How does my spouse effect financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whileyouwerestudying

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am marrying a med student the summer before he heads to med school. He has no undergrad debt and I have a good bit of undergrad debt. He got lots of grants for undergrad based on his parent's financials. So my questions are: does he have to do this year's FAFSA in regards to us and not report his parents at all ( I read that once you were married you are considered independent in terms of the FAFSA)? And how does redoing the FAFSA work since we won't be married until a month before school starts and they want that done sooner in order to give you aid? I am currently searching for a job, but don't have one yet (yay moving for med school) does this effect so our income would be zero if we filled it out based what we know now. How do my loans affect his loans?

Really anything you all know about how being married affects the FAFSA and how undergrad spouse loans effect med school loans is really helpful. I'm really needing some info on how the financials all work for all of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Geez I feel like I need a shower and I haven't given any advice yet. First, FAFSA is a qualification entity, if you don't have derogatory credit you're golden. Second, marry the sap, then when you get divorced you can say you supported him through medical school and can get half his earnings forever. You're fine, have fun and if you end up having a kid your alimony and child support position is even stronger, FAFSA doesn't give two hoots about income.

You're considered independent anyway when applying for graduate school financial aid. My dad was making good money when I applied to med school and it didn't impact my eligibility for aid one bit (I was eligible to borrow the full cost of attendance, which was good, because my folks weren't paying for med school.)

Apply for FAFSA now. I doubt there is any reason to reapply after you get married, but your fiance's financial aid director could let him know if there is any reason to.

Members don't see this ad :)
seems like you need to apply now, however, I'm not sure. sorry

I don't think it will change anything. Apply early and good luck!