Neurocritical care fellowship applicants for 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackCatBone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully I'm not duplicating but I thought that I would start a thread on the Neurocritical Care Match for next year!

It would be be great if people could post when they get interview invites, any program or interview insights, and any other helpful advice for the match!

Thanks a lot and good luck to all involved!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Hopefully I'm not duplicating but I thought that I would start a thread on the Neurocritical Care Match for next year!

It would be be great if people could post when they get interview invites, any program or interview insights, and any other helpful advice for the match!

Thanks a lot and good luck to all involved!
Hey,

So far invites from Cleveland, Rush and Emory

So far ( Cleveland, Rush, Emory, U Chicago, UPenn, Miami, UT Southwestern, Montefiore )

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, where did everyone apply this year? And how are people choosing which programs are best suited for them?

Anyone got reviews for Cleveland vs Mount Sinai vs Boston vs Penn? Can’t decide on how to rank these.

Also yes still waiting to hear back from a bunch of places.

Hello! I am an incoming IM resident. I have been interested in neurocritical care for a long time and would like to pursue this path :) Any advice? How can I be competitive for NCC fellowship? Is it harder to get II's as someone applying from IM? My DMs are also open if you'd prefer sharing w/ me that way :) Thank you and best of luck to everyone this season!

Hello! I am an incoming IM resident. I have been interested in neurocritical care for a long time and would like to pursue this path :) Any advice? How can I be competitive for NCC fellowship? Is it harder to get II's as someone applying from IM? My DMs are also open if you'd prefer sharing w/ me that way :) Thank you and best of luck to everyone this season!

You won't have trouble with applying to fellowships, there are a lot of good ones and overall it isn't that competitive. Several of the conventionally "top" programs have had open fellow spots in recent years.

You may find the job market more challenging, or at least tricky. Try asking more recently trained NCC fellows coming from IM about their experience. Being trained as a neurologist is the edge that we bring in NCC, and most of the non-neuro trained attendings come from an anesthesia background and have been in the field for a while, before there were a lot of neurologists doing this. Taking care of the routine stroke patient isn't that difficult, but cases tend to get weird quickly so thats were being a neurologist helps a lot. I would just be careful and have a good strategy, talk to people, do electives in neurology as much as you can.

You won’t be able to get board certified in NCC unless you are boarded in CCM. Check the requirements on the ABIM website before proceeding down this path. Be aware that there are programs that have trouble filling who may gladly take you on as a fellow without completion of IM CCM, but you won’t be able to get boarded and finding a job will to be very difficult (near impossible). I split my time between an academic MICU and NCCU and there is a lot a medical intensivist can bring to NCC but one needs to be a medical intensivist first. IM+NCC is a dead end without having CCM.