Medical How do I decide if I should apply next cycle or apply to SMPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a senior graduating this spring and I am not totally sure I should be applying next cycle. My goal is to go to an in-state (KY) MD school. It’s looking like I’m going to be finishing up with around a 3.37 cGPA and a 3.18 sGPA. My grades were pretty terrible my first two years, but I’ve had decent upward trend.

My university doesn’t offer pre-med advising, so I’m not really sure what I should be planning for. I realize my GPA is on the lower end for MD schools and my sub-par EC’s do not help my case. My current plan is to take the MCAT next June and apply to both MD schools and SMPs. First, is it in my best interest to even apply next cycle? Second, is it necessary to complete a full SMP or would taking a semester of DIY post bacc classes be enough?
What does your trend look like? Most likely you are going to need a year to boost your chances meaning post-bac+boosting your ECs + doing well on your MCAT.

Also, if you are serious about attending medical school, you should be applying to more than just KY schools (and also adding in DO schools).

Members don't see this ad.

Your local medical schools do offer some help, especially if you are in-state and they know you don't have strong prehealth advising available to you, so connect with them. The AAMC also has its general information website for applicants, students, and residents that is the template for all things related to prehealth advising. From there you will discover the MSAR and other questions you should be asking about medical schools. IMO, I would need to look at your transcript for your sGPA, but since you say your school didn't have prehealth advising, your best bet would be an SMP where you would get that support.

Year 1 (2.57/3.4)
Summer 1 (12 hours- 3.57)
Year 2 (2.85/3.65)
Summer 2 (6 hours- 4.0)
Year 3 (2.65/4.0)
Summer 3 (9 hours- 3.66)
Year 4 (projected 4.0 for fall)

My last 22 hours (spring of year 3 and summer 3) included physics 2 w/ lab, physiology, and organic 1. All of which I received A's in. I am taking organic 2 with the organic 1 lab this semester and am on track to receive an A in both. The worst parts of my transcript are my two D's in both gen chems. Which happen in fall of year 2 and fall of year 3. Both were retaken to get B's. Will I still need to complete a post-bacc/SMP if I want to apply to D.O. schools?

Did you retake the D in chemistry?
Yes, I retook them both and received a B in both retakes.

Year 1 (2.57/3.4)
Summer 1 (12 hours- 3.57)
Year 2 (2.85/3.65)
Summer 2 (6 hours- 4.0)
Year 3 (2.65/4.0)
Summer 3 (9 hours- 3.66)
Year 4 (projected 4.0 for fall)

My last 22 hours (spring of year 3 and summer 3) included physics 2 w/ lab, physiology, and organic 1. All of which I received A's in. I am taking organic 2 with the organic 1 lab this semester and am on track to receive an A in both. The worst parts of my transcript are my two D's in both gen chems. Which happen in fall of year 2 and fall of year 3. Both were retaken to get B's. Will I still need to complete a post-bacc/SMP if I want to apply to D.O. schools?
You'd be rejected at my DO school. But with a broad application, you might get some luck if you have a good MCAT score.

Otherwise, do the SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.