If you answer this pharm question, you know your pharm well

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warriordoc911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Xanthine oxidase is inhibited by:

1. Allopurinol
2. Xanthine
3. Alloxanthine
4.Hypoxanthine
5. Uric acid
6. I don't know and I better review my pharm notes

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it obscure because you don't know it and it's not found in FA? well they have asked this kind of question before according to Kaplan professor and it's in kaplan pharm book too. This kind of question tests if the student just memorized the stuff or they understood. FYI since you don't know it, Allopurol is converted to Alloxanthine by Xanthine Oxidase and it's this product that inhibits Xanthine oxidase. Folks what's not found in FA doesnt mean it's not HY.

So the quality of your pharm knowledge is contingent on whether you know an obscure metabolic pathway?

Is it obscure because you don't know it and it's not found in FA? well they have asked this kind of question before according to Kaplan professor and it's in kaplan pharm book too. This kind of question tests if the student just memorized the stuff or they understood. FYI since you don't know it, Allopurol is converted to Alloxanthine by Xanthine Oxidase and it's this product that inhibits Xanthine oxidase. Folks what's not found in FA doesnt mean it's not HY.

it actually is in FA btw.

This would be among the easiest questions I'd expect on step 1. Not least of all because it takes all of 5 seconds to either answer it or realize you're screwed.

:confused: Knowing that just means you passed biochem.

and allopurinol and alloxanthine both inhibit xanthine oxidase (allopurinol is converted by xanthine oxidase after-all ;)), it's just that alloxanthine has a longer half-life.

I had that question recycled twice through yesterday in my QBank, and for some reason it's been stuck in my head all day... and now you post it here... weird

If allopurinol has to be metabolized to alloxanthine, then isn't allopurinol itself still a competitive inhibitor of Xanthine oxidase because the enzyme is converting the allopurinol instead of hypoxanthine?

If allopurinol has to be metabolized to alloxanthine, then isn't allopurinol itself still a competitive inhibitor of Xanthine oxidase because the enzyme is converting the allopurinol instead of hypoxanthine?

Yes.

This whole thread is so random, I don't get it... I think it smells Trolly in here..