Net Worth at age 55

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much do you anticipate your net worth will be by age 55?

• Less than 2 million

Votes: 22 7.4%
  • 2-4 million

Votes: 67 22.5%
  • 4-6 million

Votes: 80 26.8%
  • 6-8 million

Votes: 56 18.8%
  • 8-10 million

Votes: 22 7.4%
  • More than 10 million

Votes: 51 17.1%

• Total voters
Biden is making you guys a lot of money.

Stock market is going to the moon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been 90% stocks for the past decade.
I think it’s time to go back to 60/40.

New report this month

After taxes and transfers, the top income quintile actually did better than the bottom quintile comparing 2019 to 2023 purchasing power. All quintiles are still better off.

• For households in the lowest income quintile, CBO estimates, the share of their adjusted income after transfers and taxes required to purchase their 2019 consumption bundle decreased by 2.0 percent; and
  • For households in the top income quintile, that share declined by 6.3 percent, the largest decline of any quintile.

Change Since 2019 in the Share of Household Income Required to Purchase a 2019 Consumption Bundle, by Income Quintile
60166-fig1_change_share_income.png

Last edited:
New report this month

After taxes and transfers, the top income quintile actually did better than the bottom quintile comparing 2019 to 2023 purchasing power. All quintiles are still better off.

• For households in the lowest income quintile, CBO estimates, the share of their adjusted income after transfers and taxes required to purchase their 2019 consumption bundle decreased by 2.0 percent; and
  • For households in the top income quintile, that share declined by 6.3 percent, the largest decline of any quintile.

Change Since 2019 in the Share of Household Income Required to Purchase a 2019 Consumption Bundle, by Income Quintile
View attachment 386912
I guess everyone got something in the money printing scheme.

You could also diversify internationally into stocks that haven’t run up so much recently.
Emerging/international markets have been the worst performers in my portfolio over a 15+ year period. So glad my allocation is very low. I probably have 2% or less in them and have not bought any in probably 10 years.

It is common to have a bigger allocation, but just can’t get behind it. If you “diversified” into international stocks/emerging markets vs US equities over the past 15 years, you missed out

I have “some” emerging market etf’s, but very little.

Just my opinion.

I like this chart. Looks at US mid and large cap vs Developed international markets.

Basically, a divergence since the financial crisis in 2008.

IMG_9059.jpeg

Emerging/international markets have been the worst performers in my portfolio over a 15+ year period. So glad my allocation is very low. I probably have 2% or less in them and have not bought any in probably 10 years.

It is common to have a bigger allocation, but just can’t get behind it. If you “diversified” into international stocks/emerging markets vs US equities over the past 15 years, you missed out

Just my opinion.
Yeah, no question US stocks have done better in the recent past. I replace the bond portion of my portfolio with international stocks so the comparison from my perspective is international stocks vs US bonds rather than international stocks vs US stocks. In that case, international stocks have outperformed US bonds. 🤷‍♂️

5 year annualized returns:
VTWAX 11%
VBMFX 0.1%

(I know VTWAX has a fair amount of US stock exposure.)

Last edited:
International and particularly emerging markets have underperformed US for more than a decade. As someone who is 50-50 US/International- I feel like the knight in Indiana Jones and the last crusade.- Waiting a LONG time.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interestingly, spending some time traveling Japan, and Tokyo has blown me away.

For a city that is almost twice the size of NYC it is impeccably clean, has huge infrastructure and is extremely modernized. It’s also the 3rd largest economy in the world. I can understand the allure of investing in a country like this.

The tokyo skyline at night and during the day is absolutely breath taking.

Few pics from the four seasons at night and the imperial gardens. I can’t stress enough how clean this country is.

IMG_8847.jpeg
IMG_8778.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
International and particularly emerging markets have underperformed US for more than a decade. As someone who is 50-50 US/International- I feel like the knight in Indiana Jones and the last crusade.- Waiting a LONG time.
Completely get this.

Interestingly, spending some time traveling Japan, and Tokyo has blown me away.

For a city that is almost twice the size of NYC it is impeccably clean, has huge infrastructure and is extremely modernized. It’s also the 3rd largest economy in the world. I can understand the allure of investing in a country like this.

