Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiopathic said:
How was SLU?

SLU....it was nice man. I would have posted an extensive review about it, but SUGAR already wrote about SLU. Personally, I liked the program. The PD and residents we hung out w/ were VERY cool. I mean the PD is REALLY REALLY down to earth. I think they have their education situation squared away now and are VERY proactive about education it appears. I guess the one 'drawback' (I guess not everyone thinks it is) is that it's no MGH, CCF in terms of research (although, the chairman personally told us that he was really trying to change this). It's more like a program run by a private practice.

Now to contribute to the whole STEP 1 and 2 thing. I've been reallllllly busy w/ a rotation of mine that's kicking my a$$ so havent been posting as frequently...but my step 1 score is horrible as well. but step 2 score (which recently came back) was definitely an improvement and I think it helped me get two more interviews and 2 rejections. So.....

like i said, i think first week of november will be a very activity filled week.

Members don't see this ad.

got the nod from NYU today.

so for gas: columbia, SUNY downstate, UIC, einstein/montefiore, UWisc, USC, SLR, NYU.

i applied to way too many prelims. i think i mentioned that before.

UT-Houston.

Anyone else feel slighted? Not paying for a hotel is one thing, but not even providing a list of nearby hotels or offering a discounted rate is another.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel entitled to a hotel as well these days - but of course most everyone else going into other specialties are not getting hotels - which reconfirms again that anesthesiology rocks. And those programs that send out the reduced rates: a lot of times you can find even cheaper rates online (expedia, etc) at the same d*mn hotel!

Did you get the USC one - the hotels are like miles away - in the second biggest city in the country - - Ok, I'll stop being a cry baby and appreciate how lucky those of us getting interviews, especially this early in the season, are.

Etomidate said:
UT-Houston.

Anyone else feel slighted? Not paying for a hotel is one thing, but not even providing a list of nearby hotels or offering a discounted rate is another.

St. Vincent 10/18. Eek I didn't know they turned into a categorical program!

Ladies - how do you keep your knee-highs from constantly falling down? Also, would it look bad to changein comfortable shoes right before the tour? Any input appreciated!

aredoubleyou said:
I feel entitled to a hotel as well these days - but of course most everyone else going into other specialties are not getting hotels - which reconfirms again that anesthesiology rocks. And those programs that send out the reduced rates: a lot of times you can find even cheaper rates online (expedia, etc) at the same d*mn hotel!

i agree...LOL what about ranking only programs that offered hotels/accom the night before :laugh:

j/k....there are some programs that even offered to reimburse for travel/plane fare. Now thats an offer that someone CANT refuse in my opinion.

ThinkFast007 said:
there are some programs that even offered to pay to reimburse for travel/plane fare. Now thats an offer that someone CANT refuse in my opinion.

UCSF was one of them!
I wish the Wall St J would write another article about how anesthesiology is gunna tank again - - - I want first class tickets please

ThinkFast007 said:
i agree...LOL what about ranking only programs that offered hotels/accom the night before :laugh:

j/k....there are some programs that even offered to reimburse for travel/plane fare. Now thats an offer that someone CANT refuse in my opinion.

If I had $$$, I'd buy a property like in NYC and/or Boston where med students/residents could stay pre-interview. It'd be obviously cheaper than an hotel, and would be more upscale than a hostel (i.e. individual rooms). ...

Which programs offer tickets?

ThinkFast007 said:

So far: JHU, WSH-STL, Wake, Vandy, UAB, SUNY-Up, Mayo-Jax, Penn, Miami-FLA, MAryland, UNC, USCarolina, UTSW, UVA, UVCW, Yale, UFLA, Columbia, UTenn-Knox, GWU, UNM

I applied to too many; I'm already gonna cancel atleast 6-8 of these for fiscal reasons.

Anyone else cancelling already? Do y'all think that would be bed

I think most people getting lots of interviews are cancelling - but be careful not to cancell too many cause its probably still competitive enough of a yr that you might need to rank a bunch of places to for sure match - but that being said I think you could cancell 8 of these minimum! 10 interviews is probably more than enough to match, but i might do ~12 just cause im paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
but I'm sure ya'll won't mind!

