getting into residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yatzek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im 2 years from graduating but these things still seem mysterious to me, i heard you can get a better job after a residency, so now i am thinking about it... what i want to know is how hard it is to get into a residnecy- are they going to look at my gpa- i hope not

Members don't see this ad.

yatzek said:
im 2 years from graduating but these things still seem mysterious to me, i heard you can get a better job after a residency, so now i am thinking about it... what i want to know is how hard it is to get into a residnecy- are they going to look at my gpa- i hope not

Pharmacy practice residencies (PGY1) open up more career opportunities (i.e., work as a clinical pharmacist) and are often required to teach in a college of pharmacy as a "professor of pharmacy practice". As of last year, there were more residency positions than there were applicants...ASHP seems to think this will even out and be more competitive in the coming years. If you don't match to any of your desired programs, you get to participate in "the scramble", where all the unmatched residency positions take applicants and have them interview. Last year there was a sizeable list of unmatched spots, some at rather prestigious medical centers. Because of this, as of last year anyone who desires a residency position can get one. This may change as more pharmacy schools open, and more graduates look for a way to distinguish themselves from "the pack". All the programs I applied to required a transcript from pharmacy school. So yes, your prior academic performance is gauged.

For more residency information: ASHP Residency and Accreditation Information

thank you for such a complete answer!

hopefully it stay like it is now... cos my gpa is not so stellar

yatzek said:
thank you for such a complete answer!

hopefully it stay like it is now... cos my gpa is not so stellar

just know with a not so stellar gpa you may not get a residency at say unc chapel hill or stoneybrook... but there are fantastic residencies at lesser known places. I've heard great things about the ones available here at the University of New Mexico - whoda thunk it? (certainly not me, but the residents seem to like it pretty well)