Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
So I was thinking about this while cleaning today. Honestly, I'm surprised that no one has tried to develop an alternative yet; VMCAS really is very expensive, especially when you consider the quality of the product. I don't know if things have improved in recent years, but the year that I applied (2015), there were so many little bugs and broken features that it honestly felt to me like a beta build. I realize that they were just starting to roll out VMCAS 3.0 at the time and, yes, they'd had a testing period... but that testing period should have gone on for much longer than it did. Most of those bugs were appearing in features that had worked flawlessly in previous versions of VMCAS, too, like the chronological ordering for experiences and phone number entry. That's not even touching upon the disaster that was Professional Transcript Entry... thankfully, I don't think that that one has come back. So there's that, at least. I think that these hiccups would be much easier to swallow if we did not have to pay upwards of hundreds or even thousands of dollars for the service.

There's no reason to have to shell out $150 minimum for a broken mess of an application with mediocre customer service. That's way too much money to pay for that "experience", frankly, and vet school applications are expensive enough even when we just consider the leadup costs (ordering transcripts, GRE, etc.), supplementals, and interview expenses. VMCAS is one of the most costly parts of the process and it doesn't have to be.

Eh, I'm just rambling. I don't know, maybe I could team up with some other people to brainstorm the details of how a low-cost (or perhaps even free?) alternative application service might work and help develop one in the future? I don't know what method we'd use to send applications off to the schools once they're complete, or even really how we'd go about getting the schools on board with accepting applications from a new service. But I think that we can all agree that some competition would be good and, yanno... It's fun to think about, anyway.

What's sad is that the umbrella company who runs VMCAS also runs the common application services for med schools, PA schools, law schools, etc., and they all have the same problems because they're all the same system. When a friend was filling put her PA application a few years ago, I helped her with a lot of it cause I'd already filled out VMCAS twice by that point. Literally exactly the same in every way.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was thinking about this while cleaning today. Honestly, I'm surprised that no one has tried to develop an alternative yet; VMCAS really is very expensive, especially when you consider the quality of the product. I don't know if things have improved in recent years, but the year that I applied (2015), there were so many little bugs and broken features that it honestly felt to me like a beta build. I realize that they were just starting to roll out VMCAS 3.0 at the time and, yes, they'd had a testing period... but that testing period should have gone on for much longer than it did. Most of those bugs were appearing in features that had worked flawlessly in previous versions of VMCAS, too, like the chronological ordering for experiences and phone number entry. That's not even touching upon the disaster that was Professional Transcript Entry... thankfully, I don't think that that one has come back. So there's that, at least. I think that these hiccups would be much easier to swallow if we did not have to pay upwards of hundreds or even thousands of dollars for the service.

There's no reason to have to shell out $150 minimum for a broken mess of an application with mediocre customer service. That's way too much money to pay for that "experience", frankly, and vet school applications are expensive enough even when we just consider the leadup costs (ordering transcripts, GRE, etc.), supplementals, and interview expenses. VMCAS is one of the most costly parts of the process and it doesn't have to be.

Eh, I'm just rambling. I don't know, maybe I could team up with some other people to brainstorm the details of how a low-cost (or perhaps even free?) alternative application service might work and help develop one in the future? I don't know what method we'd use to send applications off to the schools once they're complete, or even really how we'd go about getting the schools on board with accepting applications from a new service. But I think that we can all agree that some competition would be good and, yanno... It's fun to think about, anyway.
What most struck me was the obsurdity of hand entering transcripts only to send in originals to have them checked. I don't know much about computers but surely there's a way to make that easier. The entry of experiences I felt could always be better. How many times do we get-well I only did this during the summers so how would I enter that to be truly accurate? Also I feel maybe you could design something that like auto populates the "type" of thing it is based on name. So honor roll would auto classifies to honor vs award. Also like having to manually go in and select what class satisfies each prerequisite for each school like biochem is biochem. I feel maybe you can make most of these things auto fill persay and then applicants have an option to review correctness before submitting. Hardest things to overcome is probably hosting and distribution. Who knows one day you might think about contacting schools/vmcas and see their thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
Also like having to manually go in and select what class satisfies each prerequisite for each school like biochem is biochem. I feel maybe you can make most of these things auto fill persay and then applicants have an option to review correctness before submitting.
Relating to this, all of your classes have to be by their exact name on your transcript. Some of mine were weird af transcript names like “As A Nat Sci” for my psych class. And my biochem lab was an upper level writing class but had some mumbo jumbo name with a bunch of letters missing, but it actually counted as an upper level writing/technical writing course on some (most? all?) of my apps. So those wouldn’t have auto filled with the correct class. There are a couple other instances just on my personal transcripts where things like this would’ve happened too or where multiple classes I’d taken could have counted.

