med/peds program info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Well, after much soul-searching I've decided to go for med-peds. Only problem is, I'm having a tough time finding info about different programs. I realize that this is a more competitive residency, and that I'm at a disadvantage as I left the US to attend an International Medical school.... But I really want to do med-peds (especially interested in International health care) and I would be ever so grateful for information about programs- which are some good programs to consider? , competitiveness, programs whiling to consider IMGs, and anything else you can tell me. Thank You!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

medpeds.org or AMA-assn.org (use Freida) are your best bets.

Frieida (through the AMA's website) is a very good resource ... it will tell you how many applicants they take every year, the salaries, etc. The Med-Peds website is a good site that talks about medicine-pediatrics and provides resources and weblinks.

As for competitiveness, it is program dependant and have lots of factors. In general (and not limited to med-peds), university based programs are more competitive than non-university based program. Location can also determine competitiveness (such as New York City, Boston, etc). Also big names can also be competitive (such as Harvard, Yale, Duke, Univesity of Chicago, etc). But don't based your choice or decisions on prestige or competitiveness ... make sure the program is right for you and whatever career goals you have in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Thank you group_theory and johnnywalker for responding. Frieda and the med-peds website have been my only two sources so far- but they dont give much info on what programs look for in candidates. I mainly asked for competetiveness to assess what my chances of getting into the program would be(not so much a prestige issue)... unfortunately, the programs with major focus on international health care (my main interest) are university based programs.... Ah well, i guess I'll just have to give it a shot, wt do I have to loose :hardy:

We do look at FMG's, but there is some sort of restriction on the visa, but I can't recall what it is. We look for how well you did on your boards, your overall performance in med school, your interviews, and your LORs. In otherwords a well rounded person.

Since you have a specific interest your best bet is a university based residency as they are more likely to have the funds available, or even a program already established. Good luck to you.

I agree with Ekydr, for any specialty it's going to be about your overall application- although with med-peds there may be a more equal or greater emphasis on who you are as presented in your LORs, interview etc. than with board scores, class rank, etc.

The biggest thing is that only you (with or without input from others like advisors or classmates) can assess how competitive you are. If you aren't confident, apply to more programs (both in diversity and quantity).

There is an International Track that is available through Children's Hospital of Michigan that IM/Peds residents can participate in.

I am not sure who this is but being that you are passionate about IHM, it sounds like we both go to the same international school. I too am a third year and very interested in med-peds. After searching a bit on Freida, there is a global health program at Mt. Sinai in NYC. Check it out!!!