Interview offers (most in late Sept, early Oct):
SLU
UAB
MUSC
VCU
NY-Columbia (and Maimonides TY)
UNC
WF
S&W

Everyone is paying hotel/dinner, except New York. I'm nervous too... No news in a while (but then again at least it's not bad news!) Hope to run into ya'll on the trail- Take care and GOOD LUCK!

Am I correct in assumiung that B&W and MGH do not cover hotel expenses?

EW1779 said:
Am I correct in assumiung that B&W and MGH do not cover hotel expenses?

MGH, B&W, and BID gave a list of available hotels and rates without offers to cover expenses.

masteropuppets said:
So far: JHU, WSH-STL, Wake, Vandy, UAB, SUNY-Up, Mayo-Jax, Penn, Miami-FLA, MAryland, UNC, USCarolina, UTSW, UVA, UVCW, Yale, UFLA, Columbia, UTenn-Knox, GWU, UNM

I applied to too many; I'm already gonna cancel atleast 6-8 of these for fiscal reasons.

Anyone else cancelling already? Do y'all think that would be bed

I have canceled several already. It's better to do it ASAP so other applicants can be offered those interview spots. I expect to have ~20 interview offers and will only go on 10.

Etomidate said:
I have canceled several already. It's better to do it ASAP so other applicants can be offered those interview spots. I expect to have ~20 interview offers and will only go on 10.

thanks etomidate for looking out for the rest of us. :thumbup:

Not sure if this has already been posted (this thread is becoming a sweater!), but Loyola sent out an email invite today (10/19)

masteropuppets said:
Which programs offer tickets?

From what I've read, programs used to really wine-and-dine applicants back in the late 90s when the field was being avoided like the plague...they'd pay for your plane tickets, hotels, meals and provide gifts... now that the pendulum has swung the other way, they don't have to go all out like that anymore (ie just pay for your hotel, if that).

I haven't heard of any programs paying for plane tickets this year. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

:( Got my first rejection today from Houston Methodist Transtional Program.

I didn't even know I applied to them. Oh the sting! The sting!

Invite from UMDNJ/RWJ today via snail mail only (10/19)

Etomidate said:
UT-Houston.

I interviewed last year, and a couple of my Houston Medical center interviews (anes and some prelims) didn't pay for the hotel. I always used priceline, and just chose the "MEd Center" area and put in like $50.00 and almost always got something....and usually it was a really nice hotel (I think I stayed at the Hilton on Travis a couple times) Just a suggestion!

This is not limbo, this is purgatory.

I am very happy with how many interviews I have. I "just" want 2 more!

My year is great except for this low level stress.

Did everyone get the MGH scholarship email? Pretty cool way to stimulate interest in academia.

It has been DEAD silent for a while. Not even TYs.

Oh the horror.

DrDre' said:
This is not limbo, this is purgatory.

I am very happy with how many interviews I have. I "just" want 2 more!

My year is great except for this low level stress.

Did everyone get the MGH scholarship email? Pretty cool way to stimulate interest in academia.

It has been DEAD silent for a while. Not even TYs.

Oh the horror.

What are you talking about? I feel for you - I just got invites from UCSF, Sinai, Cornell today

Just kidding - I wish :D

E02
OH man, you almost got me!

Glad I found a field where my OCD and neurotic tendancies can be used for good cause.

Hey all,

Heard from UCSF today via email.

They are offering to put people up in hotels if that matters.

Good luck on your interviews.

UCSF 10/20, email

G.O.B. III said:
Hey all,

Heard from UCSF today via email.

Me too! :)

But will probably turn down due to the insanely high cost of living... too bad... SF is beautiful!

DrDre' said:
E02
OH man, you almost got me!

Glad I found a field where my OCD and neurotic tendancies can be used for good cause.

