Is it getting hot in here? DS1 just around the bend.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiledoc2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all you dental maniacs
biggrin.gif

Anyone nervous about entering DS1? I?ll be the first to say that I?m starting to sketch a little as orientation approaches. I thought it would be a good idea to graduate a semester early and relax, travel, etc. It has been a blast, and well worth the extra work during my undergrad, but I feel a little complacent, dull, not at all prepared for the rigors of DS1. Anyone in the same boat as I am? Anyway, congratulations to all, and let me know were your headed. I?ll be at UCSF.

ps- Joe, I already know were your going.
tongue.gif

------------------
Your talent is God's gift to you.
What you do with it is your gift back to God.
--Leo Buscaglia

[This message has been edited by smiledoc2004 (edited 07-01-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations on getting in

Hey Rock, thanx for the congrats. I noticed you're from Canada, are you in dental school there? If so, can you elucidate on what it's like to your U.S. counterparts?

------------------
--Leo Buscaglia

[This message has been edited by smiledoc2004 (edited 07-01-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
not in dental school or medical school yet? still an undergrad...in terms of canadian dental school, it is IDENTICAL to US dental chools, in its curriculum, gpa requirements etc...It is so similar that students from canadian dental schools are easily matched into U.S dental school residencies....I guess the only plus here is that it is way, way cheaper than in the US (approx. 12,000/yr).

Hi Smiledoc,

Let me actually ask some other stuff, if you don't mind

with your credentials in terms of extra-curric.(I read your post elsewhere in chocobo's thread), how come you didn't apply to medical schools, or did you?

you see I am faced with a dilema, where in, I don't know which I want to do..dentistry will get me out earlier, and that is kind of a huge plus..

What made you finally decide on dentistry?
What is the general finacial security that comes with being a dentist?
What are the pluses and minus of being one?
Are there any regrets of not getting into medical school?

THe usual concern I hear about dentistry is that it only deals with teeth and bad breath? how true is that?

Any advice or opinion would be highly apprecieated.

Hey congrats on getting into UCSF...an awesome dental schoool
smile.gif
I am in med. school, but I have friends at the Dental school. Have a blast and good luck during the Pre-fall/the Mendoza year. Look up Cameron Fife and Mike ...Super cool guys
smile.gif

Best wishes!

Rock-
I was once in your shoes, grappling with the choice between medicine and dentistry. After I did some research, medicine (overall), fell short of my expectations. So, I chose not to apply to med school, and focused my attention towards dentistry.
My final decision to pursue a career in dentistry came after spending a lot of time and effort researching the field, and comparing it to medicine (it helped to have a brother who was a family practitioner). A few noteworthy points that swayed my decision were: as a dentist, the likelihood of owning my own practice is very high, the extremely high level of autonomy, exceptional work schedule, artistry, the focused nature of the work, and the flexibility of my earning potential. This last point leads me into your next question. The financial security you will have as a dentist is very good. There will always be the need for new dentists and with the large elderly population, and the ?baby boomers? starting to feel insecure; it?s a great time to go into the field. Also, the future of ?fee for service? billing looks bright. When I say, ?fee for service? I mean that the individuals insurance picks up most of the fee, and the patient covers the rest (this is really the only way that one can maintain the highest level of patient care).
It's tough to say what I don?t like about dentistry, though dealing with insurance paperwork and pathos people can have towards dentistry don?t seem too fun. One thing you have to have as a dentist is tough skin! I look forward to working with those people who may have had traumatic experiences in the chair, or had lousy work done. Your patients need to realize that they are in control, and that they can get up and walk out anytime (I think it?s this fear of helplessness that causes the so called ?dental anxiety?...I don't know, maybe it's the pain?).I will definitely be focusing on my injections techniques while in school!
It?s true that dentistry is the specialty of medicine that deals primarily with the teeth, but that is too general of a statement. Dentists can diagnose skin, and oral cancer, as well as certain metabolic diseases. Dentists are also concerned with the gums and underlying tissue and bone. As a dentist, you are the supreme authority on the oral cavity.
As for bad breath, I would be more concerned with your girlfriend or wifes bad breath rather than your patients?simply have your patients brush their teeth before they sit in your chair.
I hope my personal views help you in your career choice, be it medicine or dentistry.

------------------
--Leo Buscaglia

Hey Jacqueline-
Thanx, I look forward attending UCSF?I will definitely look up your friends. Best of luck to you.

------------------
--Leo Buscaglia