Interesting video

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wscott

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bring on the sweat lodges and smudging sticks

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the idea of incorporating alternatives to the western approach into medicine. It'd be great if these treatments can stand up to scientific rigor but I'm pretty okay with placebo, as long as you get the outcome you want.

The oath itself is kind of silly but no need to worry, once the students hit the real world they'll conform to reality to survive.

Reactions: 1 user
“The pledge is now being ridiculed online, with many Twitter users saying they will no longer go to a doctor who got their diploma from the University of Minnesota.”

That’ll teach them a lesson! Lol

By the way, the Hippocratic Oath starts out

“I swear by Apollo Healer, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.”

Bring back paganism to medicine!

More than the "indigineous ways of healing" section, I am more shocked by the promise to fight "gender binary". MitchLevi said it best.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still believe in and follow the Hippocratic oath.

By the way, the Hippocratic Oath starts out

“I swear by Apollo Healer, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture.”

Bring back paganism to medicine!
paganism is already flourishing in the US as well as in medicine

The video, simply put, is strange and a bit frightening. They look like zombies with heads bowed being told what to do; what is right; and what is wrong; by the “leader”.

not sure why some people on this board are so triggered by what medical students chose to pledge.

those claiming that things are too "woke" are generally those who have the problem.

they are not reciting this as the final Hippocratic oath when they are finishing medical school - these are new med students.

personally i dont remember any oath of any sort when i started med school, besides "what the #)$( did i voluntarily sign up for?"

not sure why some people on this board are so triggered by what medical students chose to pledge.
Problem is they aren't choosing to. The school is shoving liberal views down their throats. There's no need for the school to inject extreme politics into a standard tradition.

Problem is they aren't choosing to. The school is shoving liberal views down their throats. There's no need for the school to inject extreme politics into a standard tradition.

The article was pretty clear that the students were the ones that provided the input for this. I'm guessing there was some from the faculty too, but at least from the article this doesn't appear to to be a "down their throats" situation.

Reactions: 1 users
“ I pledge to treat every patient the best I can”.
Done.

All the other…. Is then not necessary.

that might be the case in other situations - but the students themselves came up with this pledge, not the medical school.

that might be the case in other situations - but the students themselves came up with this pledge, not the medical school.
Setting the content of the "oath" aside, I wonder if there is any value at all in a pledge that varies from year to year, student body to student body, and to the political hot topic of the moment.

The whole point of the Hippocratic Oath is that we, as a profession, all agree to the same standards.

I've only given two oaths in my life, at my wedding and in the military.

I've only given two oaths in my life, at my wedding and in the military.
pledge of allegiance?
hippocratic oath?
scout oath? you have boy scout written all over you

most people would say that becoming a bar mitzvah is an oath

Traditional religion being replaced with a new radical religion