Members don't see this ad :)
What most struck me was the obsurdity of hand entering transcripts only to send in originals to have them checked. I don't know much about computers but surely there's a way to make that easier.
Also for this, I think it’s partly because the schools are relying on vmcas to ensure that all of the classes match what is on the transcript so applicants don’t have to send 8 copies of each transcript to all the schools they’re applying to and pay extra money if their transcripts have a fee (some of mine did). (At least according to uiuc) Vmcas doesn’t send the actual transcript to the schools when they get the apps.

Eh, hosting wouldn't be a huge issue now that I've switched to a much more robust webhost with better support for server-side applications/databases. I would almost definitely have to pay quite a bit more since it'd require significantly higher bandwidth, though. Either way, I don't know that I'd have the capability to build something from the ground-up like that for quite a while, at least by myself. I suppose that it's nice to think about, at least, and @MixedAnimals77 and @SkiOtter have brought up good points to consider.

Anyway, question for you guys: my domain transfer is still in progress. I've got the frontend for the program done, but am still working on the backend---in simple terms, the design of the page and actual form is finished, but I'm still working on the script that takes the user input and "reads" it in order to provide feedback. During this process... in order to help me organize things better, mostly... I've made an absolute beast of a table of pretty much everything there is to know about each school. It's like the AAVMC chart, but in HTML format (so there are sources and links for everything) and on steroids. If you'd like, I can go ahead and post it here once I finish up the last few pieces---I'd like a few extra eyes to look things over and make sure everything is accurate and I figured that it might be helpful for current and future applicants. I could easily have it ready to go within a couple of hours, tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Either way, I don't know that I'd have the capability to build something from the ground-up like that for quite a while, at least by myself. I suppose that it's nice to think about, at least, and @MixedAnimals77 and @SkiOtter have brought up good points to consider.
It’s definitely a cool idea and vmcas DOES need a decent amount about it changed, but some things people complain about (like transcript entry and still having to send transcripts for verification) probably have a reason (like saving $50-$200 on sending transcripts to multiple schools, depending on the cost. Two of mine were $10, one was $5, two were free). Vmcas at least keeps the transcripts so you don’t have to resend them if nothing has changed from that school. Also keep GREs (or at least kept mine) if sent to a VMCAS school code.

Relating to this, all of your classes have to be by their exact name on your transcript. Some of mine were weird af transcript names like “As A Nat Sci” for my psych class. And my biochem lab was an upper level writing class but had some mumbo jumbo name with a bunch of letters missing, but it actually counted as an upper level writing/technical writing course on some (most? all?) of my apps. So those wouldn’t have auto filled with the correct class. There are a couple other instances just on my personal transcripts where things like this would’ve happened too or where multiple classes I’d taken could have counted.
That's why you would have the option to go in, but for me my biochem class was literally biochem 411 so it could pick those things out easily.
Also for this, I think it’s partly because the schools are relying on vmcas to ensure that all of the classes match what is on the transcript so applicants don’t have to send 8 copies of each transcript to all the schools they’re applying to and pay extra money if their transcripts have a fee (some of mine did). (At least according to uiuc) Vmcas doesn’t send the actual transcript to the schools when they get the apps.
Well IDK if it's possible, but I was thinking something where you can just upload or send a digital copy of a transcript and it auto fills. Maybe we haven't come that far in technology yet :shrug:

That's why you would have the option to go in, but for me my biochem class was literally biochem 411 so it could pick those things out easily.

Well IDK if it's possible, but I was thinking something where you can just upload or send a digital copy of a transcript and it auto fills. Maybe we haven't come that far in technology yet :shrug:
But if you’re a biochem major you’re gonna have 600 biochem classes for it to pick. I had a bunch of different chem classes it could pick from too because that was my major. My math classes it said I could pick calc 1 or a higher level calc. So I picked my highest grade out of calc 1-3. I think it’s a good idea but even going back through some things could be missed, like exchanging a class for a higher level one or choosing repeated classes. I’ve also taken multiple nutrition classes because I originally only had my sights set on MSU and they accepted human nutrition (when it was required) so I took that before I expanded my list and realized I needed animal specific nutrition. So a system would have to determine what nutrition class to pick as well.

I think they used to have professional transcript entry that you could pay for but I think there were problems with that.

I liked how I had the ability to choose the humanities / elective courses that I had the highest grades in. I feel like with automatic transcript entry there would be more problems because people would be lazy and not double check it and say “but VMCAS did it that way!”

