How difficult is it to match into heme onc, PCCM, and cards from a low tier academic IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting some conflicting information from my school, previous SDN posts, and other students, so I just wanted to ask the question myself.

I'm a DO student, and I know low to mid-low tier academic IM programs are where we most likely end up at for academic IM. I potentially want to pursue a career in heme onc or PCCM, but I do not think I would be happy as a general internist or hospitalist (nothing against them, just a personal thing), so if it's very difficult then I don't know if that's the route I want to dedicate myself to.

I do not care about matching into an academic fellowship, i.e. I just want to match anywhere.

1) How difficult is it to match into these fellowships out of a low tier IM programs?

2) What kind of stats does someone have to match into low or mid-low academic IM programs?

3) (Unrelated) How often do people dual apply IM and neuro?

Members don't see this ad.

Harder as a DO from low-tier academic or community program but not impossible, and far from guaranteed match. Usually the route many take is to first get into a program that has an in-house fellowship in their desired subspeciality, and then do a chief year. At many programs, being an IM chief resident nearly guarantees an in-house match in the fellowship of your choice.

Reactions: 1 user
The PD for a heme onc fellowship i spoke to did not have any bias against DO. We had one DO fellow in the few years I worked there, but this is a n=1.

You should be able to get into a fellowship. It won't be MSKCC for heme/onc or Colorado for pulm/crit but it is more likely than not that you can match into at least a program.