Medical Importance of LOR from med school professor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to take gap year and continuing research with a professor that I have been doing for 2 years. It has been a great experience, and I have received a few publications for the work I have done. However, I am facing a bit of dilemma as to what my next move should be. Currently I am looking at two post-baccs, postbacc a and postbacc b. Postbacc A is a DO school, and has a solid linkage program(guaranteed interview if you meet x gpa). On the other hand, postbacc b is the same school that I am doing research with the professor, but doesn't have any linkage, but I'd' be able to do my research with him for another year. My question is, how much of a difference could his LOR make, considering he is faculty at the medical school? My concern is that by choosing to do the non-linkage route, I will end up not getting in and wasting another year. FYI, I'd take the school he teaches at within in a heart beat, but I have below median stats for it, which is why I am hesitant. Any input that someone has would be greatly appreciated.
Completely dependent on how big of a deal this PI is and whether "below median" is just below median, or if you're well-below the school's usual admission requirements.

I would also argue that we need better info to know how "solid" this linkage is. If they routinely accept a good number of these interviewees then that's great, but if it's just a courtesy interview that does you little good.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...both of these post bacs are at medical schools? You sure they aren’t SMP?

Personally, I think it depends on how big a deal he/she is and how good of LOR they wrote. It could help.

However, linkage is always good if the requirements are attainable for you. What are the prices?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I meant smp. I'm pretty confident that the LOR will be solid, but is there a way to gauge how big of a deal he is aside from number of pubs? The prices are pretty comparable(<2k difference) when factoring in COL expenses.
I mean, if he is on the board of xyz or is a world renowned publisher or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.