Dental How should I schedule the DAT versus completing additional coursework for GPA repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I hope I get some insight here about what to do next.

So I took biochem this quarter and did really poorly on it and this affected my GPA by a lot. It was already 3.1 and now its 2.9. I am gonna be graduating next year in 2020 and was thinking of applying to dental school in spring quarter. My plan was to take the DAT this summer and take the physics pre-req in the next summer. Since I did poorly on my biochem, I am gonna retake it in the the fall quarter.

I have two options :

1. I take the DAT as planned this summer. Take biochem in fall along with other upper div classes (they are all hard) and take physics next summer. This way even if a I do average on DAT this time, I still have next year in summer to retake it along with taking physics.

2. I take an upper division course this summer and start improving my GPA by taking less load in the Fall but Take DAT next summer along with taking physics. OR take physics in the Fall Quarter ( at a CC) along with biochem and other upper div courses so that I can focus only on my DAT next summer.

Sorry if this sounds confusing !
And thank you in advance!

Studying for the DAT while taking a condensed, difficult science class is unlikely to end well for you. Cramming multiple difficult science classes into your fall term doesn't seem like a great idea either when you need to demonstrate a steep upward grade trend on your application transcript. Your GPA is already in need of repair. Decompressing your timeline is more likely to give you application success. What classes are you taking next spring? Why not consider waiting an additional year to apply so you can further repair your GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking of taking one upper div class this summer and take the physics pre-req in CC during the Spring semester (Jan - May since they are semester system). This way I would not have too much load in the Spring and will have time work on my PS and can study for my DAT as well.

My only concern is that I would have only 1 chance to score the DAT with good numbers and If I don't, then I'll just wait additional year.

I agree that starting your GPA repair this summer is a good idea.

Perhaps you could get a head start on DAT study and polishing your application over winter break and also dedicating spring break to those endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.