How much are GP dentists making per month and how much of that is going towards paying off monthly expenses? Whats your monthly net income?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akonce14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to see the financial aspect of paying off dentistry and have some questions. How much do GP dentists make per month and then how much of that goes towards paying off debts like tuition, insurance, etc.? After all debts, how much are you netting each year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to see the financial aspect of paying off dentistry and have some questions. How much do GP dentists make per month and then how much of that goes towards paying off debts like tuition, insurance, etc.? After all debts, how much are you netting each year?
There is a lot of variation in dentist income. Do you work full time or part time? Do you own an office or are you an associate? What procedures do you do? Where do you practice?

For me I am an associate less than two years out of school. I’ve already paid off all of my student loans. Before taxes are taken out I’m making about $420,000 per year or $35000 per month. Each month fluctuates so some months are better, and some are worse.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a lot of variation in dentist income. Do you work full time or part time? Do you own an office or are you an associate? What procedures do you do? Where do you practice?

For me I am an associate less than two years out of school. I’ve already paid off all of my student loans. Before taxes are taken out I’m making about $420,000 per year or $35000 per month. Each month fluctuates so some months are better, and some are worse.
how did you pay off all your student debt within two years? You're an associate gp making ~400k?

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you pay off all your student debt within two years? You're an associate gp making ~400k?
Limited my debt during dental school. Commuted to and from school and lived with my parents. Lived at home after graduated and worked hard to pay off my loans. Took me just over a year to pay off my loans. Yes, I’m an associate making north of $400k and I know of others doing the same. I’m nothing special. Just work hard and focus on learning.

Limited my debt during dental school. Commuted to and from school and lived with my parents. Lived at home after graduated and worked hard to pay off my loans. Took me just over a year to pay off my loans. Yes, I’m an associate making north of $400k and I know of others doing the same. I’m nothing special. Just work hard and focus on learning.

Can you give us an average number of crowns, fillings, endo, implants, extractions you do each month and percentage of collection/production? How many patients do you see each day? How many days/hours per week do you work?

Not saying you are a liar but I still can’t wrap my head around making 400k an associate GP only 1.5 years out.

I’m 3 years out making 285 a year or so, about 1500 a day 4 days a week. Or 24k a month before tax. At one office I average 2.5k a day but it’s just one day a week. that office it’s me running 4 columns of hygiene, along with 1 high production column (crowns/rcts/dentures) and one low production column (fillings and crowns seats). In my production column they book me 1 hr crowns, where I get the patient numb and prep in about 15 minutes and the assistant does the rest - temp/scan. I can do almost any endo that’s not a retreat so that’s a huge source of production, and usually I do rct and crown prep same day. Molar endo/core and crown prep takes me about an hour but we schedule 1.5 or 2 hours. If I was 5 days a week I’d make 350k and If I was able to do implants and Invisalign I could easily past 450k as an associate. Lots of money to be made as a gp but it’s also so hard to find a good practice like that. Most people average 1k a day it seems

Can you give us an average number of crowns, fillings, endo, implants, extractions you do each month and percentage of collection/production? How many patients do you see each day? How many days/hours per week do you work?

Not saying you are a liar but I still can’t wrap my head around making 400k an associate GP only 1.5 years out.
Each day is different.

Today will probably be two crowns, 4 extractions with bone grafting and then the rest is little stuff. Resins. Crown deliveries. Limited exams.

I have a picture of most of what I did yesterday attached. Standard day. Totaled just over $5700 adjusted production and spent a decent amount of time sitting around too.

I also have a picture of a really productive day from a week or two ago attached. This was over $15,000 in adjusted production but is by no means a normal day.

I work 5 days 8-5 with one hour for lunch and one or two Saturdays per month from 8-1.

Attachments

• IMG_4670.jpeg
    IMG_4670.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4671.jpeg
    IMG_4671.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: 1 users
I am not making as much compared to other people posting in this thread. 3 years out of school, I make about $16k/month pretax. After tax, health insurance (for just myself) & other deductions I take home about $10.5k/month. Current student loan repayment is $1200/month, disability insurance $200/month, my malpractice insurance is covered by work.

Reactions: 3 users
Each day is different.

Today will probably be two crowns, 4 extractions with bone grafting and then the rest is little stuff. Resins. Crown deliveries. Limited exams.

I have a picture of most of what I did yesterday attached. Standard day. Totaled just over $5700 adjusted production and spent a decent amount of time sitting around too.

I also have a picture of a really productive day from a week or two ago attached. This was over $15,000 in adjusted production but is by no means a normal day.

