Gifts for mentors / supervisors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldschooliscool

Reaction score
I am graduating with my PhD in a few months and I want to get a few gifts for a few of my mentors. Is this something that’s done? Any ideas what I should get them?

For context: I am someone who loves to give gifts to people, it’s just something that brings my a lot of joy. I like to give someone a gift that shows them I’m thinking of them, or I appreciate them, or etc. I also will be leaving after my PhD and moving far away, so I'll probably never see any of them again, though I will need to contact a few of these people for LORs in the future.

I would really like to get a gift for:

1. My dissertation chair / primary advisor. He’s the one who picked me and gave me a chance at the start of all of this.
  2. My two current clinical supervisors on internship. They have helped me in ways that I can’t even put into words.

What are some good gift ideas for this sort of relationship? Something for their desk/book shelf? A book? Something you can eat? A gift card? Is this actually just something that should be avoided entirely?

Also, should I buy gifts for all members of my dissertation committee? I wasn’t planning on it, but is this something that actually happens kind of often, and would be noticed if I didn’t do it?

Any guidance or ideas here would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

A thoughtfully written thank you card goes a long way and will be most meaningful thing. If you must, something thoughtful or personal that reflects something you know about them. Books, something edible, or a record from that band you both like are about the right price level. I got some specialty coffee for a year long clinical supervisor along with a thank you note and that felt about right to me, and anything more than that probably would have ran afoul of agency gift giving policies anyway.

Do not get gifts for your whole committee. Just don't.

Reactions: 1 users
A thoughtfully written thank you card goes a long way and will be most meaningful thing. If you must, something thoughtful or personal that reflects something you know about them. Books, something edible, or a record from that band you both like are about the right price level. I got some specialty coffee for a year long clinical supervisor along with a thank you note and that felt about right to me, and anything more than that probably would have ran afoul of agency gift giving policies anyway.

Do not get gifts for your whole committee. Just don't.
Really good advice here (especially the part about the committee ... I don't know what I was thinking). Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a card is totally sufficient for a graduation thank you. Tbh I would feel awkward if my student, whose stipend was 12%ish of my salary, spent money on a thank you gift.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm participating in a defense on Friday for the first time as a dissertation chair. It may sound a little corny, but the student asking me to be his chair is gift enough. He'll probably buy me a six pack or nice bottle of something or other, which is appreciated and fine, but not expected.

Last edited:
I'm participating in a defense on Friday for the first time as a dissertation chair. It may sound a little corny, but the student asking me to be his chair is gift enough. He'll probably by me a six pack or nice bottle of something or other, which is appreciated and fine, but not expected.
Only gift alcohol if you’re sure the person drinks alcohol tho! Otherwise could be awk also

Reactions: 2 users
Cute/injoke gifts can be fun though. When I left academia, my students gave me a “UT dad” mug at the last lab dinner. This was just after the Pedro Pascal snl and the joke was about my “giving father” within the lab/program. That was very nice. My husband teared up a bit when he saw it.