Reactions: 1 users
I liked how I had the ability to choose the humanities / elective courses that I had the highest grades in. I feel like with automatic transcript entry there would be more problems because people would be lazy and not double check it and say “but VMCAS did it that way!”
Totally forgot about electives. But basically the same situation as my math classes and my technical writing vs comp 2

If computers can't even read a capcha, how the heck is it supposed to read my transcripts? I can barely make sense out of them

Reactions: 2 users
I've made an absolute beast of a table of pretty much everything there is to know about each school. It's like the AAVMC chart, but in HTML format (so there are sources and links for everything) and on steroids. If you'd like, I can go ahead and post it here once I finish up the last few pieces---I'd like a few extra eyes to look things over and make sure everything is accurate and I figured that it might be helpful for current and future applicants. I could easily have it ready to go within a couple of hours, tops.
Hilarious, past me. Hilarious. Needless to say, a "couple of hours" turned into "about four days" as I continued to add more and more information. Even now, I feel like there's more that I could include, but honestly this thing is monstrous enough as-is. But if there's any more information in particular you'd like to see included, you can let me know and I will consider adding it.

Anyway, since I promised that I'd at least put up the information that I have for you guys while I continue working on the actual program that utilizes it... here you go: Towards Those Mountains - Veterinary School Admissions Information Tables

A few things to note:
  • Firstly, if you are on mobile, I highly highly highly recommend that you wait until you are on an actual computer to click on that link. Between the number of tables used on that page and their sheer size, especially when you consider the tiny screen resolution of mobile phones... you're going to have a bad time. Even on a desktop machine, depending on your screen resolution, things may still look a bit broken. I tried as hard as I could to play with fonts and margins and padding in order to get it all to conform to the layout of my website, but I'm still not convinced that it will display correctly on everyone's screen. If it doesn't look right, let me know--screenshots are always appreciated, too!
  • The links on the top menu (Home, Projects, About, etc.) are most likely currently broken as I'm still transferring content from my old host to my new one. Sorry about that; the files for this project are literally the first things that got moved over. But! All of the website links and source links for the vet schools within the tables should work perfectly.
  • As I mention on the page, the CoA refers to the total cost of attendance (tuition + living costs) for all four years NOT including accrued interest. Additionally, the "Switch to IS?" question refers specifically to those schools that allow for students to switch residency status to IS/resident after the first year; it does NOT account for marrying a resident of the state or for any military/veteran benefits (both of which, from what I've seen/read/heard, most schools allow as justification for becoming a resident for tuition purposes).
  • This currently only includes the U.S. schools. I plan on adding the AVMA-accredited international schools within the next few days.
  • Whatever you do, do not view the source code of that page. Seriously. It's a bloody freaking mess.
And, lastly...
  • If you see any errors at all, even simple typos, please let me know. You can post them here or PM me if you'd prefer, but I'd really like to know if I included even a shred of inaccurate information, given just how much time I've put into this thing. It'd also be much, much easier to fix it now while it's a simple HTML document versus after I've already made a MySQL database of everything. So please, please, please tell me if there's a mistake. There are also a few question marks spread throughout the page representing information that I was not able to find---if you know that information or have a credible source that does, I'd also like to know that, too.

Reactions: 5 users
Hilarious, past me. Hilarious. Needless to say, a "couple of hours" turned into "about four days" as I continued to add more and more information. Even now, I feel like there's more that I could include, but honestly this thing is monstrous enough as-is. But if there's any more information in particular you'd like to see included, you can let me know and I will consider adding it.
You are amazing for doing all of this.

So I went ahead and looked at Michigan State, and the prereq section isn’t correct. MSU requires both orgo 1&2 with lab, doesn’t specifically require speech but DOES have an arts/humanities and social sciences requirement. Speech might fulfill one of those required classes, but isn’t specifically required.
Also, for “biology” are you lumping all bio classes together or did you want to split them into like “intro bio 1&2” and “upper level bio” because MSU requires one upper level bio but there’s a few options for what fills that requirement.
Prerequisites

Illinois for your prereq section is a smiiidge incorrect. You can petition to ignore your freshman year regardless of how long ago it was OR ignore all coursework over 6 years old (but obviously any prereqs in either period would no longer count). You have it as you can petition to ignore freshman grades if they’re over 6 years old.
Also for the curriculum design, Illinois is on a block system where you have one set of classes for 8 weeks, have a midterm and final in that, and then move on to another 8 weeks of different classes in that same semester. (So, essentially a quarter system vs semester system)
http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...dicine-degree/illinois-veterinary-curriculum/
Also, I THINK gpa/gre might still be a factor up until you get an interview. Once you get one they no longer care about them, but I THINK they might still use them to decide who gets an interview.

