Long Island vs Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogtortori

LIU C/O 2028
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been accepted yet but these are the only schools I'm waiting for and would like to be prepared just in case. I have my pros and cons list but I'm still pretty torn. I have a close friend that attends Iowa and from her experience, she is struggling and not enjoying Iowa at all. Of course I can't compare her experience with what could be mine, but we spent 3 years studying together so I know her well. I would really benefit from seeing other people's experiences with these two schools :)

Pros of Long Island
-Distributive model for 4th year
-I really like their curriculum

Cons of Long Island
-not accredited and new, would be a guinea pig
-expensive

Pros of Iowa
-established
-teaching hospital

Cons of Iowa
-really old facilities (kind of depressing)
-not much to do in area
-curriculum seems outdated and similar to what I had to do in undergrad, and I want new material
-recently heard about the number of students failing/dropping out (friend goes there and scared she may leave as well)

Members don't see this ad.

So unfortunately, I don't know if there's a perfect answer here. Personally, I would still take the established, cheaper school over the new one that is $60k more in COA (unless you'd be in-state at Iowa, then the gap would be even larger). There isn't enough data yet to say how well students at LIU are going to do. Vet school is generally rough everywhere, so you're unlikely to find any school with an entirely happy student body.

That being said, Iowa has had a pretty bad attrition rate recently and they are harsher on academic progress than a lot of other schools. So it is definitely something to think about, if you at all think you might struggle academically. That would really be the only thing that would give me pause. Updated facilities are nice but unlikely to have a huge impact on your education, certainly not $60k plus interest worth of an impact. And I seriously doubt you've already learned everything in undergrad that they would be teaching you there, even if course titles are similar. You'll be getting new material.

Reactions: 3 users
So unfortunately, I don't know if there's a perfect answer here. Personally, I would still take the established, cheaper school over the new one that is $60k more in COA (unless you'd be in-state at Iowa, then the gap would be even larger). There isn't enough data yet to say how well students at LIU are going to do. Vet school is generally rough everywhere, so you're unlikely to find any school with an entirely happy student body.

That being said, Iowa has had a pretty bad attrition rate recently and they are harsher on academic progress than a lot of other schools. So it is definitely something to think about, if you at all think you might struggle academically. That would really be the only thing that would give me pause. Updated facilities are nice but unlikely to have a huge impact on your education, certainly not $60k plus interest worth of an impact. And I seriously doubt you've already learned everything in undergrad that they would be teaching you there, even if course titles are similar. You'll be getting new material.

I’m out of state for both. I looked at LIU’s policy on failing classes and the handbook states that remediation is possible up to two times I believe. As much as the attrition rate scares me right now even though ISU is more established, I think I’m starting to lean a bit more towards LIU after reading your post

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m out of state for both. I looked at LIU’s policy on failing classes and the handbook states that remediation is possible up to two times I believe. As much as the attrition rate scares me right now even though ISU is more established, I think I’m starting to lean a bit more towards LIU after reading your post
I think you'd be taking a bit of a gamble with your money either way, but at least with Iowa you're gambling less money. I wouldn't personally attend a school that is on the upper end of CoA where there's no data to show things like NAVLE pass rate and successful program completion/competency after graduation unless I truly had no other option.

If you do get an acceptance at Iowa it might be worthwhile to contact them and ask about the attrition rate/what changes they are making to address it, and see if you're able to talk to current students more broadly than just your friend. I am not sure if the worst numbers that I've seen (I believe it was the second year class that has lost 20ish people, not sure how many of those were for academic reasons though) are generalizable across the board or if it was specific to that class. That information would help with decision-making.

Reactions: 1 users
To echo what was said already -

1.) Go to the least expensive option. 60k is nothing to sneeze at, that builds up a lot of interest (and is that including the cost of living difference? Because living on Long Island or in an area that's commutable is going to be MUCH more expensive than COL in Iowa.), which will follow you for a long time.

I also, personally, have a hard time encouraging people to attend programs that have very high tuition and don't even have a teaching hospital. It's never been clear to me what that money is going toward, and in terms of what's the best value to you as the consumer... I don't really see how you're getting any benefit for paying more than you would at a program with a hospital.

2.) Like Dubz said, I would be uncomfortable paying the upper end of tuition costs for a program lacking data on NAVLE pass rates, match rates for students who want to pursue internships/residencies, etc.

3.) It's virtually guaranteed that even if some course titles sound similar to things you took in undergrad, it's to much more depth and applied in a way that you did not have to previously. I'm certain that what's being taught at ISU is the current and up-to-date knowledge in vet med.

4.) Shiny new facilities are nice to look at, but for most of vet school, you're going to be in the same small set of rooms regardless of where you go. The function of the facility and what you're taught in it is far more important than how modern and aesthetically pleasing it is. Similarly, while you should make time for doing things for fun and self-care, you can live anywhere for 4 years. You're not going to have that much free time in vet school to go gallivanting into the city every weekend ;)

I do agree with what was said above that it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask ISU how they're planning to address the attrition rate (or what changes they've already planned to make).

tl;dr: go to your least expensive option.

Reactions: 4 users
LIU class of 2026 here.

I have really enjoyed my first year so far, and I’m glad I chose to come here rather than go to Ross. My professors are all great, it’s stressful but that’s to be expected.