The tokyo skyline at night and during the day is absolutely breath taking.

Few pics from the four seasons at night and the imperial gardens. I can’t stress enough how clean this country is.

View attachment 386923View attachment 386924
Japan is so amazing and so affordable now. I still remember when going there meant spending $20 for a can of Pepsi.

Japan is so amazing and so affordable now. I still remember when going there meant spending $20 for a can of Pepsi.
I have not studied Japans economy. $20 for pepsi is crazy!!! $1.5 dollars currently. Very affordable. We went to one of the Michelin Star ramen locations in Tokyo and it costs us $10 per bowl. Extremely affordable.

I have not studied Japans economy. $20 for pepsi is crazy!!! $1.5 dollars currently. Very affordable. We went to one of the Michelin Star ramen locations in Tokyo and it costs us $10 per bowl. Extremely affordable.
The yen is at a multiyear low against the dollar.

Who else hates new sh**?
New electronic charting. New job. New chairman with all new sh** to learn. New phone with all new sh** to learn etc etc

Now TDAmeritrade has to go to Schwab instead of vice versa and pretty much nothing looks similar on the sites and all new sh** to learn again. Like most anesthesiologists I get dialed in on the technology and have my "system" finely tuned like a Swiss watch and don't like it blown up back to square 1.

Stop throwing a monkey in the wrench and screwing up the works!!

Who else hates new sh**?
New electronic charting. New job. New chairman with all new sh** to learn. New phone with all new sh** to learn etc etc

Now TDAmeritrade has to go to Schwab instead of vice versa and pretty much nothing looks similar on the sites and all new sh** to learn again. Like most anesthesiologists I get dialed in on the technology and have my "system" finely tuned like a Swiss watch and don't like it blown up back to square 1.

Stop throwing a monkey in the wrench and screwing up the works!!

Schwabs interface is awful and their customer service is horrible. You know something's wrong when their reps don't even know their own product offerings

$5k per month including retirement plans, compounded at 8% (less than stock market long term average) over 35 years gets you above $10M. Yet in this poll over 80% will fall short of this number.

$5k per month including retirement plans, compounded at 8% (less than stock market long term average) over 35 years gets you above $10M. Yet in this poll over 80% will fall short of this number.
Let's say age 32-55: that's only 23 years of investing at $5k per month and not 35 years. Big difference

Just my opinion.
I sold mine. I tried it, saw its performance and eventually stopped and sold

Any good anesthesiologist forums on Facebook? Always looking for some education on Anes markets and business -

Nah, not even close.

Pandemic as Vice President?
Discussed it with President Obama?
The solution was go to Detroit to fix it? 😂

Timeline might be off, but he has had multiple meetings with Mayor Duggin of Detroit helping coordinate the pandemic response with legislation he helped get passed. He did meet with the mayor while he was VP and subsequently as President. Getting one meeting confused with another regarding a friendship that spans a decade isn't very serious to me.

Any good anesthesiologist forums on Facebook? Always looking for some education on Anes markets and business -
The main anesthesiologist Facebook page is too tame. Hate to say it. By invite. Not trying to be sexist. But Vanderbilt women started it. It’s educational but nothing sensational. More whining, doesn’t really talk about jobs.

Maybe physician moms Facebook page but it’s not as racy as the dad’s group which is full of useful information about jobs (and life) and kids and spouses….and ex spouses lol.

• Haha
I saw a report in the WSJ that shows adjusted for inflation overall net worth increase under Trump was substantially better than Biden (20% vs. 0.7%).

The top 5% probably have done better under Biden because they own equity, but the overall population did better under Trump.

Cant link that article because it is behind a paywall.

Asset Allocation for everyone? This international talk has me thinking…I’ve been into international index funds since reading bogleheads/wci coming out of residency.

I’m late 30s.

Not including real estate equity.

US Large Cap: 66%
US Mid Cap: 7%
US Small Cap: 3%
International: 15%
BTC: 2%
Cash: 7% (emergency fund-ish)

No bonds. No metals. Prob will buy some ETH/BTC/Sol soon to drop cash to 5%.