NCSU has a minimum number of vet hours (200)
Education – DVM – Admission Eligibility | NC State Veterinary Medicine

Not sure if you were looking for 2022 stats or if 2021 stats are fine, but here are some missing ones from 2021.
Oklahoma State 2021 stats
https://cvhs.okstate.edu/sites/default/files/docs/pdf/Class of 2021 Profile.pdf
Ohio State 2021 stats
https://vet.osu.edu/sites/vet.osu.edu/files/documents/education/Class of 2021 Profile_0.pdf

Also, I’m on mobile and it’s not too terrible to try and read. Certainly would be easier on a laptop, but I’m lazy (I say as I sit here going through all this)

Members don't see this ad :)

So I went ahead and looked at Michigan State, and the prereq section isn’t correct. MSU requires both orgo 1&2 with lab, doesn’t specifically require speech but DOES have an arts/humanities and social sciences requirement. Speech might fulfill one of those required classes, but isn’t specifically required.
Also, for “biology” are you lumping all bio classes together or did you want to split them into like “intro bio 1&2” and “upper level bio” because MSU requires one upper level bio but there’s a few options for what fills that requirement.
Prerequisites

Illinois for your prereq section is a smiiidge incorrect. You can petition to ignore your freshman year regardless of how long ago it was OR ignore all coursework over 6 years old (but obviously any prereqs in either period would no longer count). You have it as you can petition to ignore freshman grades if they’re over 6 years old.
Also for the curriculum design, Illinois is on a block system where you have one set of classes for 8 weeks, have a midterm and final in that, and then move on to another 8 weeks of different classes in that same semester. (So, essentially a quarter system vs semester system)
http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...dicine-degree/illinois-veterinary-curriculum/
Also, I THINK gpa/gre might still be a factor up until you get an interview. Once you get one they no longer care about them, but I THINK they might still use them to decide who gets an interview.

Not sure if you were looking for 2022 stats or if 2021 stats are fine, but here are some missing ones from 2021.
Ohio State 2021 stats
https://vet.osu.edu/sites/vet.osu.edu/files/documents/education/Class of 2021 Profile_0.pdf

Also, I’m on mobile and it’s not too terrible to try and read. Certainly would be easier on a laptop, but I’m lazy (I say as I sit here going through all this)
Coolio. I'll fix these when I get back to my computer. Thanks!

Prerequisites

Ohio State 2021 stats

Oh, and for prereqs: "Biology" is just supposed to refer to the basic Gen Bio series, but I can see how that can be confusing, so I'll definitely change the wording on that, too.

Well in that case, MSU also requires an upper level bio in addition to intro bio :laugh:
So I'm looking at MSU's prerequisites right now and I honestly don't know how I got them so wrong. Hahahaha.

The only thing that I can think of is that I copied and pasted that list from elsewhere in the document (which I did a lot to avoid having to write the code for the tables over and over again) and didn't change it to match what's on that webpage. Or maybe it was 3 AM when I did it and I'm going nuts, I don't know. Either way, I'm going to pretty much redo all of the stuff for that school, I think.

So I'm looking at MSU's prerequisites right now and I honestly don't know how I got them so wrong. Hahahaha.

The only thing that I can think of is that I copied and pasted that list from elsewhere in the document (which I did a lot to avoid having to write the code for the tables over and over again) and didn't change it to match what's on that webpage. Or maybe it was 3 AM when I did it and I'm going nuts, I don't know. Either way, I'm going to pretty much redo all of the stuff for that school, I think.
Hahaha yeah I had to go back and look at your site quite a few times just to make sure that I actually WAS reading the MSU ones :laugh:

Anyway, since I promised that I'd at least put up the information that I have for you guys while I continue working on the actual program that utilizes it... here you go: Towards Those Mountains - Veterinary School Admissions Information Tables

A few things to note:
  • Firstly, if you are on mobile, I highly highly highly recommend that you wait until you are on an actual computer to click on that link. Between the number of tables used on that page and their sheer size, especially when you consider the tiny screen resolution of mobile phones... you're going to have a bad time. Even on a desktop machine, depending on your screen resolution, things may still look a bit broken. I tried as hard as I could to play with fonts and margins and padding in order to get it all to conform to the layout of my website, but I'm still not convinced that it will display correctly on everyone's screen. As such, I've also made a full width, non-fancy version with a larger font here if you're having trouble reading things: Towards Those Mountains - Veterinary School Admissions Information Tables
  • The links on the top menu (Home, Projects, About, etc.) are most likely currently broken as I'm still transferring content from my old host to my new one. Sorry about that; the files for this project are literally the first things that got moved over. But! All of the website links and source links for the vet schools within the tables should work perfectly.
  • As I mention on the page, the CoA refers to the total cost of attendance (tuition + living costs) for all four years NOT including accrued interest. Additionally, the "Switch to IS?" question refers specifically to those schools that allow for students to switch residency status to IS/resident after the first year; it does NOT account for marrying a resident of the state or for any military/veteran benefits (both of which, from what I've seen/read/heard, most schools allow as justification for becoming a resident for tuition purposes).
  • This currently only includes the U.S. schools. I plan on adding the AVMA-accredited international schools within the next few days.
  • Whatever you do, do not view the source code of that page. Seriously. It's a bloody freaking mess.
And, lastly...
  • If you see any errors at all, even simple typos, please let me know. You can post them here or PM me if you'd prefer, but I'd really like to know if I included even a shred of inaccurate information, given just how much time I've put into this thing. It'd also be much, much easier to fix it now while it's a simple HTML document versus after I've already made a MySQL database of everything. So please, please, please tell me if there's a mistake. There are also a few question marks spread throughout the page representing information that I was not able to find---if you know that information or have a credible source that does, I'd also like to know that, too.
Yo this looks amazing! Just out of curiosity how is you calculate OOS tuition for Davis after switching to IS? It's only like 7k higher but the OOS tuition fee is about 12k (can't remember actual amount) more for the first year so not sure how that worked out. Additionally there's 150 seats total as of this incoming class and there is no set number for OOS vs IS since it's based of interviews alone, basically it varies every year. They invite 240 CA residents for interviews and the top 5-10% OOS for interviews and theoretically all OOS could get a seat if they out preform IS people on the interview (not bloodly likely). Finally, not sure if this could be incorporated but every student gets some amount of scholarships every year so the CoA is actually lower. It varies from year to year but this year we all got over 7k toward tuition. It varies every year but is consistently in that range.