As far as remediation they may adjust the policy as they evolve the program. As of now you can remediate your final exam if it drops you below passing (you were passing before the final). Passing is 70%, you can do this 3x is what I have been told. If you fail a class you can come back with the next class, repeat the course then join that class. There are a few people in my class who were originally class of 2025, but had to remediate and are now apart of c/o 2026. Maybe 1-2 students left from our class after our first semester. I can’t say if it was as personal reasons vs failing a class.

Pros:
-Since it’s a new school there are a lot of opportunities to get involved and help shape things for future students, like starting clubs etc.
- NYC is nearby and lots of opportunities in the area
- Lots of amazing clinical partners
- The school very much cares about animal welfare

Cons:
- Not only is LIU expensive, Long Island/NYC is an incredibly expensive place to live (rent is crazy), probably much higher COL than Iowa
- On campus housing is awful from what I hear, and I would avoid it if you can.

LIU class of 2026 here.

I have really enjoyed my first year so far, and I’m glad I chose to come here rather than go to Ross. My professors are all great, it’s stressful but that’s to be expected.

As far as remediation they may adjust the policy as they evolve the program. As of now you can remediate your final exam if it drops you below passing (you were passing before the final). Passing is 70%, you can do this 3x is what I have been told. If you fail a class you can come back with the next class, repeat the course then join that class. There are a few people in my class who were originally class of 2025, but had to remediate and are now apart of c/o 2026. Maybe 1-2 students left from our class after our first semester. I can’t say if it was as personal reasons vs failing a class.

Pros:
-Since it’s a new school there are a lot of opportunities to get involved and help shape things for future students, like starting clubs etc.

Cons:
- Not only is LIU expensive, Long Island/NYC is an incredibly expensive place to live (rent is crazy), probably much higher COL than Iowa

Thank you so much

LIU class of 2026 here.

Pros:

Cons:
Would you be able to further talk about your first year?

How was the transition to first year? Schedules? Do they record lectures? How do you manage your social life and other hobbies?

Would you be able to further talk about your first year?

How was the transition to first year? Schedules? Do they record lectures? How do you manage your social life and other hobbies?

So far I am enjoying my classes. I am very glad to be here, and hope to take advantage of all the opportunities vet school has to offer. The curriculum is something you can look up online for a semester breakdown.

As with any vet school, it’s extremely time consuming. I do enjoy some social activities, and I have become an active club member and board member. I have done some sporadic volunteering throughout the semester with local spay/neuter clinics with the shelter club. Otherwise I don’t really have any hobbies besides vet school right now. I used to volunteer weekly, foster special needs animals, play D&D, pretty much all of that has gone by the wayside because of school. I do read a lot in my downtime, and I joined a book club but that’s about it. Some of my classmates work part time, personally I can’t/don’t want to try to make that happen with everything else. Vet school is more than a full time job!

We have class from 8-4/5pm Monday-Thursday. Fridays we have a half day. A lot of students are stressed, but when I talk to people from other vet schools, the stress is either comparable or less than average (anecdotally) at LIU. I am taking 1-2 exams per week which is going to be the average for this semester. We have about 4 exams total for most of our classes. We also have vet skills where we learn clinical skills. I will be going out into clinics to start observations this semester for my vet skills class.

So far I am enjoying my classes. I am very glad to be here, and hope to take advantage of all the opportunities vet school has to offer. The curriculum is something you can look up online for a semester breakdown.

As with any vet school, it’s extremely time consuming. I do enjoy some social activities, and I have become an active club member and board member. I have done some sporadic volunteering throughout the semester with local spay/neuter clinics with the shelter club. Otherwise I don’t really have any hobbies besides vet school right now. I used to volunteer weekly, foster special needs animals, play D&D, pretty much all of that has gone by the wayside because of school. I do read a lot in my downtime, and I joined a book club but that’s about it. Some of my classmates work part time, personally I can’t/don’t want to try to make that happen with everything else. Vet school is more than a full time job!

We have class from 8-4/5pm Monday-Thursday. Fridays we have a half day. A lot of students are stressed, but when I talk to people from other vet schools, the stress is either comparable or less than average (anecdotally) at LIU. I am taking 1-2 exams per week which is going to be the average for this semester. We have about 4 exams total for most of our classes. We also have vet skills where we learn clinical skills. I will be going out into clinics to start observations this semester for my vet skills class.

this was so helpful thank you so much question, does LIU require that you buy a certain laptop/tablet? I heard they require iPads in any model but I also heard from another current student that a Microsoft pro tablet would work too

this was so helpful thank you so much question, does LIU require that you buy a certain laptop/tablet? I heard they require iPads in any model but I also heard from another current student that a Microsoft pro tablet would work too
They require a tablet that you can use Examsoft on, which is the test taking app we are using at the moment. Prettt much everyone has an iPad. I don’t know what other tablets Examsoft is compatible with.

They require a tablet that you can use Examsoft on, which is the test taking app we are using at the moment. Prettt much everyone has an iPad. I don’t know what other tablets Examsoft is compatible with.

okay thanks! The tablet I want to buy does support examsoft but I’ll probably contact LIU about it if I get accepted

LIU class of 2026 here.

Pros:

Cons:
Is there any apartments you suggest looking into, Im from out of state and will be moving in with my significant other but cant figure out what apartments to look at.