• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

NHSC vs specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beakdoc

Reaction score
With the soaring tuition costs, I find myself having trouble picking the best route that would allow me to dig myself out of debt faster at the end of school.

I would very much enjoy working as a GP but I am also attracted to specialty options such as perio and OMFS.
Obviously, for killing debt as a GP, going the NHSC route would be a decent option. However, I am concerned that I may be shooting myself in the foot if I postpone specializing in order to commit to 4 years of GP service.

Would I be able to start residency for perio or OMFS after working 4 years as a GP?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, surgery programs won’t except someone straight from practice or a GPR. They usually want you to do a non-categorical year at a program before applying. But of course, there have been exceptions.

Reactions: 1 user
With the soaring tuition costs, I find myself having trouble picking the best route that would allow me to dig myself out of debt faster at the end of school.

I would very much enjoy working as a GP but I am also attracted to specialty options such as perio and OMFS.
Obviously, for killing debt as a GP, going the NHSC route would be a decent option. However, I am concerned that I may be shooting myself in the foot if I postpone specializing in order to commit to 4 years of GP service.

Would I be able to start residency for perio or OMFS after working 4 years as a GP?
Are you already in dental school?

Reactions: 1 user