MGH IHP vs. Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shn3575

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between MGH and BU and I wanted to see if there were any current DPT students at either school that would be willing to share their experiences. Any feedback is appreciated, both positive and negative. Specifically for MGH I would be interested to know what people's opinions are of the new curriculum.

I would also love to hear from anyone who has decided to attend either of these schools this upcoming summer. Why did you choose MGH or BU?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently deciding between MGH and BU and I wanted to see if there were any current DPT students at either school that would be willing to share their experiences. Any feedback is appreciated, both positive and negative. Specifically for MGH I would be interested to know what people's opinions are of the new curriculum.

I would also love to hear from anyone who has decided to attend either of these schools this upcoming summer. Why did you choose MGH or BU?

Thank you in advance!

I put down my deposit at MGH in January because it was my first choice when I applied. I just had my accepted student day at BU and was really impressed so I’m in the same boat as you. I’m having a hard time remembering specifics of the open house at MGH because it was so long ago. I felt like I could build strong relationships with the professors at BU and it sounded like they really support the students. I’m curious to hear if any current students at MGH feel this was about their professors also? I didn’t leave with much of a personal impression from any of the professors at MGH. I’m still leaning toward MGH but would love to hear more specifics from current students at both schools also!

Reactions: 1 user
I put down my deposit at MGH in January because it was my first choice when I applied. I just had my accepted student day at BU and was really impressed so I’m in the same boat as you. I’m having a hard time remembering specifics of the open house at MGH because it was so long ago. I felt like I could build strong relationships with the professors at BU and it sounded like they really support the students. I’m curious to hear if any current students at MGH feel this was about their professors also? I didn’t leave with much of a personal impression from any of the professors at MGH. I’m still leaning toward MGH but would love to hear more specifics from current students at both schools also!

I definitely got the same impression at BU, it seems like the professors there are great and all the students seemed to love them. I don't remember as many specifics about the open house at MGH either, but I feel like BU emphasized the professors and the relationships between the students and professors more. Hopefully some current students will be able to give us some insight!

I'm glad this post could be potentially helpful to you too. I went to the Feb 10th session at BU and talked to a couple of other people who were also in the same boat as us of choosing between BU and MGH (maybe one of them was you?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope this helps. I flew from California to Boston to check out MGH IHP after I got accepted. I was in Boston Jan 8-12th to explore the city and campus. I did the tour and spoke with a faculty of neuro class. She was telling me how if I did not anticipate in working well in group settings then this is not the program for me, since a big component of the curriculum is group based. She said a negative of the program is that she as a faculty can not build as much face-to-face interactions and relations with the students because of the 4-week classes. The buildings is not owned by the school and thus their spaces are very limited. I did not feel the campus was anything particularly special or that anything stood out. I hope this helps. DM if you have more questions about MGH or the surrounding city.

FYI, I declined MGH and accepted an offer to AT Still University in Arizona.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the 1st class to go through the new curriculum at MGH. Personally, I love it. After getting my B.S. and M.S I was so over sitting through lectures all day. A lot of our work is in preparation which is reinforced through group work, some lecture and labs. I feel like my stress level is no where near what I've read other students go through in their programs. I can't speak to building relationships with the professors as I have always kept to myself as a student. However, the majority (there are always exceptions) are very receptive to us and treat us more like colleagues than in the traditional student/professor relationship. If any of you have specific questions for me I will be glad to answer them.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the 1st class to go through the new curriculum at MGH. Personally, I love it. After getting my B.S. and M.S I was so over sitting through lectures all day. A lot of our work is in preparation which is reinforced through group work, some lecture and labs. I feel like my stress level is no where near what I've read other students go through in their programs. I can't speak to building relationships with the professors as I have always kept to myself as a student. However, the majority (there are always exceptions) are very receptive to us and treat us more like colleagues than in the traditional student/professor relationship. If any of you have specific questions for me I will be glad to answer them.
That’s a lot of great info! I definitely like to hear that your stress level is low, but you still feel like you’re learning and being challenged. I noticed that the amount of clinical sites listed on the MGH website is less than some other schools I’m looking at. Have you felt there are plenty of options for clinicals? Also, do you feel there are enough specialty clinical sites (pediatrics/sports/nuero etc.) available if there are areas of specialty a student may want to focus in toward the end of their education?

Thanks for the response! This is all great information. I'm glad to hear you love the curriculum at MGH. Since you are the 1st year to go through I assume that means you have done your first clinical rotation at this point. Did you feel the curriculum prepared you well for your rotation?

