Mercer University SOM-CLass of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud2be

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, eveyone. Where are all the Mercer students? Looks like I'll be attending the Savannah campus come August. Who else is ready to try PBL? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, yeah I am going to be going to Savannah too. I can't wait. I am pretty excited about PBL, sounds like a cool way to learn. Just need to find housing now, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rent, I am far to poor to buy. Right now me and my brother are going to rent a place together. He is trying to get into the art and film college there.

SCAD is crazy expensive too, if that's what you mean. But it is one of the best art/photo/film schools in the southeast, or so I have heard.

Good luck with your thread! My MCG thread hasn't done too well.

BUMP

Any more Mercer "students to be" lurking. Post and let us know where you're going. Sav or Macon.

I, along with 2, possibly 3, friends will be going to mercer in savannah.

Anybody nervous about PBL?

A little, but I think it is mostly just because it is new and different. I have always been more of a self motivated learner anyway. I think that it will help get us into the problem solving mode and teach us to connect the dots. Although there is that ever looming fear that I will be the 1% that fails out of med school, lol.

Although there is that ever looming fear that I will be the 1% that fails out of med school, lol.

LOL, I definitely know that fear. Still, I think a little fear is a good motivational tool. Otherwise, I would get too lax.

Have you started the financial aid paperwork? I got everything sent in, except the credit report. I had to laugh when I was reading the info about being selected for verification. What more info could the school request to verify you? SS card, drivers license, birth certificate, copies of tax info, credit report, school forms, FAFSA, etc.

Then it said if "selected" your info may be verified. lol

I guess the only concern I have is that the reward is not going to be available until like june/july if I remember correctly. Not a lot of time to make any arrangements if the fin aid is not what you expected.

Have you started the financial aid paperwork? I got everything sent in, except the credit report. I had to laugh when I was reading the info about being selected for verification. What more info could the school request to verify you? SS card, drivers license, birth certificate, copies of tax info, credit report, school forms, FAFSA, etc.

Then it said if "selected" your info may be verified. lol

I guess the only concern I have is that the reward is not going to be available until like june/july if I remember correctly. Not a lot of time to make any arrangements if the fin aid is not what you expected.

Started, still need to send it in though. I have everything together, I was just going back and forth on the loans on the green form. Yeah, you would think with all that they would need blood work, lol. Do you know when they usually send the award letters out? I need to send a copy of one out for a potential scholarship, so I hope it is pretty soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when they usually send the award letters out? I need to send a copy of one out for a potential scholarship, so I hope it is pretty soon.

From what I was told, the award letters for new students don't go out until around July. I would contact the school if you need something sooner. I may be wrong, and if ao please let me know. My concern was if you get accepted to 2 schools, how do you determine the best financial status without an award letter. Maybe this is done on purpose. Keep us waiting until it is too late.:smuggrin:

From what I heard on the "GA schools'" thread is that the admissions committee is meeting on Wed, March 26th, to determine the final acceptances, waitlists, and rejections. So, I bet this thread lights up some tomorrow night!

Did all of you, that have been accepted, get phone calls the night that followed the meeting?

Thanks!

From what I heard on the "GA schools'" thread is that the admissions committee is meeting on Wed, March 26th, to determine the final acceptances, waitlists, and rejections. So, I bet this thread lights up some tomorrow night!

Did all of you, that have been accepted, get phone calls the night that followed the meeting?

Thanks!

Yeah, I got a call at around 6pm. The meeting was at around 5pm fom what I was told.

Thanks!

Yeah I got a call from Ms. Putnam right after the meeting ended. However if they do a mass acceptance it may roll over into Thursday which at my interview they said does happen occasionally .

There is also a Mercer Class of 2012 group on facebook. If any of you use facebook, it would give you some more insight into who your future classmates are.

Anyone get called today? Any new acceptances? Post and join the class tread.

:luck::luck::luck:Goodluck to all those waiting!:luck::luck::luck:

Congrats everyone from 2011! We're in the middle of Neuro....hang on! I thought I knew what to expect...

;-)

:)
Congrats everyone from 2011! We're in the middle of Neuro....hang on! I thought I knew what to expect...

