Flight Surgeon School during residency in the Air National Guard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intern808

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the courses for Flight Surgeon School can be counted as electives for residency programs?

I'm the 1st medical student (well now starting July 1st I will be an intern) in our Air national guard so no one seems to know much about Flight Surgeon school and residency. Some of the other fligh surgeons in my unit have said that when they were in Flight surgeon school, there were medical students and residents. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Also if you happen to be in my position (residency and national guard) could you give me some tips on how you're fulfilling the weekend commitment while you're in inpatient (only 1 day off a week - usually not on a guard weekend)?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the courses for Flight Surgeon School can be counted as electives for residency programs?

I'm the 1st medical student (well now starting July 1st I will be an intern) in our Air national guard so no one seems to know much about Flight Surgeon school and residency. Some of the other fligh surgeons in my unit have said that when they were in Flight surgeon school, there were medical students and residents. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Also if you happen to be in my position (residency and national guard) could you give me some tips on how you're fulfilling the weekend commitment while you're in inpatient (only 1 day off a week - usually not on a guard weekend)?

thanks!

Yes, you can indeed attend AMP while in residency or even as a medical student. I know because there were ANG, and civilian medical students (on ANG orders) when I went through it.

It is up to the residency program and you will have to schedule it early if you want to do the full 6 weeks. (or 4 if you have SERE equivalent). Get in touch with USAFSAM for more info, plan well in advance

Good luck