ERAS USMLE 2 Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STsleeper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In ERAS, a portion of the application asks for examination history. I've taken Step 1 and filled in the corresponding required fields (i.e. pass status, date taken). I'd like to hold off on taking Step 2 until the end of Oct., and I don't want to submit my scores until I see them. Here's my question: Do I specify in ERAS that I "will take" Step 2 and fill in the date I expect to take the exam (again, the date field is required for all exams listed whether they are already completed or planned for the future)? I'm afraid that if I don't even mention Step 2, it may reflect an incomplete application. However, if I do list Step 2...programs will know the date I plan on taking it and will expect results soon after.

Members don't see this ad.

STsleeper said:
In ERAS, a portion of the application asks for examination history. I've taken Step 1 and filled in the corresponding required fields (i.e. pass status, date taken). I'd like to hold off on taking Step 2 until the end of Oct., and I don't want to submit my scores until I see them. Here's my question: Do I specify in ERAS that I "will take" Step 2 and fill in the date I expect to take the exam (again, the date field is required for all exams listed whether they are already completed or planned for the future)? I'm afraid that if I don't even mention Step 2, it may reflect an incomplete application. However, if I do list Step 2...programs will know the date I plan on taking it and will expect results soon after.

Either way the schools will know wen you've taken it, so the game can only go on so long. If you're not confident about what you may make as compared to your Step 1 (as I am dreading since I didn't do stellar on my step 1), then wait. If you really don't care b/c you did really well on Step 1 then stop spazzing out. Either way, here's a thought - most folks who did reasonable on Step I wait until Dec-Feb to take Step 2 ANYWAY, cause essentially it won't matter. Point is, have all you can in to ERAS when you apply, then go from there. I am taking my Step 2 Friday, only because I just completed 4th year (long story) and I have nothing better to do since I'm done with med school (woo hoo!)

Good luck! :eek:

i'm an ms4 applying and maybe we have a different eras but there's no "will take" exam section...just an exam history in the exams section which specifies which exams you have taken.

you can choose to release future scores (which 99/100 people say not to do) as they become available but that's really it.

i would think that programs assume we'll take step 2 before we're done with med school.

fishtolive said:
i'm an ms4 applying and maybe we have a different eras but there's no "will take" exam section...just an exam history in the exams section which specifies which exams you have taken.

I'm also applying this year, and it definitely had a "Will Take" option on step 2, and even gives you a place to put the date if you choose that option.