Now I look pretty stoopid - no UCSF invite for me today :(

Invites: MGH, B&W, UTSW, WashU, Vandy, UMich, CCF, Utah, UPitt, Florida, SLU, UofC, UCLA, Mayo, Oklahoma, Virginia, UPenn, JHU, Northwestern

Declined: Vandy, WashU, CCF, UPitt, Florida, SLU, Northwestern

Scheduled: MGH, B&W, UTSW, UofC, UCLA, Mayo, Oklahoma, UPenn, JHU, Virginia

Haven't heard from: Emory, UCSF, Duke, Columbia, Cornell

E'02,

I thought that was sadly ironic, myself. Looked like a good day for a change. Even though I have decided to not go to UCSF, I want to be able to reject them!:)

Neurotic question du jour:

For those with UCSF invite, when were you down loaded by UCSF on ERAS? I applied 9/1 and was complete except for MSPE in Sept. THey DL'ed on 10/4?!

UCSF today by email!!
Dre, they d/l'd my stuff 10/4

I don't care how much it costs to live there, I'm ranking this bitch number one.

DrDre' said:
Neurotic question du jour:

For those with UCSF invite, when were you down loaded by UCSF on ERAS? I applied 9/1 and was complete except for MSPE in Sept. THey DL'ed on 10/4?!

Hey Dre,

Lovin' the insight... Pretty much the same as you, applied on 9/1, but was not complete until this week when my sub-I letter came in. I understand that a lot of this is just ego stroking right now with hoping to get invited everywhere. We all need some confidence going into interviews. We all have insecurities ( my board score is too low, I didn't go to a top tier med school, I didn't do enough research, my wang is too small (too loosely quote ear-ache). I am sure that once we start really interviewing it won't make a difference anymore, and we will be glad to start feeling like human beings again. I hope that it is an enjoyable experience for you all: the people that interview you want to like you.

G.O.B. III said:
Hey Dre,

Lovin' the insight... Pretty much the same as you, applied on 9/1, but was not complete until this week when my sub-I letter came in. I understand that a lot of this is just ego stroking right now with hoping to get invited everywhere. We all need some confidence going into interviews. We all have insecurities ( my board score is too low, I didn't go to a top tier med school, I didn't do enough research, my wang is too small (too loosely quote ear-ache). I am sure that once we start really interviewing it won't make a difference anymore, and we will be glad to start feeling like human beings again. I hope that it is an enjoyable experience for you all: the people that interview you want to like you.
THx GOB.
Way to go PAtau.

Sometimes I wish I was more concentrated on getting THE best training I can get- at whatever cost.

All the best!

Thinking of adding these. Decided to check out the big city. For those of you that have gotten interviews there do they pay for the hotel? Thanks you wacky SDNers

Mario

Loma Linda by email today

Loma Linda and UC Davis today by email

Northwestern by phone.
Weird, I think.
Do they still pay for hotel? Can't decide whether to go...

Hockeyguy said:
Thinking of adding these. Decided to check out the big city. For those of you that have gotten interviews there do they pay for the hotel? Thanks you wacky SDNers

Mario

Columbia doesn't. I dont think NYU does either.

DrDre' said:
Northwestern by phone.
Weird, I think.
Do they still pay for hotel? Can't decide whether to go...

Yeah, they pay for a REALLY NICE hotel...the Fitzgerald.

that blows! those cheap bastards - i wanted to party in NYC for a few days this winter and NOT pay for a hotel room

A good friend of mine who's a sr this year (i'm a fresh.) got gas interviews at university of kansas and baylor (houston) this week. He was telling me that u of kansas only interviews one person on any given interview day. Seemed strange to me. Anyone else heard of such a thing? Anyone have any insight into the quality of these programs?

Baylor and Loma Linda today - dont think im gunna go to Baylor, cant decide about loma - you guys know what airport to fly in for loma linda? I tried to price tickets going into san bernadino on expedia nad orbitz, but the airport didnt even come up. Somehow I thought they had an airport out there...actually I know they have an airport -but ive never used it. Do we fly into LAX or John Wayne - does it matter?

Hockeyguy said:

Mario

Unfortunately Columbia and NYU do not. I'm a Sinai student and they've never mentioned anything about hotels.

Status
Not open for further replies.