;-)

Thanks for the encouragement. I hear that neuro is one of the hardest (if not hardest) modules. Good luck. We'll need all the support we can get from you (class of 2011). Especially what books/info to use. High Yield info, textbooks, etc. Can't wait to get started, but I'm definitely nervous about PBL.:)

Looks like lots of savannah students...i can see why...but anyone else going to macon to be closer to family/town like me?

Please join facebook group.."Mercer University School of Medicine class of 2012"...The group is both for macon and savannah students.

I live in Savannah or I would definitely go to Macon campus. The housing cost is cheaper, close to ATL, and the hospital there appeared great when I was intervierwing. But, my family is in Savannah....so, I'm in the same situation as you. Goodluck. :thumbup:

I'm just happy to see more Mercer acceptances.

I'm not sure if you are trying to figure if Mercer is sending out any more acceptances..but I was accepted back in January..:). I am wondering though where everyone else is? I'm sooooooooooo excited.

Same here, January acceptance. I don't know where everyone else is at. There have been a few people waitlisted in the last 2 days.

Getting ready to move to Savannah. Just signed my lease with two other Mercer-Savannah students. We're going to be living right next to Memorial.

Does anyone know if Savannah class is completely full? Just curious.

Welcom to Savannah, FutureMD12.:thumbup:

Hey Savannah 2012 buddies,:thumbup:

I have my eye on a wonderful 2bd 2bath apartment 1 and 1/4 mile from memorial health center. Of course, I need a roomie! Please let me know if you are interested in having a studious, relatively clean, and quiet person for a room mate.

This is a really nice place!

I will be seeing you in Savannah in August.

Anyone going to Macon on June 21st for the financial aid meeting?

I'm Savannah born and raised, so if anyone has any questions about this place, let me know.

Did you guys get the email about the Biochem book? Anyone else heard of good books (lippincott, review books, etc.)

Polynikes, good to see you are joining us in Savannah.

Did you guys get the email about the Biochem book? Anyone else heard of good books (lippincott, review books, etc.)

Polynikes, good to see you are joining us in Savannah.

I got the Biochem email, read it, closed it, went to Amazon, then ordered it.

Haha

I'm going to try to read the chapters 1 - 11 like it suggested, but I probably won't do 19 - 23.

I am quitting my job at the end of this month, and I'm going to try and truly relax until school starts.

I will be turning down any waitlist movement I get at MCG...if I get any...

Pass / Fail is going to be such a relief.

I'll be turning down any waitlist from MCG, as well. I don't want to move my family at a last minute, and I'm looking forward to pass/fail.

Has anyone taken the tour of the Savannah campus? I haven't had a chance to get to the campus due to my work schedule. Is the remodeling complete? I heard that the old education building was going to be used.

I'll be turning down any waitlist from MCG, as well. I don't want to move my family at a last minute, and I'm looking forward to pass/fail.

Has anyone taken the tour of the Savannah campus? I haven't had a chance to get to the campus due to my work schedule. Is the remodeling complete? I heard that the old education building was going to be used.

Turning down MCG as well if I get accepted, I am actually turning UT down to go to Mercer (as of now have not fully made my mind up). I drove by the building, it looked old on the outside but really nice on the inside. The research building there looks really nice. Should be exciting to break that place in.

I rode my motorcycle by there last night.

Looks like the inside is pretty much complete, but all I was able to do was look in through the windows.

This going to be cool being the guinea pigs and all, but I hope everything gets ironed out pretty fast.

I doubt we'll run into too many glitches though, as the curriculum has been in place in Macon for quite some time now.

And even if the education building isn't 100% state of the art, we all know that Memorial Hospital certainly is.

Yeah I am not really worried about the curriculum being any different, especially with half the faculty being from Macon. I also talked with the curriculum director at Savannah and it sounded like it was going to be exactly the same.

Memorial is awesome, that's what won me over to Savannah, they actually saved my adopted brother's life, which is funny because he is the reason that I got into medicine. Savannah should be awesome.

Memorial is awesome, that's what won me over to Savannah, they actually saved my adopted brother's life, which is funny because he is the reason that I got into medicine.

That's cool. I like hearing stories like this.

What an awesome job we're getting into when you come home and tell your significant other that you literally saved someone's life that day.

Hey, I realize that not everyone knows about Memorial and such yet, but anyone willing to weigh in on the Internal Medicine residency there?

Scutwork.com is giving mixes reviews, looks like there was a shakeup there 1-2 years ago.