You did such a great job! Thank you for all your hard work!

Last edited:

A few things to note:
  • Firstly, if you are on mobile, I highly highly highly recommend that you wait until you are on an actual computer to click on that link. Between the number of tables used on that page and their sheer size, especially when you consider the tiny screen resolution of mobile phones... you're going to have a bad time. Even on a desktop machine, depending on your screen resolution, things may still look a bit broken. I tried as hard as I could to play with fonts and margins and padding in order to get it all to conform to the layout of my website, but I'm still not convinced that it will display correctly on everyone's screen. As such, I've also made a full width, non-fancy version with a larger font here if you're having trouble reading things: Towards Those Mountains - Veterinary School Admissions Information Tables
And, lastly...
Also quick note you say
  • Davis only considers science GPA, last 45 GPA, and quantitative GRE score for the academic portion of the admissions process
This is true, but they also look at how your LoR ranked you, they don't actually read the letters.
  • The top 180 applicants, ranked based on GPAs, quantitative GRE score, and eLoRs, will be invited to interview. These top 180 interviewees shall include the top 25% of CA applicants and the top 10% of OOS applicants. All other OOS applicants are rejected at this stage.
The first 180 are all IS applicants OOS are considered separately and are in addition to this and the number below. They typically round it out to 300 invited total so 180 from the first quantitative only look is from CA and the second 60 is from the more holistic approach is also only for CA residents. Then they look at OOS and fill up the interview slots with the top ranked OOS students.
  • After the previous step, the next highly ranked 180 CA applicants will be reviewed by an admissions committee and consideration will be given to non-academic factors. 60 further interviewees will be selected this way. An additional 10-25 of these 180 applicants will be placed on an interview waitlist.

I found Ohio state stats for class of 2021!

Also for UF, the curriculum isn’t a 2+2 it’s 3+1. It’s just separated. So you do clinical rotations during the summer after you finish 2nd year, fall of third year, back to classroom spring of 3rd year and fall of 4th year, and back to clinics spring of 4th year.

A few things to note:
And, lastly...

Last edited:
All right. Since I'm back home, I can go ahead and address everything that's been brought up so far. Thank you all, by the way! I only applied to and am familiar with a very limited number of schools, so it's enormously helpful to have everyone offer up their own experiences. Especially since vet school websites are not all created equal when it comes to the information that they make publicly available.

@SkiOtter:
Prerequisites
The entire prerequisite list for MSU has been fixed. Like I said in an earlier post, I honestly don't understand how I managed to get it that wrong. It was probably just a case of me copying and pasting the code for the tables and not double-checking it to make sure that I changed the information appropriately. :shrug:

I think that this was a case of me not paying attention/misunderstanding how it was written on Illinois's website. Fixed.

Eh, I wasn't intending to indicate who does quarters versus semesters (some schools' websites don't provide that sort of information *coughTuskegeecough*) but I went ahead and added it to Illinois for now.

If people that this would be information that is useful and worth knowing, I could just bite the bullet and try my best to track it down and throw it in there...?

If I'm understanding this correctly, then you're saying that they do continue to consider academics up until Phase Three of the process, which is the interview, correct?

Maybe I'm not reading the Admissions page correctly, but the way that it's written seems to imply that Phase Two consists only of assigning the application a second score based only upon the nonacademic factors and is performed by committee members who have not seen the GPA/GRE of the applicant in order to keep things holistic; the Phase One and Phase Two scores are then added together to determine who receives an invitation to interview. From then on, only Phase Two and Phase Three scores are used for determining and ranking final admissions eligibility. So would that not mean that academics are no longer a factor after Phase One?

Here's the page I'm referring to: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine-degree/admissions/

Added. Not very many schools have a minimum number of hours to qualify, but I tried to make note of it when they do. Looks like I missed NCSU's requirement.

