Microbiology or Anatomy & Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding my final schedule for next year and was wondering, which is tougher--Microbiology or Anatomy and Physiology?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

SilverBandCry! said:
I am deciding my final schedule for next year and was wondering, which is tougher--Microbiology or Anatomy and Physiology?

thanks!

Well according to my pre-med advisor, he says there is some physiology on the MCAT. BUT-- I was looking at some of the practice MCATs, and after taking Microbiology, I saw some questions that were based on some of the concepts in micro. I thought micro was pretty neat, although I did like physiology as well. Take whatever you think you would enjoy. Maybe check out the textbooks of classmates that have already taken it.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSTP? said:
so you're planning on a phd in micro rather than an md? if the human body is boring, medicine may not be for you.

That was probably not necessary.

Intro micro is pretty darn easy (take this with a grain of salt; I was a micro major). Mostly memorization of scientific names and structures with some infection mechanisms.

Which do you think will be more helpful for the MCAT? thanks

Well, microbiology is on the MCAT and so is a lot of physiology. In fact, probably more physiology...

I would say physiology might be a little tougher because of the sheer amount of memorization of useless facts for the anatomy part (well, at least for my class), but the physiology part is awesome for general knowledge and for the MCATS.

SilverBandCry! said:
Which do you think will be more helpful for the MCAT? thanks

Anatomy/physiology.

I was disappointed at the very small amount of micro on the mcat :p

BUT I wished I had taken more physiology classes when it came to the excretory and endocrine systems, which I hadn't learned since high school.

Not sure which would be more helpful on the MCAT. I have taken both classes before and I liked them both. As for how difficult they are, they both require a fairly good bit of study time. The anatomy and physiology class I took was split into 2 semesters so it wasn't so much crammed into one semester, so I can't really say how the class would be for you. The labs for micro were pretty cool. How hard the class is also depends on the professor.

I really enjoyed Microbio, and it helped me for the MCATs...

from the mixed replies to this thread....you should probably ask for some feedback from guys in YOUR school who took either class, and decide based on that....

FutureDrCynthia said:
Not sure which would be more helpful on the MCAT. I have taken both classes before and I liked them both. As for how difficult they are, they both require a fairly good bit of study time. The anatomy and physiology class I took was split into 2 semesters so it wasn't so much crammed into one semester, so I can't really say how the class would be for you. The labs for micro were pretty cool. How hard the class is also depends on the professor.

The prof. will make the difference. I took AP I and II. I would take the Anatomy and Physiology. I am a bio major so I will be taking Micro anyway.

so you're planning on a phd in micro rather than an md? if the human body is boring, medicine may not be for you.

Micro is an essential component of medicine. Many MD focus on micro.

SilverBandCry! said:
which is tougher--Microbiology or Anatomy and Physiology?

Anatomy and Physiology = tougher but I have increased my practice Mcat BS scores by 2 points since taking it.

Microbiology = important & should certainly also be taken as a part of pre-med biology.