That’s a lot of great info! I definitely like to hear that your stress level is low, but you still feel like you’re learning and being challenged. I noticed that the amount of clinical sites listed on the MGH website is less than some other schools I’m looking at. Have you felt there are plenty of options for clinicals? Also, do you feel there are enough specialty clinical sites (pediatrics/sports/nuero etc.) available if there are areas of specialty a student may want to focus in toward the end of their education?

Don't get me wrong, we are learning a ton and there are times when the stress level is very, very high! However, I do not find myself studying for hours each night after being on campus for 8 hours at a time. There is a good balance. We are in class a MAX of six hours, usually with an hour or two lunch break in between. A lot people use that time to relax, catch up, study or workout at the gym down the street. Since we can schedule the learning outside of class we can ensure we are mentally receptive. We also have a few weeks break between semesters. At first, I did not think I would like that but it's actually a really good thing. Some people take vacations, some people use it to work for financial reasons and some people just relax to recharge. I've been able to fly back home a few times a year due to this and it really helps me to recover/prepare for the intense work.

MGH's affiliations definitely contributed to it being at the top of my list for programs. The Partner's network is amazing. They allow us to rank our top 5 choices for two rounds then we are matched. I had a great experience my first rotation due to a great match for facility and CI. I just started my 2nd rotation this past week (why I'm replying so late) and I feel the same about this facility and CI as well. Going into the first clinical you will have finished all the ortho and cardiopulm intensive modules so the majority of that first list are ortho sites. Going into 2nd you will have finished all the neuro intensive modules so there are more OP neuro, IP acute, IP rehab, LTAC and home health placements. They have not released the final site list for our final internship/14 week so I can't speak to that yet. There have always been a handful of sites which service specialty populations such as peds, vestibular, aquatic therapy and sports (most notably MGH Sports.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the response! This is all great information. I'm glad to hear you love the curriculum at MGH. Since you are the 1st year to go through I assume that means you have done your first clinical rotation at this point. Did you feel the curriculum prepared you well for your rotation?

Absolutely, yes! Going into the first clinical you will have finished all the ortho modules and have had practice with documentation. With this new curriculum they ensured that we went through our spine modules along with all the extremities prior to the 1st clinical -- a lot of programs do not do this (most of the sites for the 1st clinical are ortho.) My CI was surprised I had learned spine and it was really great to apply those techniques to real patients. Another student was there and she was limited in which patients she could work with since she had not done spine yet. Going into 2nd you will have finished all the neuro and cardiopulm modules so there are more OP neuro, IP acute, IP rehab, LTAC and home health placements. I just started my 2nd clinical this past week (why I'm responding so late) on the cardiopulm unit of an LTAC. I felt comfortable and confident jumping right in to assist with patients and during my weekly recap my CI noted that I am already ahead of the curve and it's apparent "I know my stuff."

Reactions: 2 users
Don't get me wrong, we are learning a ton and there are times when the stress level is very, very high! However, I do not find myself studying for hours each night after being on campus for 8 hours at a time. There is a good balance. We are in class a MAX of six hours, usually with an hour or two lunch break in between. A lot people use that time to relax, catch up, study or workout at the gym down the street. Since we can schedule the learning outside of class we can ensure we are mentally receptive. We also have a few weeks break between semesters. At first, I did not think I would like that but it's actually a really good thing. Some people take vacations, some people use it to work for financial reasons and some people just relax to recharge. I've been able to fly back home a few times a year due to this and it really helps me to recover/prepare for the intense work.

MGH's affiliations definitely contributed to it being at the top of my list for programs. The Partner's network is amazing. They allow us to rank our top 5 choices for two rounds then we are matched. I had a great experience my first rotation due to a great match for facility and CI. I just started my 2nd rotation this past week (why I'm replying so late) and I feel the same about this facility and CI as well. Going into the first clinical you will have finished all the ortho and cardiopulm intensive modules so the majority of that first list are ortho sites. Going into 2nd you will have finished all the neuro intensive modules so there are more OP neuro, IP acute, IP rehab, LTAC and home health placements. They have not released the final site list for our final internship/14 week so I can't speak to that yet. There have always been a handful of sites which service specialty populations such as peds, vestibular, aquatic therapy and sports (most notably MGH Sports.)
Thank you so much for giving such thorough responses! This has helped me a lot in solidifying my decision to go to MGH.

Hi, I have a few more questions about MGH. Are the professors interested in your success or is it just a job? How would you rate your stress levels in regards to the amount of study time that you have to do? How does the school set you up for success? How is having 70 students in a cohort? In the groups is group grading or how does the grades work with the grade situation. Which was your most difficult class and why? How intense is a four week one subject only class? How easy is it to get the 14 week clinical as opposed to the year-long clinical. Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Hi,
After these years, I assume you guys graduated from MGH (or other programs) already.
Any more thoughts since I'm deciding between several schools, including MGH and BU.