How are nursing courses figured into GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med Girl_1313

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I think I originally posted this note in the wrong spot - my bad!

I'm normally a lurker :p , but I wanted to put this question out there to anyone who might know:
How are nursing courses figured into GPA? For example, would they count as science or non-science?

The reason I'm asking is b/c I'm currently a nursing student (2 yr program) and I'll also be taking classes for my BS in Biology starting this summer. If all goes as planned I should be able to finish both my RN and BS in Bio within two yrs, then apply to med school at the ripe old age of 31. :D

Thanks for your help!
Christine :)

Members don't see this ad.

Classes that are strictly nursing do not count as part of your BCPM GPA for AMCAS, they are condidered "all other" (I forget the exact category that they go in) and will be calculated as part of your total cumulative GPA.

However, any pre-nursing science courses that you may have taken (micro, anatomy and physiology, bio, etc) do count under BCPM.

Hope this helps!

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this will help me out down the road in a couple years when I have my Bachelor's & apply to medical school. I've done well [3 A's and one B+] in nursing courses so far; they're not blow-off classes either. The least # of credits for a nursing course at our school is 5. We work our butts off! It's fun though & the material we learn is interesting, plus the clinical time is great exposure to the hospital environment. I realized that as I was working on the unit one day that there is soooo much that I won't be able to do as a nurse and that's what got me thinking about medicine. It must have been fate because that very day the patient I was assigned to had to have a colonoscopy & the doc comes up to me and says, "You want to do the biopsies for your patient's colon?" It was awesome! That's not my only reason for changing my mind about being a nurse. It's alot more than that. The good thing about being a nurse is that I'll be able to work a teeny bit if I do get into med school.

Going a little off topic....it's nice to have this board to tell people, "Hey! I'm a nursing student who changed my mind & want to be a doctor instead!" It's not something that you can speak to your nursing advisor about, ya know? :(

Anyway, thanks again Jessica for the input - it's much appreciated!

Christine :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i just graduated from a 2 yr nursing school. i am currently working on my bsn and psych degree. i am planning on applying to med school in 3 years--my kids will be older then. i know what you mean about discussing med school with nursing peers and instructors. and i know what you mean about nursing classes being difficult. a& p was a walk in the park compared to "them." good luck,

I can not imagine being able to finish a BS in biology in two years...even if you were working solely on that degree.

How do you plan to accomplish this?

Maybe someone does not understand what the "BS" in "BS in Biology" actually stands for...

If I'm not mistaken, when Venez said they finished a 2 year nursing school, they were referring to an Associates degree (LPN I think), and not the BSN (Bachealor of Science, Nursing) which they did state that they will be working on.

I also think that EyeCandy wasn't talking about Firebird, who took offense, but was talking about Venez. Again, I think you guys are mistaking what degree Venez is talking about.

A two-year nursing degree is actually an A.A.S. degree in nursing; an LPN studies for one year and doesn't have the same qualifications as a two-year or four-year nursing degree. As for going into a B.S. in biology after nursing, I don't think it's as hard to do as it seems in two years. Remember that your first two undergraduate college years are mostly general education requirements, some of which should be out of the way from the nursing classes. (Most nursing programs require their students to take some general ed.) I'm estimating that most undergraduate universities require students to be "in residence" for at least 60 credits towards a degree; generally, a B.S. in biology will require around 60 credits towards major requirements. At a normal full-time load of fifteen hours a semester, that's 60 hours not including what you could do during summers.

Unless other objections can be made, I see little or no problem in doing a B.S. in biology in two years following nursing school. Go for it and best of luck!

Jason

Hi Christine,

I too went through a nursing, RN program ( graduated 2 1/2 years ago ) and have been taking my med school prereqs ever since. Your nursing grades are not considered a science, but the A&P and microbiology will. Nursing is tough. I have a Master's degree in Psychology and that was a walk in the park compared to my nursing.

I also kept my true intentions to myself up until a few months ago. I just thought it was such a long shot that I didn't want anyone to know until it was more "real."

I work as a critical care nurse and find we have a bit more autonomy then a floor nurse, so if that is important to you go that route. Plus the money and flexability is tremendous.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd post my two cents. I'm also an RN (ADN, critical care for 8 years) who has returned for med school at 33. In Texas, at least with the TMDSAS, my nursing courses WERE figured in with the Science GPA. Any more questions?

:rolleyes: Good luck MedGirl

Socceroo4ever--

You took the words right out of my mouth! You are correct, I do have a bunch of gen ed stuff completed already; that's the only reason I'd be able to complete a bachelor's in bio in two years (plus a summer semester). I'm planning on starting this summer & working my a$$ off for the next two years. It'll be hard but it can & will be done :D

Also--thanks to everyone else for their words of encouragement!

Christine :cool:

Originally posted by Jamier2:

I also think that EyeCandy wasn't talking about Firebird, who took offense, but was talking about Venez. Again, I think you guys are mistaking what degree Venez is talking about.•••

I think you're right...post duely deleted. Sorry everyone.

However, it still seems tough to get through a BS in bio in two years. I know it couldn't be done in chemistry...the prerequisites to all the chem courses at my school are completion of Organic...which would take a year itself and then a year of prerequisite freshman chem.

just to clear it up--i am a diploma grad rn. i agree, you could easily (not too mean it will be e-a-s-y) get bio degree in 2 years with gen eds out of the way. especially with summer classes. my college offers 3 summer sessions and a winter session as well. to the critical care nurses--do you think resid. and med school will be "easier" for you--i cannot see how it wouldn't be. nurses seem to teach residents in my personal experience.

Venez,
Yes I imagine that med school will be a bit "easier" for me then for someone with no medical experience at all. I think EMT's are in the same boat.