Ohio State 2021 stats
I'd really prefer 2022, just because it's the most recent, but there are some sites where only 2021 or even 2020 stats are available, so I just made due with whatever is listed on the websites.

Thank you for those links. I've gone ahead and added the information for those two schools.

@Coopah:
Just out of curiosity how is you calculate OOS tuition for Davis after switching to IS? It's only like 7k higher but the OOS tuition fee is about 12k (can't remember actual amount) more for the first year so not sure how that worked out.

Not sure if this could be incorporated but every student gets some amount of scholarships every year so the CoA is actually lower. It varies from year to year but this year we all got over 7k toward tuition. It varies every year but is consistently in that range
I think that UC Davis was one of the schools for which I ended up consulting the data used for the VIN Cost of Education map. As far as I'm aware, the OOS CoA calculation in the map data accounts for the residency switch; it does for other schools, at least, and there is an additional note about how tuition fees (ie. not including living costs) of up to $290,158 can be expected if the switch is not made.

So I guess if there's an issue with the cost that I listed, then there's an issue with the VIN map data, too.

I'm definitely wiling to defer to you on this, though, since you're actually attending and I didn't even so much as consider applying to UC Davis, so this is the first time that I've really looked into anything regarding the school. As for the scholarship stuff, I didn't really incorporate that into any of the CoA calculations because most schools aren't nearly as generous with dishing out money and the numbers are extremely hard to find for that. I could certainly add a quip about it in the Additional Notes section, though, since I did for UPenn.

Additionally there's 150 seats total as of this incoming class and there is no set number for OOS vs IS
since it's based of interviews alone, basically it varies every year.
I figured that it was around 150 given that I saw numbers ranging from 145 - 150 on all of the sources I looked, but since there was no "round" number that was provided on the school website, I just took the mean. Fixed.

They invite 240 CA residents for interviews and the top 5-10% OOS for interviews and theoretically all OOS could get a seat if they out preform IS people on the interview (not bloodly likely).
Also quick note you say
  • Davis only considers science GPA, last 45 GPA, and quantitative GRE score for the academic portion of the admissions process
This is true, but they also look at how your LoR ranked you, they don't actually read the letters.
  • The top 180 applicants, ranked based on GPAs, quantitative GRE score, and eLoRs, will be invited to interview. These top 180 interviewees shall include the top 25% of CA applicants and the top 10% of OOS applicants. All other OOS applicants are rejected at this stage.
The first 180 are all IS applicants OOS are considered separately and are in addition to this and the number below. They typically round it out to 300 invited total so 180 from the first quantitative only look is from CA and the second 60 is from the more holistic approach is also only for CA residents. Then they look at OOS and fill up the interview slots with the top ranked OOS students.
  • After the previous step, the next highly ranked 180 CA applicants will be reviewed by an admissions committee and consideration will be given to non-academic factors. 60 further interviewees will be selected this way. An additional 10-25 of these 180 applicants will be placed on an interview waitlist.
I reread this and what I wrote on the website a few times and I honestly actually think that we're saying the same thing; I just worded much more poorly than you did, as how you explained it is how I understood the process to work. I will look into rewriting that bit, for sure.

@hopefulequinedr
I appreciate the link, even if it looks like Ski beat ya to it. ;)

Also for UF, the curriculum isn’t a 2+2 it’s 3+1. It’s just separated. So you do clinical rotations during the summer after you finish 2nd year, fall of third year, back to classroom spring of 3rd year and fall of 4th year, and back to clinics spring of 4th year.
For some reason, I was under the impression from a previous student that it was essentially 2 + 2, but I guess I misunderstood what they were saying. Admittedly, UF is one of those schools that I honestly know very, very little about. Fixed, albeit worded pretty clunkily, haha. Any suggestions there?

Never mind, nothing was fixed at all, because my cPanel session timed out just as I was saving the edits. So I have to make those edits all over again. An hour down the drain. Whyyyyyyyy

Never mind, nothing was fixed at all, because my cPanel session timed out just as I was saving the edits. So I have to make those edits all over again. An hour down the drain. Whyyyyyyyy
That's when I would rage quit

Reactions: 4 users
Eh, I wasn't intending to indicate who does quarters versus semesters (some schools' websites don't provide that sort of information *coughTuskegeecough*) but I went ahead and added it to Illinois for now.

If people that this would be information that is useful and worth knowing, I could just bite the bullet and try my best to track it down and throw it in there...?
Yeah, I wasn’t sure if you wanted that or not, so I figured I’d toss it in there in case you did.
If I'm understanding this correctly, then you're saying that they do continue to consider academics up until Phase Three of the process, which is the interview, correct?

