EPIC Phamacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am totally unaware of informaticist pharmacy job roles, though I am quite aware of hospital error reporting and monitoring and clinical skills. This job advert popped up and looked intriguing, they are going to pay to be EPIC certified, though I am not sure of the transportable utility of that. What do you guys think:

Performance expectations will be covered in the orientation and preceptor phases of your orientation to your job.

• Achieve/maintain one or more Epic Certifications.
  • Submit weekly work plans w/daily updates on execution status to team leads/manager.
  • Task/Ticket documentation effectively represents actions and passes audit review.
  • Successfully implement new system functionality to end users.
  • Successfully implement resolutions to end user reported issues.
  • Successfully Support remote end users and/or support end users remotely.
  • Obtain Change Management approval for all build prior to build steps.
  • Create Content Management tickets for all approved build.
  • Demonstrates knowledge and competency in treatment of stroke patients using Alteplase.
  • Demonstrates initiative to maintain/meet licensure and certification requirements.
  • Demonstrates ability to complete and fulfill duties of a pharmacist.
I understand part of the job is to receive requests to change order sets, e.g. warnings on ABX suitability, etc., but what else would this job entail? Would it be a dead-end job, with employers thinking clinical or even staffing skills are atrophying. What more about the job can you expand on?

Members don't see this ad.

I certainly wouldn't consider it a dead-end job. There are many opportunities for an informatics pharmacist out there, but It is a divergent path from the clinical one. There are many roles available at the analyst level. Some common ones are supporting inpatient pharmacy, outpatient pharmacy, cancer centers, research, reporting, automation and dispensing, etc. There are also roles in management and administration, data analysis, and systems design. I've known people who went on to work for vendors to support things like FDB, Pyxis, infusion pumps, you name it. There's even the option to move into contract consulting if you don't mind travel and want to make a lot of money.

I would recommend searching for some of the older threads on this topic here. There's a lot of good information, and it is how I managed to make the switch nearly a decade ago.