I work 5 days 8-5 with one hour for lunch and one or two Saturdays per month from 8-1.
Thank you for the detailed response. On average how long do you spend prepping a first molar crown or finishing a molar endo?

And are you being paid on 40-50% adjusted production? Sorry if I am not very familiar with private practice

Thanks

Thank you for the detailed response. On average how long do you spend prepping a first molar crown or finishing a molar endo?

And are you being paid on 40-50% adjusted production? Sorry if I am not very familiar with private practice

Thanks
I usually schedule an hour for a crown, although it only takes about 30 minutes.

I usually schedule one and a half hours for a molar root canal, buildup, and crown. Occasionally two hours depending on what the side book schedule is like.

I’m being paid 35% adjusted production.

I usually schedule an hour for a crown, although it only takes about 30 minutes.

I usually schedule one and a half hours for a molar root canal, buildup, and crown. Occasionally two hours depending on what the side book schedule is like.

I’m being paid 35% adjusted production.
is this DSO or private practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not making as much compared to other people posting in this thread. 3 years out of school, I make about $16k/month pretax. After tax, health insurance (for just myself) & other deductions I take home about $10.5k/month. Current student loan repayment is $1200/month, disability insurance $200/month, my malpractice insurance is covered by work.
Why is it only $1200/month? Is your student loan balance only $100k? Are you on a standard 10 yr repayment plan?

Not saying you are a liar but I still can’t wrap my head around making 400k an associate GP only 1.5 years ou

Yeah I don't buy it either. The only way I can see this happening is if he joined his parents practice and they are the ones paying him that much. Or he was a licensed dentist in another country and then had to take additional classes in the US to practice here. No mentally sane person is going to pay a newly grad unexperienced dentist that much.

that sounds normal honestly. I wouldn't get hung up on what some people claim to make. In my experience those people joined their families already existing practice or they were foreign practicing dentists now working in the US. I know a kid who's dad is one of the top cosmetic dentists in beverly hills and he now works for him. Of course he claims that he was all self-made and whatnot lol Hides the fact that his father donated millions to the school to get accepted and then receive all these bs rewards

Yeah I don't buy it either. The only way I can see this happening is if he joined his parents practice and they are the ones paying him that much. Or he was a licensed dentist in another country and then had to take additional classes in the US to practice here. No mentally sane person is going to pay a newly grad unexperienced dentist that much.
I’m the first dentist in my family! Working for what was a total stranger. I negotiated my way up to 35% adjusted production, but that percentage is honestly not that unheard of. My advice to others would be to make sure you’re in a busy office that has the patient base to support you and don’t settle for any of these jobs trying to offer 25% collections. I started interviewing for jobs in the fall of my D4 year and interviewed with a lot of bad ones before I found something good. But seeing multiple contracts helped me see what is negotiable.

I’m happy to help or give advice if anyone wants to PM me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
400k is not the norm for an associate. Anyone claiming it is- is delusional and humble bragging.

I’m sure that people make the money but it’s not common. If anything it’s rare

400k is not the norm for an associate. Anyone claiming it is- is delusional and humble bragging.

I agree it’s definitely not the norm! I’m just stating my own experience. If I had to guess I’d say the average full time associate dentist is probably making $200-250k.

The income depends on the clinical skills of the dentist. The faster you are, the higher volume patients you can handle, and the more money you will make. It usually takes one about 6 months to a year to become really fast. If after 1 year, one is still slow, it’s very unlikely that he/she will become faster as years go by. Many of the good and fast managing dentists at the corp offices, where I’ve worked at, are mostly young dentists, who have only been out for a few years. They got promoted to managing dentist positions only after 6-12 months of working for the company. The one thing they all have in common is they rarely complain and are willing to accept any case that is thrown at them. They handle all the assigned tasks quickly with fewer redos and fewer patients' complaints. The office managers love to assign challenging (and high production) cases to them (and give easy cases to the slower associate dentists) because they know the cases can be finished on time..... and everybody can go home on time.

As an ortho, I love working with these fast dentists because the sooner they can finish all the restorative work, the sooner I can start ortho tx and the sooner I can go home.

Last edited:
that sounds normal honestly. I wouldn't get hung up on what some people claim to make. In my experience those people joined their families already existing practice or they were foreign practicing dentists now working in the US. I know a kid who's dad is one of the top cosmetic dentists in beverly hills and he now works for him. Of course he claims that he was all self-made and whatnot lol Hides the fact that his father donated millions to the school to get accepted and then receive all these bs rewards
I think I know who you’re talking about 😂

This topic comes around every couple weeks!

