LSU-NO OMFS Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
6/14-6/28....leaving for Jax 6/30. You will be unimpressed w/ our OS knowledge but we'll work hard. Don't doubt us on that.

So my prior OR experience made me believe that scrubs are to be changed after every sx. for my (2) weeks, how many pairs are needed? Sounds like you don't have stringent rules regarding changing them. Fine w/ 1/day?

I'm unfamiliar with your #OR days/wk, clinic days, etc.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry. Just show up. Bring as many green scrubs as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, all is true concerning LSU NO. But, you know there is always a but,. I completed an externship there and 50% of the procedures/ surgeries you do there you will probably never do in pp. You do leave the program w/ tremendous confidence and knowledge in surgery. If you are a hardcore pp type of guy, LSU may "overtrain" you. If you want to go for heavy plastics, and maybe fellow in H&N cancer resections...LSU sets the stage perfectly for that... Again the teeth and titanium gods will not like their program. The guys that want to advertise and compete with the plastics & ents LSU NO is perfect training.

Yes, all is true concerning LSU NO. But, you know there is always a but,. I completed an externship there and 50% of the procedures/ surgeries you do there you will probably never do in pp. You do leave the program w/ tremendous confidence and knowledge in surgery. If you are a hardcore pp type of guy, LSU may "overtrain" you. If you want to go for heavy plastics, and maybe fellow in H&N cancer resections...LSU sets the stage perfectly for that... Again the teeth and titanium gods will not like their program. The guys that want to advertise and compete with the plastics & ents LSU NO is perfect training.

I beg to differ with ur experience. When did you come here? When you extern, most people just stay at Charity (now University Hospital). It's the trauma center of our activity with a mostly indigent patient population. We just started placing implants in our trauma hospital again. Most of our bread and butter procedures are done with our attendings (on the private rotation) and at the dental school. These rotations are never seen by externs since they stay down at trauma central. They also don't get to see Baton Rouge.

Members don't see this ad :)

Haha...Titanium God resides at LSU-NO...Have you heard of Block?

lsu is a great program in a town where only a few people feel excited about moving.....put that program in a more desirable city and it would be tough to beat.

lsu is a great program in a town where only a few people feel excited about moving.....put that program in a more desirable city and it would be tough to beat.

Ditto...

so Found Out Today That Dr. Block Reads The Forums. Because You Asked, Our Screenames Are Saxyducky And Armorshell.
Please!!! No More Gossip About Yah-e!!! Stop!!

armorshell,

Since you will be back soon, I expect a full report of the 'hands on' training you received at your externship.

armorshell,

Since you will be back soon, I expect a full report of the 'hands on' training you received at your externship.

1992Corolla while we are waiting on armorshell's bountiful stories at the ole' big easy how about you entertain us with you experiences at Christiana Care? How was the externship, scope, residents, faculty, etc.?

1992Corolla while we are waiting on armorshell's bountiful stories at the ole' big easy how about you entertain us with you experiences at Christiana Care? How was the externship, scope, residents, faculty, etc.?

http://omfsource.com/blog/2008/07/09/externship-christiana-care-wilmington-de/

check it out! Hope it helps. I had a great time, the attendings were very 'benign' as they say and the residents were very busy, tired looking, but overall seemed very happy. It seemed like a very solid program. *

* this is my first extrenship and really I have nothing to compare it to except for all the 'shave ankles' experiences everyone talk about on here.

http://omfsource.com/blog/2008/07/09/externship-christiana-care-wilmington-de/

check it out! Hope it helps. I had a great time, the attendings were very 'benign' as they say and the residents were very busy, tired looking, but overall seemed very happy. It seemed like a very solid program. *

* this is my first extrenship and really I have nothing to compare it to except for all the 'shave ankles' experiences everyone talk about on here.

Oh I'll write up a full report when I have some time, probably this weekend or last week. I've meticulously tracked everything I've done while I've been here, down to the injection, and I can report decently on what I've seen as well. I can say that me and my co-extern (Also a rising 2nd year at Pacific) wired 9 mandibles together in the ER in our first 2 weeks :thumbup:

Without a doubt, this is a must visit externship for anyone who gives two craps about OMFS.

Oh I'll write up a full report when I have some time, probably this weekend or last week. I've meticulously tracked everything I've done while I've been here, down to the injection, and I can report decently on what I've seen as well. I can say that me and my co-extern (Also a rising 2nd year at Pacific) wired 9 mandibles together in the ER in our first 2 weeks :thumbup:

Without a doubt, this is a must visit externship for anyone who gives two craps about OMFS.

Ummm, my co-extern and I...
(and then I look at my last post and see that I spelled externship wrong... DOH!)
:D

Sounds like a great time, I will definitely be heading out there for some fun. Just curious: Why keep track of the procedures you have done, personal? For stats? or for CV?

Ummm, my co-extern and I...
(and then I look at my last post and see that I spelled externship wrong... DOH!)
:D

Sounds like a great time, I will definitely be heading out there for some fun. Just curious: Why keep track of the procedures you have done, personal? For stats? or for CV?

Lots of reasons: So I can keep track of what works well for me, what I need to improve on, strengths and weaknesses, and just for a generally accurate log of what I've done in school (and on externship).

Have you done any externships yet? Where are you at, what year?

No, I haven't done any externships yet as I am only now finishing up my first year of school. So, right now I am trying to study it up for boards and get through these darn summer classes. I am just trying to get as much information at this time so that way when it is my time to step up to the big leagues and do some externships I will have an idea of what programs I may want to visit.

And for what dental school I am in I can say that it is a lot like hell only hotter and a lot more rain. :rolleyes: