MA in clinical psychology or MS in school counceling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be a senior this year at the University of Rochester as a psychology major this fall. I have lots and lots of research experience (in social psychology, clinical psychology, and psychiatry). I have always had a strong interest in psychotherapy and counceling. I intend to apply to medical school this fall and pursue psychiatry. However, as a back up plan, I would like to be ready to enter psychology graduate school. Even though my psychology grades are excellent, my science grades are only average.
Even though I would love to do a clinical psychology PhD program, they take too long and I want to be in medical school before I am 24. From my research, I haven't been able to find many masters programs in clinical psychology (without dropping out of a PhD program). So, I have been thinking about a MS in school psychology (counceling) through the Warner's school at the University of Rochester. This is only a 2 year program and not only am I very interested in the field, but it will allow me 2 more years to apply to medical school.

All you current psych. grad students, what do you think of my plan? Do you have any suggestions or input on the programs I've mentioned?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Trek 1 said:
Hey everyone,

I'll be a senior this year at the University of Rochester as a psychology major this fall. I have lots and lots of research experience (in social psychology, clinical psychology, and psychiatry). I have always had a strong interest in psychotherapy and counceling. I intend to apply to medical school this fall and pursue psychiatry. However, as a back up plan, I would like to be ready to enter psychology graduate school. Even though my psychology grades are excellent, my science grades are only average.
Even though I would love to do a clinical psychology PhD program, they take too long and I want to be in medical school before I am 24. From my research, I haven't been able to find many masters programs in clinical psychology (without dropping out of a PhD program). So, I have been thinking about a MS in school psychology (counceling) through the Warner's school at the University of Rochester. This is only a 2 year program and not only am I very interested in the field, but it will allow me 2 more years to apply to medical school.

All you current psych. grad students, what do you think of my plan? Do you have any suggestions or input on the programs I've mentioned?

Thanks!

Terminal MA programs in clinical psychology are rare, if they even exist. Your best bet for a terminal MA in psychology would be in school psychology. Plus, you're already familiar with the program and live in Rochester! I don't know much about school psychology so I cannot comment on the quality of this program. Another option is an master's degree in public health, which is more closely related to medicine than school psychology.

Keep in mind that medical schools will pay more attention to your science grades and MCAT than your undergraduate and graduate psychology grades. If your undergraduate science grades are <3.3 and you're considering MD programs, your two years would be better spent completing additional undergraduate science courses (e.g., biochemistry, physiology, molecular genetics) or pursuing an MA or MS in one of the natural sciences, preferably in one of the biological sciences.

Hope this helps!

PH

Thanks for the reply, PH.

I realize the importance of a good science GPA and MCAT score. I never really thought about a MPH program. Could you recommend any in New York state? What do the programs typically consist of?

Even if I went for the MS in school psychology, I would continue to take bio and chem summer courses. I agree that those are most important (such as biochem and genetics).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying to Clinical psych PhD programs, pick those with a separate M.A. degree rather than a 5 year PhD program. But under no circumstances tell them you want to go to Med School after your MA - they want to graduate you with a PhD so you won't get in. I applied to such programs only as I wanted the option of switching schools (and guess what, I did switch schools).

Dr Trek 1 said:
Thanks for the reply, PH.

I realize the importance of a good science GPA and MCAT score. I never really thought about a MPH program. Could you recommend any in New York state? What do the programs typically consist of?

Even if I went for the MS in school psychology, I would continue to take bio and chem summer courses. I agree that those are most important (such as biochem and genetics).

Jonathan

This should get you started:

What is Public Health?
http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=300

American Association of Schools of Public Health
http://www.asph.org

Schools of Public Health
http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=200

American Public Health Association
http://www.apha.org/

American Journal of Public Health
www.ajph.org/

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
http://www.cdc.gov/

Public Health Employment Connection
http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/PHEC/phec.cfm

Trek

MS in School Psych is different than MS in School Counseling. MS in School Psychology is primarily work in diagnosis of disabilities and working with those in that specific population. MS in Counseling is more of counseling techniques, group/cultural dynamics and educational parameters.

MS in School Psych might not be a bad idea. If you plan to supplement with some other science classes to bring up your GPA. My husband just went through interview process this spring and the schools are really looking for diversity-diversity-diversity. So if you have an interest in school pysch that might make you stand out in a way others may not. School psychs also are on the frontlines in working with the youth populations with ADHD, OCD, ODD, ED, etc. So working with these populations would surely enhance your knowledge if you are interested in a pscychiatry or even FM practice career. It is very easy to see to the commonaility. Plus during your interview process you could easily explain why that degree appealed to you and it would be for many of the same reasons you would like to work as a physician.

Plus as a back up its a really great degree to consider. You could have a job anywhere you want. There is a shortage of school pyschs. You'd probably draw a salary in the mid 50k starting out---thats not bad considering the hours and your long summer break off.

An entering student into my husbands med school class has a masters in classical guitar--and he was accepted into several of the top 10 schools (one even offered a full ride.) So don't box yourself into pursueing a degree only for the sake of med school. Find something you are truly interested in. Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the great post MRAM!

Yes, I truly have a love of psychology and, even though med schools probably won't really consider my grad school grades, I have an intrinsic interest in the subject. I also am an accomplished stage actor and would like some more time to do some more shows.

I am looking at the Warner school program. I haven't really started researching this but I know of the Warner program since it is at my school. Could you suggest any other programs in New York state?

Congratulations to your husband!

Trek

I'm not familiar with NY schools, but one thing to ask when you are researching a program is whether or not they require classroom teaching experience. I know some MS school psych programs require this, others do not.

I should have mentioned in my last post that one school psych that I've worked with was accepted to med school. Unfortunately at the same time her husband was laid off and she was also pregnant so she decided against going, but thought I'd mention that.