I graduated in 2023, producing close to 100k a month. 35% adjusted production. I would agree, definitely rare, but possible. Working in my clinic, I can see how Pablo can make that much. I don't even do some of the advanced stuff that he does, and I'm making just a bit less. It's been a constant increase for me as I get faster with my work. I've been averaging 1600-1700 my take a day.

I take care of my parents and myself (2 different households) so the expenses are a double. My parents are retired due to health reasons. I've started with nothing on both: we had a bare minimum to survive, basically, and I started working to build from scratch. I have saved for emergency funds ~50k. Put some into retirement and investments, ~50k. Student loans under SAVE until July. I am saving now, in investment accounts, to aggressively pay off some of the higher interest ones once SAVE ends (paying $0 for student loans now. All under no interest atm). There were some unfortunately unexpected expenses that I had to spend aside from listed above. I also want to send my parents on vacations before it gets too late, as they almost never went on vacations in their lives, trying to support me - putting some money there as well. Had to replace two of almost 20 year old cars.

Everyone is different. I had to take out all student loans to fund for housing for my parents as well, while I attended school. My school loan is in the upper 500k. I can't pay for this anywhere near as fast as Pablo, but I'll plan it out for the best of my situation.

I have a friend who was in the similar range of debt, making about the same, living with parents who support her 100% with food and living expenses, and she's been putting everything into her loans. I suspect she's at least a third way down by now.

Reactions: 9 users

Dentists (all) are paid on what they do. It's not dependent upon what someone else is willing to pay. You eat what you kill. If you come out of a good school and have a strong skill set, having done lots of reps, and then find an office where you stay busy and aren't just being given scraps, making $300k+ is very possible.

I (2022 grad) and a handful of my classmates are making in this income range. It's all about finding the right office and maintaining motivation.
You're right that it's rare, but it's not delusional. These dentists often don't have time in their day to spend on social media telling everyone how much they make.

I would say the most common scenario is new grad dentists joining a DSO or even a private office. They are not quick, lack confidence, and find themselves in slow offices with bad insurances and have a low % on collections or even worse, a low daily guarantee. Those are the dentists making $120-180k.

Reactions: 5 users
I would say the $120-$180k range is much more common and realistic than this thread makes it sound.

Making $300k as a new grad is possible but not easy. You need the right office systems, patient base, skill set, good hands, and good people skills … and most dentists won’t be lucky enough to have all of those available at the same time.

Pablo, just think how much you'd be making if you were working for yourself.

Associating is a funny thing. It's an even a weirder paradox for those who employ associates. The quality of the associate varies greatly. The ones with great drive and skill often don't stay associates long because they see they just need to buy and work for themselves. So the owner who finds these great associates often loses them quickly and end up with uncomfortable turnover. And then there are the associates, to put it kindly, that don't have the skill or drive that will ride the easy train, barely progressing. This can be a drag on the practice they work at, and honestly the earn what they deserve.

I have to shake my head at the endless argument about how much an associate should earn. 30,35,40%? Collections? Production? Adjusted Production? Who gets the money on xrays/flouride/etc? Negotiate as best you can, work hard and learn. Then move on. I just don't think long term associateship should be the goal if you are interested in making the most for your efforts.

My point is, get a good associateship with the intent to learn for 1-2 years (No more than 4), then buy a practice and work for yourself instead.

Reactions: 6 users
This topic comes around every couple weeks!

I graduated in 2023, producing close to 100k a month. 35% adjusted production. I would agree, definitely rare, but possible. Working in my clinic, I can see how Pablo can make that much. I don't even do some of the advanced stuff that he does, and I'm making just a bit less. It's been a constant increase for me as I get faster with my work. I've been averaging 1600-1700 my take a day.

I take care of my parents and myself (2 different households) so the expenses are a double. My parents are retired due to health reasons. I've started with nothing on both: we had a bare minimum to survive, basically, and I started working to build from scratch. I have saved for emergency funds ~50k. Put some into retirement and investments, ~50k. Student loans under SAVE until July. I am saving now, in investment accounts, to aggressively pay off some of the higher interest ones once SAVE ends (paying $0 for student loans now. All under no interest atm). There were some unfortunately unexpected expenses that I had to spend aside from listed above. I also want to send my parents on vacations before it gets too late, as they almost never went on vacations in their lives, trying to support me - putting some money there as well. Had to replace two of almost 20 year old cars.

Everyone is different. I had to take out all student loans to fund for housing for my parents as well, while I attended school. My school loan is in the upper 500k. I can't pay for this anywhere near as fast as Pablo, but I'll plan it out for the best of my situation.

I have a friend who was in the similar range of debt, making about the same, living with parents who support her 100% with food and living expenses, and she's been putting everything into her loans. I suspect she's at least a third way down by now.
You have my respect! That's a lot of forethought and discipline, both through school and beyond.

Reactions: 2 users
To you guys making a lot as associates, what kind of area/demographics are you in? And as a general metric to help me gauge, roughly how many extractions do you do a week/month?

My first office out of school was an amazing rural Midwest office. Between 4 docs monthly production was 7-800k a month. Endless amount of need in the patient base.

Now I'm in a different state, working in an affluent suburb of a big city. Totally different office. My average new patient doesn't have a single cavity. I do like 2 extractions a month. I have the skills (Endo, implants, etc) but I feel like people are too healthy lol.

To you guys making a lot as associates, what kind of area/demographics are you in? And as a general metric to help me gauge, roughly how many extractions do you do a week/month?

My first office out of school was an amazing rural Midwest office. Between 4 docs monthly production was 7-800k a month. Endless amount of need in the patient base.

Now I'm in a different state, working in an affluent suburb of a big city. Totally different office. My average new patient doesn't have a single cavity. I do like 2 extractions a month. I have the skills (Endo, implants, etc) but I feel like people are too healthy lol.
Im about 25 minutes outside of one of the major cities in the Northeast.

It’s a tough question to answer. Each month is different. Sometimes I’ll do 10 extractions in a day. Sometimes I’ll go weeks without doing any.

If this office does not provide you enough work to keep you busy, you can ask your boss to let you work fewer days and book as many patients in one day as possible. And for the other extra days in the week, you can get a part time job at another office where a dentist with great clinical skills like yours is needed.

I met a recent grad who graduated from dental school at 47. He bought a practice right after graduation and paid it in full. His office only has enough patients to keep him busy 3 days/wk. To supplement his income, he travels to work at 2 other offices. At one of these 2 offices, he only does endos (as many as 14 cases a day)…and he only works there 1 day a month. His boss saves all the endo cases for him because his boss doesn’t like doing endos.

My wife used to work at an office in Newport Beach, CA , which is a super affluent area. She quit this job after a month because she didn’t like the patients there. They are rich but they don’t want to spend money on their teeth. They are also very picky. The boss didn’t want to lose my wife so he asked her to work at his other office in Lake Elsinore, where the home prices are 1/10 of the Newport Beach homes. And my wife does very well at this lower income location. The only down side is it’s 50-60 minutes drive from home.

My wife and I live in Orange County but we travel to work at lower income locations like Riverside, Corona, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Lake Elsinore, Downey, Baldwin Park because the pays (more patients = better pay) are better at these locations.

Im about 25 minutes outside of one of the major cities in the Northeast.

It’s a tough question to answer. Each month is different. Sometimes I’ll do 10 extractions in a day. Sometimes I’ll go weeks without doing any.
How much treatment does your avg new patient need would you say?

If this office does not provide you enough work to keep you busy, you can ask your boss to let you work fewer days and book as many patients in one day as possible. And for the other extra days in the week, you can get a part time job at another office where a dentist with great clinical skills like yours is needed.

I met a recent grad who graduated from dental school at 47. He bought a practice right after graduation and paid it in full. His office only has enough patients to keep him busy 3 days/wk. To supplement his income, he travels to work at 2 other offices. At one of these 2 offices, he only does endos (as many as 14 cases a day)…and he only works there 1 day a month. His boss saves all the endo cases for him because his boss doesn’t like doing endos.

My wife used to work at an office in Newport Beach, CA , which is a super affluent area. She quit this job after a month because she didn’t like the patients there. They are rich but they don’t want to spend money on their teeth. They are also very picky. The boss didn’t want to lose my wife so he asked her to work at his other office in Lake Elsinore, where the home prices are 1/10 of the Newport Beach homes. And my wife does very well at this lower income location. The only down side is it’s 50-60 minutes drive from home.

My wife and I live in Orange County but we travel to work at lower income locations like Riverside, Corona, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Lake Elsinore, Downey, Baldwin Park because the pays (more patients = better pay) are better at these locations.
I've only been here a couple months so still kind of ramping up. My schedule is mostly full but again it's lots of occlusal fillings lol. I'm making a good income because it's FFS. But still desire to do more. But even the owners are only booked out like 1-2 weeks. At my last office all the docs were booked out for months. Just a big demographic difference.

