Emergency room reality shows an invasion of privacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiskyFugu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about shows like "Trauma: Life in the ER".

First off, lemme say from the outset that I'm a medical student and not some patient-advocate with a chip on my shoulder.

But I watch these shows from time to time, such as today, and one thought that ran through my head was this:

Who is it who allows camera-men (or women) to come into the ED and film these patients?

I realize that most of these patients are probably asked whether or not their story and footage can be aired on television, but simply allowing a camera-man to be present without prior consent from the patient is a violation of these patients' privacy. I mean, there is a hell of a lot of blurred-out nudity on these shows, meaning that 1. the camera-man was seeing these patients nude, and 2. the patients were not aware of it. Similarly, with or without the nudity, the camera-man is still not a health care worker involved in the patient's care and shouldn't be privy to a patient's condition or care.

I also realize that there are other examples of "non health care personnel" being allowed to witness patients' health care, such as surgical equipment reps being allowed into the OR. But at very least, these people are serving a purpose. They're helping the surgeon to familiarize himself/herself with the equipment, etc. But a camera-man, in contrast, is of absolutely no benefit to anyone.

Finally, I realize that emergency departments aren't exactly the most private areas of a hospital, and that it's much tougher to maintain privacy there. But allowing camera crew into them is a deliberate violation of privacy rather than an inadvertent, unavoidable one.

Hence, I'm awfully curious as to how these things are allowed to happen in U.S. hospitals, both from an ethical standpoint and from a HIPAA standpoint. Even if the ethical problems don't bother anyone, it seems to me that, at very least, a camera-man being present and witnessing a patient in an emergency room without the patient's prior consent would be a gargantuan HIPAA violation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/trauma/behindthescenes/producerqanda_02.html

Q:
Is it difficult to obtain consent to air a patient case on national television?
A: We take patient confidentiality very seriously and only feature patients who sign releases. In fact, many featured patients focus on how their personal trauma could benefit their community and the nationwide audience by alerting others, for example, of the importance of wearing seat belts or of child safety tips.

Q:
A: We take patient confidentiality very seriously and only feature patients who sign releases. In fact, many featured patients focus on how their personal trauma could benefit their community and the nationwide audience by alerting others, for example, of the importance of wearing seat belts or of child safety tips.

Plus, what if I get a sweet spin-off show: When PID goes bad, the untold story. I'd be FAMOUS!

do you really have nothing better to do than contemplate about pt. privacy on a TV show?

who the hell cares FFS, just watch it, enjoy it, or dont watch it and dont dwell on it.

do you really have nothing better to do than contemplate about pt. privacy on a TV show?

who the hell cares FFS, just watch it, enjoy it, or dont watch it and dont dwell on it.

Congratulations, Conj. You have got to be the world’s biggest a-hole. I’m a fairly tolerant guy, but if you were within an arm’s reach of me, I’d be stomping your head into the ground right now.

I was starting a discussion about patient privacy in ER reality shows. Everyone caught on to this fact........except you.

Instead, you simply assume that I was just beside myself in anger over the privacy violations that are inherent in these shows.

Q:

I did a web search on this topic, and found a very interesting article about it.

One article, interviewing an EM physician (Dr. Joel Geiderman), pointed out something very similar to what I’ve said:

"The Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations has said filming can take place as long as it is not broadcast without getting permission from the patient or the patient's legal representative. But when someone says 'no,' his or her confidentiality has already been violated, [Dr. Geiderman] said. What right does the camera crew have to be in there when someone comes in to have catheters inserted and their clothes cut off? Don't they have the right not to be seen?”

Personally, if I were having a Foley inserted into my penis and someone was there filming it, I’d be fuming mad if I found out about it....even if the footage was never aired.

Congratulations, Conj. You have got to be the world’s biggest a-hole. I’m a fairly tolerant guy, but if you were within an arm’s reach of me, I’d be stomping your head into the ground right now.

I was starting a discussion about patient privacy in ER reality shows. Everyone caught on to this fact........except you.

Instead, you simply assume that I was just beside myself in anger over the privacy violations that are inherent in these shows.

Not sure it's a poor assumption about you being besides yourself in anger if you get pissed off to the verge of violence for a standard internet forum remark.

I think the point is that none of this matters if you aren't the program allowing the TV show, and if you aren't the TV show itself. I bet their lawyers know more than we do, and wouldn't do things that would get them in legal trouble.

Their lawyers also don't threaten to stomp peoples heads into the ground for snippy comments.

Congratulations, Conj. You have got to be the world’s biggest a-hole.

If making a snippy remark make him the world's biggest ahole, you got to get out more often.

I’m a fairly tolerant guy, but if you were within an arm’s reach of me, I’d be stomping your head into the ground right now.

A fairly tolerant guy ... with anger issues.

You do seem pretty angry.

Not sure it's a poor assumption about you being besides yourself in anger if you get pissed off to the verge of violence for a standard internet forum remark.

Well, what can I say? Even the most tolerant people have short fuses when it comes to certain things....such as condescending a-holes like Conj who are so rotten that they’d make an obnoxious remark to a perfect stranger looking to have a simple discussion about a topic.

Seriously, are you denying the fact that there are people in this world who deserve a thorough ass-whipping?

There's at least one on this thread, but you probably wouldn't like the answer if we all took a vote.

And here is the obligatory "Let's keep it civil" post so keep it civil. Let's definitely refrain from name calling.

Let me point out that discussion boards are good places to have somewhat inane discussions.