Mental Health Training Programs and Pseudoscience (Energy Healing, Reiki, Chakras, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WPMO

Reaction score
I recently came across a post on Reddit from a student claiming that their program is reaching "Chakra Psychology" in three hour long lectures from faculty, Reiki, and Energy Healing. This is apparently an LPC-track program that is accredited by CACREP. I have heard of these practices in Counseling and Social Work before (and to a somewhat lesser degree in Psychology).

I care a lot about opposing this type of pseudoscientific treatment, so I know I pay attention to these issues a lot. I may therefore have an attentional bias and overestimate how often this type of practice happens. How often do you all see this in the field? How big of an issue is it? Do you all have ideas about how we can deal with this type of practice? Below is the comment I saw:

I am including this link here only so you all can see it to inform discussion here. Please do not brigade the post.

Members don't see this ad.

Hell, pseudosciences like IFS, brain spotting, and somatic experiencing have proliferated to the point that they are almost entering the mainstream of trauma therapy in lots of circles.