Maybe I'm not reading the Admissions page correctly, but the way that it's written seems to imply that Phase Two consists only of assigning the application a second score based only upon the nonacademic factors and is performed by committee members who have not seen the GPA/GRE of the applicant in order to keep things holistic; the Phase One and Phase Two scores are then added together to determine who receives an invitation to interview. From then on, only Phase Two and Phase Three scores are used for determining and ranking final admissions eligibility. So would that not mean that academics are no longer a factor after Phase One?
And I think academics are still used to determine who gets an interview (so phase 1 and 2 determines who makes it to phase 3 afaik). After you make it to interviews, they no longer care about your academics. As far as I understood it, they still use academics to determine who moves onto phase 3, but academics aren’t part of the final ranking.
So technically if your phase 1 & 2 together are how they determine who gets an interview, academics would matter up until you make it into phase 3. If they didn’t matter after phase 1, then it’d be solely based on your phase 2 if you make it to interviews, but I don’t think that’s the case afaik.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if you wanted that or not, so I figured I’d toss it in there in case you did.

And I think academics are still used to determine who gets an interview (so phase 1 and 2 determines who makes it to phase 3 afaik). After you make it to interviews, they no longer care about your academics. As far as I understood it, they still use academics to determine who moves onto phase 3, but academics aren’t part of the final ranking.
So technically if your phase 1 & 2 together are how they determine who gets an interview, academics would matter up until you make it into phase 3. If they didn’t matter after phase 1, then it’d be solely based on your phase 2 if you make it to interviews, but I don’t think that’s the case afaik.
Ah, yes, I see what you're saying. I went ahead and deleted the offending verbiage so hopefully it's more accurate now.

@Elkhart just a quick update to Texas A&M chart I noticed. They actually do require a supplemental application you must fill out in addition to TMDSAS. When I applied, it had an explanation statement/essay portion you could provide along with it since that isn’t really provided through TMDSAS along with a couple other things.

The charts look amazing by the way!! Thanks for all the effort you put into them. I’m sure they’ll be greatly appreciated throughout the years!

@Elkhart just a quick update to Texas A&M chart I noticed. They actually do require a supplemental application you must fill out in addition to TMDSAS. When I applied, it had an explanation statement/essay portion you could provide along with it since that isn’t really provided through TMDSAS along with a couple other things.
Fixed. Thanks! Do you know how much the supplemental costs?

Also, since it appears that no one is really having any trouble viewing the full page correctly, I went ahead and deleted the link to the alternate version. It was getting a little annoying having to make the same edits twice, anyway.

On my MacBook Air the table extended past the pale coloring on your background, just FYI. Maybe just a column or two and I could still read it all but just as feedback. It’ll be nice when it’s all done, Elkhart (not to imply it’s not great now...I can tell you’ve spent time on it but I can see how a finished tool would be useful to sort all that info)

On my MacBook Air the table extended past the pale coloring on your background, just FYI. Maybe just a column or two and I could still read it all but just as feedback. It’ll be nice when it’s all done, Elkhart (not to imply it’s not great now...I can tell you’ve spent time on it but I can see how a finished tool would be useful to sort all that info)
Thanks! Yeah, I was worried about that being an issue, and it's most prominently an issue on mobile devices. It was a compromise between the amount of information, width, and readability. I could make the width of the entire thing smaller, but the font size would adjust accordingly and it would be nearly impossible to read. There's no really good solution there, unfortunately. I suppose that the Website column isn't really necessary and I could probably just make the school names link to their respective websites and that might help. I could maybe adjust the padding, too?

Do you know what your screen resolution is, if you don't mind me asking? You can find that information on the below webpage under "Computer Screen", if you're not sure. Browser information would be helpful, too.

What web browser are you using? Is it up to date?

Fixed. Thanks! Do you know how much the supplemental costs?

Also, since it appears that no one is really having any trouble viewing the full page correctly, I went ahead and deleted the link to the alternate version. It was getting a little annoying having to make the same edits twice, anyway.

When I applied two years ago, it was $75. I think it’s still the same.

When I applied two years ago, it was $75. I think it’s still the same.
Added.

I've gone ahead and made a couple of structural/design changes that hopefully should make it so that the tables no longer clip through the content div and run over the background on most computer screens, mostly what I mentioned in the above response to JaynaAli. It's still an issue on mobile, I'm sure, but I just can't really do much about that due to the sheer amount of text.

Let me know if there are still issues; I have a few other steps I can take if need be.

Towards Those Mountains - Veterinary School Admissions Information Tables

@Elkhart

Starting with c/o 2022, UTK is switching from a 3+1 to 2.5+1.5 model.
They also do rarely accept transfers. Like, I know of one transfer in and one transfer out that happened this past year (different classes). I'm not really sure what the circumstances were there though, might have been special cases.
I'll see if I can find out how long pre-reqs are good for.

@Elkhart

They also do rarely accept transfers. Like, I know of one transfer in and one transfer out that happened this past year (different classes). I'm not really sure what the circumstances were there though, might have been special cases.
Thanks, Dubz. Fixed!

