IV medication book recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

storyhill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I lost my old IV medication book. I can't even remember the name of it. Some nurse must have swiped it from my desk or something. I primarily use my computer at my desk. My hospital provides Uptodate/lexicomp as an electronic resource. That is fine but we do have network issues sometimes and I've been in situations where I need some info and I can't get to my computer or it is not working. I have tried using lexicomp on my phone and found it super glitchy and not reliable.

Any recommendations on books? We have Gahart/Elsevier IV med book up in central pharmacy. I might just end up having my manager order another for me. I'm decentralized, so I can choose another if you guys have any other better ones you can think of. Thanks for any ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree using the internet can be glitchy and unreliable so I use Trissel's Hanbook on Injectable Drugs, Extended Stability for Parenteral Drugs, and Trissel's Stability of Compounded Formulations.

Reactions: 1 user
gahart and lexicomp online for compatibility

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Trissel's ,Micromedex, Lexicomp, Sanford Guide, Epocrates, Drugs.com
I lost my old IV medication book. I can't even remember the name of it. Some nurse must have swiped it from my desk or something. I primarily use my computer at my desk. My hospital provides Uptodate/lexicomp as an electronic resource. That is fine but we do have network issues sometimes and I've been in situations where I need some info and I can't get to my computer or it is not working. I have tried using lexicomp on my phone and found it super glitchy and not reliable.

Any recommendations on books? We have Gahart/Elsevier IV med book up in central pharmacy. I might just end up having my manager order another for me. I'm decentralized, so I can choose another if you guys have any other better ones you can think of. Thanks for any ideas.
Good thing you lost your "old" IV medication book, because it's not updated. You need electronic reference books. How bad could your internet be? And what size reference book can you carry in your pocket?
The State of Georgia AND JCAHO require the latest edition of all reference material. Are you ready to Update your reference books every year?

Last edited:
Don't know if you have peds in your practice, but I always kept a copy of the Teddy Bear book as a reference and reminder to what NOT to do in terms of concentrations and flows for peds and neonates. Either Trissel's or King's is fine for general compatibility.

Trissel's ,Micromedex, Lexicomp, Sanford Guide, Epocrates, Drugs.com

Good thing you lost your "old" IV medication book, because it's not updated. You need electronic reference books. How bad could your internet be? And what size reference book can you carry in your pocket?
The State of Georgia AND JCAHO require the latest edition of all reference material. Are you ready to Update your reference books every year?
I'm not really concerned with what the state or JCaho require. I just use common sense As long as a book is within 5 years I'm good with it.

I do have electronic reference for 95% of my stuff but it's that 5% of time that I'm concerned about.

The lexicomp is glitchy a lot with my phone. Sometimes my computer times out and it takes a minute to log in again, or it tells my password expired and I have to make up a new one...... just a lot of little things that have happened so trying to prepare for that in the future to prevent.

We used to have micromedex and I do miss that. I do have Sanford guide also, 2018 version! Bring it on Jcaho, nah I actually did just get the 2023 version but I believe that is updated yearly. I still use the 2018 version because i have it all marked up how I like it.

Don't know if you have peds in your practice, but I always kept a copy of the Teddy Bear book as a reference and reminder to what NOT to do in terms of concentrations and flows for peds and neonates. Either Trissel's or King's is fine for general compatibility.
Yeah we have peds and I did get a specific Peds and neonatal emergency medication manual. That is nice and yes we have it labelled with "verify medications concentrations..." on the cover of the book.

I think I'm going with gahart, which is actually Elsevier now. It actually isn't super expensive and seems decent.

I'm not really concerned with what the state or JCaho require. I just use common sense As long as a book is within 5 years I'm good with it.

I do have electronic reference for 95% of my stuff but it's that 5% of time that I'm concerned about.

The lexicomp is glitchy a lot with my phone. Sometimes my computer times out and it takes a minute to log in again, or it tells my password expired and I have to make up a new one...... just a lot of little things that have happened so trying to prepare for that in the future to prevent.

We used to have micromedex and I do miss that. I do have Sanford guide also, 2018 version! Bring it on Jcaho, nah I actually did just get the 2023 version but I believe that is updated yearly. I still use the 2018 version because i have it all marked up how I like it.
I am glad that you work at a facility that is completely free of any and all State and JCAHO requirements. Wish I worked there.