Asset Allocation for everyone? This international talk has me thinking…I’ve been into international index funds since reading bogleheads/wci coming out of residency.

I’m late 30s.

No international or bonds. Have about $90k cash spread between a high yield CD and a Blackrock Treasury fund.

Taxable account: 90% is comprised of VTI. 10% in individual stocks just to have some fun.

Roth IRA: 100% VTSAX

401k: majority is in large cap with some small and mid cap. Basically simulate the total US market.

No international. Some gold. Some BTC/ETH. Mainly just to have something interesting to follow. Not enough to make a difference.
-----------------------------------------------------

I know Bogleheads talk about having an international component but I think Bogle and even Buffet indicate a total US market fund and total US bond fund would be sufficient for your average investor.

I’m late 30s.

Since you have ZERO bonds, how much do you keep in the cash reserves? 3 years of spending? At your age the fixed income portion would be an emergency fund and a large expense fund held in fixed income. When the market drops it may take 3 years to bounce back. IF you have a large unexpected expense you should have some reserves. Perhaps, a 10% fixed income could function as cash/reserves.

63%, 7%, 3%, 15%, 2% and 10%.

8,000,000 ish net worth with 70% equity/25% fixed income/5% cash. International equity/bond exposure. Vanguard index funds only. No crypto/metals. I will somehow manage retirement without $10,000,000.

It isn’t rocket science. Salt away as much as you can, don’t spend/invest stupidly and hope that your portfolio chugs away at 7-8 %. Lots of term life insurance when you can’t afford to self-insure. Educate yourself and don’t pay a “wealth advisor” 1% to manage your portfolio. If you are married invest in your marriage. A divorce will kill your portfolio while a supportive and frugal spouse is your best hedge against disaster.

My 2cents.

Reactions: 13 users
Since you have ZERO bonds, how much do you keep in the cash reserves? 3 years of spending? At your age the fixed income portion would be an emergency fund and a large expense fund held in fixed income. When the market drops it may take 3 years to bounce back. IF you have a large unexpected expense you should have some reserves. Perhaps, a 10% fixed income could function as cash/reserves.

Not me responding to ur post.

But I keep less than $1000 cash most weeks.

Obviously have taxable accounts I can access and get the money within 3 business days.

Always can access 1.5 million in home equity if I need to.

Not me responding to ur post.

But I keep less than $1000 cash most weeks.

Obviously have taxable accounts I can access and get the money within 3 business days.

Always can access 1.5 million in home equity if I need to.
Pretty much the same. I find that I won't really ever need to keep a cash emergency fund as almost everything is accessible within several days nowadays. I have the military TSP that I can take out a loan against (that's paid back into the account with the interest), I have a taxable investment account that I can liquidate, I have IRA's that I can take the contributions out of and I have around 140k in credit cards that I could use as well.

Reactions: 2 users
8,000,000 ish net worth with 70% equity/25% fixed income/5% cash. International equity/bond exposure. Vanguard index funds only. No crypto/metals. I will somehow manage retirement without $10,000,000.

It isn’t rocket science. Salt away as much as you can, don’t spend/invest stupidly and hope that your portfolio chugs away at 7-8 %. Lots of term life insurance when you can’t afford to self-insure. Educate yourself and don’t pay a “wealth advisor” 1% to manage your portfolio. If you are married invest in your marriage. A divorce will kill your portfolio while a supportive and frugal spouse is your best hedge against disaster.

My 2cents.
What about a supportive but spendy spouse? How does that bode well for the marriage?

Or an unsupportive and spendy spouse? Many suffer through bad marriages because you know “it’s cheaper to keep her”. Divorce is better in many circumstances. Too many people marry young or are duped and trapped by their spouses. Divorce early and start over would be better.
And yeah get a prenup no matter how broke one is going into the marriage.

I am not sure that an anesthesiologist in their late 30s should be too worried about a market drop. That being said, it is a good idea to have a “rainy day” fund. I usually keep 6 months expenses split between checking/money market. A HELOC on your primary home is also a good idea.

I try to keep six months of expenses in cash, probably have a touch over that now with the 4.7% vanguard savings rate.

