyone reads it incorrectly and to make sure there is no doubt.

Ultimately, either way, I highly doubt this will affect your application in any meaningful way.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you answered your question! Just write in the IA box what you wrote here.

I'm surprised that your school keeps this info on your records.

They do now. There was a change to FERPA about that in case it became a pattern (the Greek Life/Secret Societies recurrent problem with hazing non society students). Technically, there are supposed to be nondiscloseable as the case is closed without negative action (there is an action that the student is given exculpatory status).

OP, this is not a pattern, you'll be fine. I fully agree with @tantacles advice on how to report it due to an overworked or careless admissions staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.