ERAS CV - Can presentations at weekly grand rounds in front of attendings and residents be listed under oral presentations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucid_interval

PERC my SOFA HEART
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if it will look like resume padding

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, list it. Just label it clearly.
Have you been able to check out faculty CV's in your field from various institutions... faculty almost always list those lectures and didactics on their CV's as presentations delivered. Why shouldn't you?

Again, just label things clearly.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice is slightly different. If this is a competitive process -- i.e. you were picked over other people -- then yes. If this is a required thing where everyone presents their patient, then no. That's just part of your work.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not list these. 99% of residents at some point give multiple presentations in front of the rotation/department/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Wondering if it will look like resume padding

Absolutely do not list this/these. I would personally discard any application that I saw this on. It is clearly padding and not in the spirit of what an oral research presentation is. That section is for actual presentations or posters at actual conferences.

If you want to put those small talks on your CV as an attending, that's fine, but it's not what should be on ERAS.

• Dislike
Absolutely do not list this/these. I would personally discard any application that I saw this on. It is clearly padding and not in the spirit of what an oral research presentation is. That section is for actual presentations or posters at actual conferences.

If you want to put those small talks on your CV as an attending, that's fine, but it's not what should be on ERAS.

Not picking on you -- but I'm curious: Are you a medical student or intern? In which case, you discard no one's app (and should not speak in this resident subforum with absolutes as if you have extensive [or any] experience with sitting on residency committees or being involved in selection processes).

For both you (and OP): here is more discussion on it, where interestingly just last year you deferred to program directors... Are you applying this year? Might that have influence on your tone suddenly?

Just a thought. Strive to be cognizant of your biases.

OP: if you list, just label clearly... If it is grand rounds then feel free to list it. If it is a talk in the team room at the end of your medicine rotation, don't list it. Big picture: it's not going to make or break your app.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not picking on you -- but I'm curious: Are you a medical student or intern? In which case, you discard no one's app (and should not speak in this resident subforum with absolutes as if you have extensive [or any] experience with sitting on residency committees or being involved in selection processes).

For both you (and OP): here is more discussion on it, where interestingly just last year you deferred to program directors... Are you applying this year? Might that have influence on your tone suddenly?

OP: if you list, just label clearly... If it is grand rounds then feel free to list it. If it is a talk in the team room at the end of your medicine rotation, don't list it. Big picture: it's not going to make or break your app.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Very true, still a medical student, so you're correct that I absolutely don't have any say in reviewing apps.

I believe that I was consistent in my response before that it is not appropriate, but did add a disclaimer at the end of my previous post to defer to a PD. The only thing that has changed now is having seen many more applications and talked to additional faculty. The general consensus is to not fake/fluff your application and that obvious attempts to do so would be frowned upon.

Fluffing your application is very unlikely to actually get you any additional interviews. It is likely to irritate or catch the eye of some subset of people reviewing your application, which can/will negatively impact you. I've made my case for what I think is correct and what is beneficial. Feel free to disregard my thoughts if desired.

I think my response is somewhere in between aPD's and Frazier's.

For whatever reason, "Grand Rounds" is still considered to be a special type of institutional conference that is considered noteworthy and worthy of going on a CV--for example, my current institution on our CV template specifically lists a grand rounds talk as something that can go under an "invited oral presentation." Knowing this deference that is given to the "Grand Rounds" designation, a bunch of institutions give med students/residents/fellows a chance to present at these presentations as a way to buff up their CVs, even if it kind of bastardizes how meaningful the conference is supposed to be in the first place. I personally think it's a little silly because now nobody really has any clue how meaningful these "oral presentations" are on a CV, but whatever.

So if you presented at a conference that is labeled as a department Grand Rounds, then you can list it. The one part of your description that gives me pause is that you said this was a "weekly" occurrence--if this was something where each week the med students and residents present an "interesting case" as a warm up to the actual speaker, then NO, I would not include that. And to be clear, if this was any other departmental conference that was NOT clearly labeled as Grand Rounds, I think you also shouldn't bother including that.

I gave a presentation at grand rounds to residents/faculty and was told directly by the PD that I should list it, since it is still scholarly activity. When I put it on ERAS, I labeled it clearly (i.e "Grand Round presentation for residents and faculty at _____ Medical Center") or something like that, so there is no confusion.

I think my response is somewhere in between aPD's and Frazier's.

For whatever reason, "Grand Rounds" is still considered to be a special type of institutional conference that is considered noteworthy and worthy of going on a CV--for example, my current institution on our CV template specifically lists a grand rounds talk as something that can go under an "invited oral presentation." Knowing this deference that is given to the "Grand Rounds" designation, a bunch of institutions give med students/residents/fellows a chance to present at these presentations as a way to buff up their CVs, even if it kind of bastardizes how meaningful the conference is supposed to be in the first place. I personally think it's a little silly because now nobody really has any clue how meaningful these "oral presentations" are on a CV, but whatever.

So if you presented at a conference that is labeled as a department Grand Rounds, then you can list it. The one part of your description that gives me pause is that you said this was a "weekly" occurrence--if this was something where each week the med students and residents present an "interesting case" as a warm up to the actual speaker, then NO, I would not include that. And to be clear, if this was any other departmental conference that was NOT clearly labeled as Grand Rounds, I think you also shouldn't bother including that.
well, I mean it is called "Grand" after all

If you were the invited speaker for grand rounds , list it... if you were one of many presenting research at a meeting that was during a grand rounds spot, don’t...

Having seen many applications this year, I've seen it both ways. I roll my eyes when someone lists an 'oral presentation' that was more of a resident didactic thing (that belongs under teaching experiences, not an oral presentation), but if you were chosen to give a presentation for Grand Rounds, it's fine to list it. As long as you make it clear what and where it was, people will figure it out.

This would be so much easier if we could just see an actual CV instead of the weird formatting that ERAS does. Especially once you're beyond residency applications.

I've seen people list presentations at noon conferences, and "oral presentations" they have during ward rounds or when talking to an attending one on one in their office before/after work.