Interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efh4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been offered any interviews? I applied on opening day, but have not received any responses. I know it's still early, but I'm getting nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it.

I've been complete for ~2 weeks now and have heard nothing...

Word on the street is that a lot of interview invitations won't even go out until November. Even the most competitive applicants may not hear anything for a few months after submitting the ERAS application.

There are still at least 2 people in my class who are going for rads who haven't even started ERAS yet...

-doepug

Yeah I was an idiot two years ago and didn't even submit my ERAS application until the third week of October and still got plenty of interviews. I wouldn't recommend applying so late however. It's really really early in the game. Most of my interviews did come by the end of November however with a few in December and I think even one or two invits in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Cuts

Just curious, how many radiology/anesthesia places did you apply to last year and how many interviews did you end up with? Any really good programs?

Sorry to pry but you seem to be pretty open on the whole.

Thanks

Some places have offerred interviews. There's a thread on auntminnie.com that lists the places that have made offers so far.

...be careful about what you read on auntminnie!

The med student discussion board is full of nasty people with ulterior motives, and there's a tremendous amount of BS posted on there. I've seen the list you're referring to, and I'd be highly suspicious of it. People love to post garbage on that board to play head games, and much of this amounts to posting boldfaced lies.

Rest assured that it's early in the game, and that there's nothing we can do at this point aside from developing ulcers.

--doepug

Actually, I can validate the AuntMinnie list, after talking to classmates and acquaintances. All the programs on that thread have sent out interviews (the only one I've not heard about in person is Columbia).

But I concur, it's too early to worry about anything. Hang in there! We'll all match happily, if the gods smile upon us!:)

How can programs give out interviews without having transcripts or Dean's Letters? Do programs interview without one's grades? I find this kind of odd especially in a field as competitive as radiology.

The have your USMLE scores. While the dean's letter, personal statement, letters of rec are all important many programs do use the USMLE to screen for initial interview invits. A lot of people do have a complete application minus the dean's letter as well.

Interviews as most people have mentioned are handed out later in Oct and Nov, but there are programs that do hand them out earlier...

I have 3 so far...have a friend who got 1...as for transitional residencies, those are handed out more readily. But don't sweat it yet...still plenty of time.

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts
Sorry for the delay -- I just noticed this post today. I applied to 144 Rads programs (all of 'em except for NY and Cali) and about 40 Gas programs. I got 6 Rads interviews and about 15 Gas interviews--but I only accepted 2 of the Gas ones. For Rads I interviewed at St. Francis in Chicago, St. Luke's in Milwaukee, St. Joseph in Phoenix, LSU-Shreveport, U Missouri-Columbia, and Beth Israel in Newark... that's the order I ranked them. For Gas I interviewed at U Miami (phat!) and Illinois Masonic in Chicago... and I only ranked U Miami after all my Rads programs. Thankfully I matched at my #4 LSU-Shreveport. Till this day I'm thanking my lucky stars :).

Good luck this year!

Dr. Cuts,

Why did you not apply to any California or New York programs? Is it because they are way too competitive? And if so, are there unwritten requirements necessary to obtain a residency position in either of those states? Will I have any advantage if I'm attending a school in Cali.?

Thanks...