Must accept/reject before hearing back from other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spunky000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I received an acceptance email from CSU Northridge.

The email says that I have to accept or decline by January 4th. Although I'm interested in accepting, I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, which will be in February. Am I able to accept as of now, but potentially change my decision when I hear back from other schools?

If so, does accepting this university notify other universities (perhaps via PTCAS), possibly influencing their decisions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think PTCAS will notify other schools of your acceptance, you have the choice in that matter. It's always good to accept a school before the deadline unless you know for a fact that you will be getting accepted from other programs. It's better to accept and then decline later to be safe.

Yes, you can always accept now and change your mind later as you hear back from your other schools. But don't worry, this doesn't affect your chances with other schools! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

The email says that I have to accept or decline by January 4th. Although I'm interested in accepting, I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools, which will be in February. Am I able to accept as of now, but potentially change my decision when I hear back from other schools?

If so, does accepting this university notify other universities (perhaps via PTCAS), possibly influencing their decisions?

Thanks!

Definitely accept any offers you get unless you know with certainty you will not be attending. PTCAS notifies other universities that you have been accepted, however it does not notify them whether or not you have accepted the offer. This could only help you as other schools that you applied to would view you as "wanted".

Thanks!
I accepted and put a deposit down at a school and still received two acceptances afterwards, so you will be fine! If you decide to change your mind you will just lose your deposit.