I've made some more changes to the layout. I think that the way things are set up now is much, much easier on the eyes, for one, but it also provides a bit of a fallback mechanism with the tables in case they're being viewed on mobile or on a smaller resolution screen. Because the table background is darker, even if it stretches out the page past the container div, it should still be readable without too much squinting. I've also deleted the International Students column since it doesn't apply to 99% of SDNers and I felt a little silly including it, anyway.

I'm going to take a lunch break and then come back to trying to figure out if there's anything else that I could possibly due to accommodate smaller screens without getting rid of more content.

Thanks, Dubz. Fixed!

I've made some more changes to the layout. I think that the way things are set up now is much, much easier on the eyes, for one, but it also provides a bit of a fallback mechanism with the tables in case they're being viewed on mobile or on a smaller resolution screen. Because the table background is darker, even if it stretches out the page past the container div, it should still be readable without too much squinting. I've also deleted the International Students column since it doesn't apply to 99% of SDNers and I felt a little silly including it, anyway.

I'm going to take a lunch break and then come back to trying to figure out if there's anything else that I could possibly due to accommodate smaller screens without getting rid of more content.
Just in case you were interested in what it looks like on mobile now (I know you said you weren't really optimizing for that)

Screenshot_20180702-115541_Chrome.jpg

@Elkhart

Can you explain more about what 2.5 + 1.5 will look like at UTK? I'm just curious because CSU actually starts clinical rotations in the mornings and class in the afternoons during third year, then clinics full time for fourth year and I was wondering if it was going to be a similar set up at UTK.

Can you explain more about what 2.5 + 1.5 will look like at UTK? I'm just curious because CSU actually starts clinical rotations in the mornings and class in the afternoons during third year, then clinics full time for fourth year and I was wondering if it was going to be a similar set up at UTK.
They'll just be starting clinics in January of third year instead of the end of April. So 5 semesters in the classroom and 4 in clinics, instead of 6 and 3. That's an interesting setup at CSU though, hadn't heard of one like that before!

@Elkhart When I get home I will check all the things you asked. I didn't bring my MacBook to work today. On my widescreen work PC (running Windows 7, God forbid we join this decade) it looks nice on Firefox.

Looks like you loaded the page just as I was in the progress of making changes to the layout. Try again when you've got a second. :)
Beautiful! And it's easy enough to scroll sideways to see the rest of the chart.
Screenshot_20180702-130532_Chrome.jpg

@Elkhart
Screen Resolution was 1440 x 900 (the default for MacBook Air I believe?)
Browser is up to date...I have Firefox 61 on MacOS High Sierra

But also...whatever you've done to it since last night fixed it for me. It seems to fit well now.

@Elkhart
WA supplemental fee is $60. @Caiter92 might know how long prereqs are good for? I can't find this info. IDK how you want to put this in there but that only OSS students in Pullman can gain residency, OSS of USU cannot (there are tuition waivers though Tuition & Fees | VetMed | USU). Then for CSU idk if you want to put it in there but as far as I understand it UAF students will pay Sponsored tuition the first 2 years then NS the last 2 as an AK resident-All other will pay NS. UAF/CSU Collaborative Veterinary Program unless @vetmedhead knows otherwise. Great job and you're amazing for doing all of this!

I tried opening the document it said it might be deleted.
Did you try the one in this post?

Factors When Picking A School.docx

Obviously, this is not the most current version of the document since it came from a backup taken at the end of 2017, unfortunately, but it should do for now. It is completely open for anyone to edit and contribute however they'd like. My one request is that, if you do add or delete bullet points, eg. if they're outdated/no longer relevant, please don't tamper with the formatting of the actual headers. I originally constructed the document this way so that it would be easy to navigate by just clicking the appropriate school in the outline panel (left-hand side if you're on desktop) rather than scrolling through all 70 or whatever pages to find what's wanted.

Yeah, I definitely don't intend it to be the end-all, be-all of choosing where someone should apply. It's meant to act as a bit of a starting point for those who don't even know where to start in terms of narrowing down schools. I don't think that I'm going to include any questions about experience or more subjective factors for that reason (plus that would be super difficult to incorporate); it's it's more to evaluate the more "objective" measures and match you up with schools that best match that profile. So if you were to input, say, that you've got a much higher last 45 GPA than cumulative GPA, the list of schools that you're offered should reflect that. I'm also trying to find a way to rank the given results by CoA in accordance with the state of residence that the user inputs.

I've got a 5-day weekend starting on Sunday, so I'm hoping to get things mostly done during that time. I'll post a link here first to have you guys play with and try to break it before "officially" moving it out of my Testing directory and onto my public website.
I think it would be good to somehow incorporate in pre-reqs. I knocked off a lot of the potential schools because they had pre-reqs I hadn't taken and wouldn't take. This could be difficult though.