MD equivalent to doctorate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Hair and a Beard

Obsessionist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Certain fellowships mention a doctorate degree (MD or PHD) as required qualification.

Is MD after med school considered equivalent to a doctorate?
Is residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Long Hair and a Beard said:
Certain fellowships mention a doctorate degree (MD or PHD) as required qualification.

Is MD after med school considered equivalent to a doctorate?
Is residency?

Yes, it's a doctorate.

mike

One of my mommy's nursing instructors (nurse, ms, phd) would say that an MD (yeah yeah or DO) was just a "technical degree". I found it humorous.

The answer to your question is that it depends on the fellowship. They might both be acceptable as requisite qualifications for jobs in research, laboratory medicine, etc.

Doctoral degrees evolved from a rather arcane history. Below is a link that might help shed some light on the situation.

http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/...041/History.htm

-Havarti666, PhD (2001), MD (2005)

!dr_nick! said:
One of my mommy's nursing instructors (nurse, ms, phd) would say that an MD (yeah yeah or DO) was just a "technical degree". I found it humorous.

While I wouldn't say it's "just" a technical degree, I belive that "technically" the MD has evolved from such. For all the brain power that an MD needs, medicine is still largely rooted in memorizing information, protocols and procedures.

-Havarti666, PhD (2001), MD (2005)

If MD = PhD, then why would the poor MD/PhD students "waste" extra 2-3 years.

IMHO, a MD is a PROFESIONAL degree, while a PhD is an ACEDEMIC degree.

However, I think a MD can equal a PhD IN CERTAIN SPECIALITIES:

PATHOLOGY
NEUROLOGY
NEUROSURGERY

since these fields are based heavily on research and theoretical work.

Yeah, those Ph.D. neurosurgeons kick ass.

C

Seaglass said:
Yeah, those Ph.D. neurosurgeons kick ass.

C

I've always thought the whole concept of thinking about the brain is just too deep for comprehension.

But then again I'm just a dumb and lazy ED doc.

Man, it's like I'm thinking . . . about my brain . . . and my brain is doing the thinking . . . about ITSELF! Man. Time for a nap.

C