Thought I’d chime in. North of 400k as an associate sounds great and is definitely doable if you are doing the right kinds of procedure. I’m a new doc working as an associate in a mostly insurance based practice. No gpr or AEGD experience. I made 130k my first six months out of school. If I keep this pace this year I should make 285k. I’m mostly doing fillings and extractions. I’ll do maybe 3 crowns a week and a RCT a week. So I definitely could see myself making more if I was doing more crowns/higher paying procedures, but even with just the basic procedures I feel like it’s going fine for my first year or so out of school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thought I’d chime in. North of 400k as an associate sounds great and is definitely doable if you are doing the right kinds of procedure. I’m a new doc working as an associate in a mostly insurance based practice. No gpr or AEGD experience. I made 130k my first six months out of school. If I keep this pace this year I should make 285k. I’m mostly doing fillings and extractions. I’ll do maybe 3 crowns a week and a RCT a week. So I definitely could see myself making more if I was doing more crowns/higher paying procedures, but even with just the basic procedures I feel like it’s going fine for my first year or so out of school.
You’re doing great! Keep it up and keep learning. The thing is you won’t keep this pace. You’ll only get better and better. Faster and faster. You’ll be able to treatment plan things and work more efficiently. You’ll develop a more trusting relationship with the patients. If you did $130k your first six months, you’ll do better than that your next six months. $400k+ as an associate might be right around the corner.

How much treatment does your avg new patient need would you say?
Once again, tough to answer. Some new patients come in and just need a cleaning. Others come in and need the works. Multiple extractions/bone grafts/root canals/are interested in Invisalign. I’m sorry I can’t give you a better idea of “average”.

Are you still driving that black shiny Mac?
Yep, I tried a Tesla and wasn't a fan of it. I might look into a Taycan but on the fence about it. I don't like the look... and don't get me started on the Cybertruck. It looks like an ugly stepchild of the Aztek and DeLorean and been seeing it around.

Yep, I tried a Tesla and wasn't a fan of it. I might look into a Taycan but on the fence about it. I don't like the look... and don't get me started on the Cybertruck. It looks like an ugly stepchild of the Aztek and DeLorean and been seeing it around.
Test drive the Audi RS Q8. It is the classier version of the Lambo. Life is too short.

How about the new Panamera?

I used to hate the design of the model X but it grew on me. Now, I prefer to drive the model X over model S because of the smoother ride quality. I like the falcon wing doors and the automatic front driver's door, which swings open when I approach the car and closes when I walk away (or step on the brake). I don’t need to shift the gear to D nor to R because it automatically puts the car in Reverse when it recognizes an obstacle in front of it, and vice versa. The latest full self driving software actually works very well now….the car automatically stops at the red light (and stop signs) and when the traffic lights switch to green, it moves.

I recently bought another model X. The reason the car looks glossier on the 2nd photo was I applied the clear protection film on it (by myself). The paint quality of the Tesla is not good; therefore, having the protective film is a must. The red model S next to it is a 6 yo car and it runs like new…no engine noise, no vibration, the battery still holds the charge well at 300 mile range (335 miles when it was brand new). And that black BMW X7 will soon be replaced with another model X when its lease expires. I plan to go 100% electric. So I don’t have to bring them in every 6-10 months for maintenance like the gas cars. It’s good that Tesla reduced the price by $40k. I’ve had enough fun with the German luxury cars. Now, I just want cheap and reliable cars….I can’t work (to pay for these toys) forever. It's time for me to slow down.
Screenshot_20240119_123600_Photos.jpg

20231104_210429.jpg

Last edited:
I used to hate the design of the model X but it grew on me. Now, I prefer to drive the model X over model S because of the smoother ride quality. I like the falcon wing doors and the automatic front driver's door, which swings open when I approach the car and closes when I step on the brake. I don’t need to shift the gear to D nor to R because when it automatically puts the car in Reverse when it recognizes an obstacle in front of it, and vice versa. The latest full self driving software actually works very well now….the car automatically stops at the red light and when the traffic light switches to green, it moves.

I recently bought another model X. The reason the car looks glossier on the 2nd photo was I applied the clear protection film on it (by myself). The paint quality of the Tesla is not good; therefore, having a protective film is a must. The red model S next to it is a 6 yo car and it runs like new…no engine noise, no vibration, the battery still holds the charge well at 300 mile range (335 miles when it was brand new). And that black BMW X7 will soon be replaced with another model X when its lease expires. I plan to go 100% electric. So I don’t have to bring them in every 6-10 months for maintenance like the gas cars. It’s good that Tesla reduced the price by $40k. I’ve had enough fun with the German luxury cars. Now, I just want cheap and reliable cars….I can’t work (to pay for these toys) forever. It's time for me to slow down.
View attachment 386553

View attachment 386554
It's nice to be rich.

I just ordered a model Y a few days ago.