Also have HELOC already set up and available within 2-3 days.

What about a supportive but spendy spouse? How does that bode well for the marriage?

Or an unsupportive and spendy spouse? Many suffer through bad marriages because you know “it’s cheaper to keep her”. Divorce is better in many circumstances. Too many people marry young or are duped and trapped by their spouses. Divorce early and start over would be better.
It’s actually not cheaper to keep a spouse who spends too much. My colleague paid 13k a month in alimony and said he actually saved more money.

It’s his legal bills that added up over the years with the ex wanting more and more.

But true. Divorce within 10’years of marriage u will be fine. It’s the “grey” divorces that will kill u.

As another colleague has told me, if you ever get divorce “don’t do it again”.

It doesn’t matter if the future spouse makes the same money. It’s not worth it. Especially when it gets personal.

I got another friend who’s makes same exact money and divorcing. And it’s nasty. Over property etc.

My 2cents.
Marry a radiologist who shops at TJ Max. Yes, they are out there. 🙂

I don't see how getting a prenup when you're both broke college students does anything. As far as I understood, its benefit is to protect preexisting assets when coming into a marriage, but none that are acquired after marriage starts. I don't really know much about these things though.

I don't see how getting a prenup when you're both broke college students does anything. As far as I understood, its benefit is to protect preexisting assets when coming into a marriage, but none that are acquired after marriage starts. I don't really know much about these things though.
Aha. That’s where you are wrong and people don’t know. You can delineate how to split things in the future in case of a divorce. Alimony, no alimony etc. Not everyone deserves alimony. Depends on situation not just duration of marriage. Businesses started etc are more difficult to predict but many things can be outlined in a prenup.
Another option would be not getting married so young in the first place.

Can you be both supportive and spendy? A supportive spouse does not squander money that I earn working 24 hr shifts. If she/he is supportive they should be open to discussing how they are not rowing with the team with respect to spending. You need a good basic framework for how the household is to be run and both partners respect the other. I never look over my wife’s shoulder because she respects my hard work.

You can’t go into a marriage ignoring major red flags. Spenders spend and savers save. A selfishness person will never put you first. Someone who lies and cheats on the small stuff will do the same when it really matters. Of course people sometimes change over time, and not always for the best. You can’t see the unknowns. You do your best due diligence and then pull your 50%. Life is a crap shoot.

Last edited:
Can you be both supportive and spendy? A supportive spouse does not squander money that I earn working 24 hr shifts. If she/he is supportive they should be open to how they are not rowing with the team with respect to spending. You need a good basic framework for how the household is to be run and both partners respect the other. I never look over my wife’s shoulder because she respects my hard work.

You can’t go into a marriage ignoring major red flags. Spenders spend and savers save. A selfishness person will never put you first. Someone who lies and cheats on the small stuff will do the same when it really matters. Of course people sometimes change over time, and not always for the best. You can’t see the unknowns. You do your best due diligence and then pull your 50%. Life is a crap shoot.
And yet many people do ignore the flags and then feel stuck for whatever their reasons. Usually kids and the thought of being broke again. It’s a crap shoot but at least starting over and having control over your money and peace is better than sucking it up and being miserable.

And yet many people do ignore the flags and then feel stuck for whatever their reasons. Usually kids and the thought of being broke again. It’s a crap shoot but at least starting over and having control over your money and peace is better than sucking it up and being miserable.
Yes they do. I have seen it with family, friends and partners. Some people even manage to screw up more than once. That’s how you manage the 180 opposite of FIRE and have to work into your 70s.

I try to keep six months of expenses in cash, probably have a touch over that now with the 4.7% vanguard savings rate.

Also have HELOC already set up and available within 2-3 days.
You should consider moving most of your Vanguard Savings into VMRXX and get 5.25%. The 4.7% for the Cash Plus Account settlement fund is nice if you are using the money, but if you are parking it there relatively long-term, I don’t see a downside to moving money to VMRXX within the Cash Plus Account.

Marry a radiologist who shops at TJ Max. Yes, they are out there. 🙂
In every huge herd of horses there is a unicorn or two. Somehow one of them found me and I was smart enough to suggest marriage 👍