Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently enrolled in general chemistry 1 over my university's intersession. The way intersession courses work here is 3 hours of lecture and 3 hours of lab, every day. One day equates to one week of the regular academic year. My prof is nice, she even lets us bring a cheat sheet into tests and exams.

However, I have no chemistry background past grade 10, and I am really scared that I am going to fail. I've looked into a tutor, but she can only meet once a week, and I know that won't be enough. My math doesn't go past grade 11. Chem is the only thing I have to do right now (no other courses or jobs), but I also haven't had much study time lately, due to a family member health issue.

I'm going into third year and want to go to dental school. Would it be better to drop the course now (if I drop it by end of day tomorrow, it won't appear on my transcript) and sign up to take it in the fall, when the pace is a little slower? Or should I try to stick it out now and risk failing? If I have to put it off until the fall, it likely means doing at least one extra year for my degree. Would dental schools care if I took longer to do my degree? If I drop it now, is there anything I should do to prepare for the fall?
I think it could possibly be better for you to take it during the fall, when the pace is slower, so that you don't end up with a low grade on your transcript and/or have to just end up retaking it. I don't know how dental schools would look at taking longer to finish your degree, but keep in mind that the pace in dental school is just like you've described - it goes fast, and 1 entire semester course is covered in the span of a few weeks before you jump into the next topic. Currently here at UCLA, we're taking about 33 units of coursework (about 11 different classes & labs) in this Spring Quarter (an undergraduate full-time quarter would be 12 units). So, there's more material and it goes by really quick, but I think it's best for you to take it in fall and get your foundations down so that you'll be prepared when Organic Chemistry I & II come around. As for preparing, I'd suggest using Chad's videos because 1) they're free, 2) they're for a year-long general chemistry course, and 3) lots of people use his videos from CourseSaver for preparing for the DAT, so you'd get used to him! Other resources could be Khan Academy (also free) or just buying your class textbook and using your syllabus to "self-study" the material so you'll be ready in the fall. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.