Gap year and MDSSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted966906

Hey guys, I'm considering applying to the MDSSP during medical school. I want to serve my country. However, I had a question in regards to gap years allotted for MDSSP.... What if during medical school, I applied for the MDPhD program at my medical school and got in or if I took some gap years off to do research/outreach work with Fulbright. Would this mean the MDSSP stipend will stop during the 4 years of the PhD/research/outreach work and I would still pay back 8 years? Is this even an option if someone is taking out a MDSSP? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend do an mph year and they stopped the stipend, I don’t know if that’s an easy thing to get and I don’t know if they stopped the obligation from accumulating

Thanks for your advice! Do you know if they permanently stopped the MDSSP or do they just stop it for the MPH and restart it once the student continues in their medical studies?

I know nothing specific about interruptions for MPH, but the contract language for MDSSP is that it continues through medical school from the time you initiate it until graduation. If they interrupt payments for an MPH (or research or a Fullbright), I would strongly expect that they would require you resume it for your remaining years of medical school.