Man do I feel like a loser.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocOrNot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My YOUNGER brother is an MD in his third year as a neurology resident.

My YOUNGER sister is attending Harvard as a freshman.

My YOUNGEST sister is a 7th grader taking Algebra II.

My CUZ who is around the same age makes 500,000 a year doing oral surgery, and she doesnt even have an MD.

ME? I am 100,000+ in debt, and about to be unemployed when I get out of law school!

I think i was dropped to many times as a kid...i blame my parents!! haha

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, the joys of being a black sheep. I know your pain well. I know I was dropped as a kid - I've got something like a permanent bump right at my hairline. If it wasn't the droppings, there were all those times I jumped head first into walls.

Just one way I'm the failure in my family: my cousin's an anchor on CNBC India.

jebus said:
Ah, the joys of being a black sheep. I know your pain well. I know I was dropped as a kid - I've got something like a permanent bump right at my hairline. If it wasn't the droppings, there were all those times I jumped head first into walls.

Just one way I'm the failure in my family: my cousin's an anchor on CNBC India.

Nice...after a few stitches I am sure you'll be on your way! CNNC india..thats got to be a cool job! I feel yeah. Any other black sheeps/dark horses out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
whats with the complaining? I would love to be in a family that has the accomplishments your family has and besides, atleast you have earned a professional degree by completing law school, so your family's standing shouldnt diminish that at all.

Why should you feel like a loser? I compared myself to my father for a long time, and he makes more than all of those people you mentioned. But that's a bad way of looking at things. He's been a engineer for 20+ years and is great at picking investments. I'm 25 and a dumb kid. It's apples and oranges.

You went through things your family members did not. They do not have the same aspirations you do. You'll have a JD - can any of them say that? How many people can say that? You've got some debt - do you think that your cousin and younger brother do not? That your sister won't?

It took me awhile to get through my calculus classes. But later I heard that only 5% or so of the general public know anything about calculus, and I had learned everything up through differential equations! Think about what makes you uncommon, forget about everyone else, and focus on making yourself happy.

I definitely think you should look into the possibility of taking Algebra II.

Don't compare your self to others and make yourself feel bad. instead you should be proud of your accomplishments. you will get your JD and your can practice law, no one in your family will able to say that about themselves.

I had written a long response to this, but erased it remembering you can't teach a blind man to see.

DocOrNot said:

My CUZ who is around the same age makes 500,000 a year doing oral surgery, and she doesnt even have an MD.

ME? I am 100,000+ in debt, and about to be unemployed when I get out of law school!

...too many times...

DocOrNot said:

Man, that doesn't even sound like a problem. Looks like you too are on your way, and dude, c'mon now...it's great to have family as accomplished as yours. Better than a family who will loaf off of you. ;)

DocOrNot said:

Congrats! I think that you come from a family with great examples of accomplishments. I really suck at algebra. :laugh:

DocOrNot said:

Wow, very accomplished family. I can kind of sympathesize, it's easy to feel inadequate when you have family members who all seem to kick ass. But you're the only one in law, and that counts for something!

if they ever get into legal trouble (god forbid) theyll be comin to you, man that's gotta be great.

When I was young my mom used to leave my sister, who's 5 years younger, in charge of us. She'd tell me that I was in charge if there was an emergency because I thought quickly in situations like that but then turn to my sister and say she was in charge untill then and was responsible for preventing any such emergency.