non-traditional applicant for NM - timetable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byathread

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've been soul searching and exploring my options.

I have a significant interested in NM and am starting the process of learning about how the residency and application process works.

So far, I understand that almost all NM residencies in the US are 1+3.

SO, does applying for NM work the same as radiology? Do you apply for a position a year in advance like rads?

I will be starting my osteopathic internship July 07, and be done by July 08, so I would want to apply for NM programs starting 2008. Did I miss that boat already or do you apply THAT YEAR FOR THAT YEAR position?

Is an osteopathic internship even an acceptable pre-requisite PGY-1 year to enter any NM residency?

ALSO, I noticed many programs don't use the match (which I think is EXCELLENT), so if I apply late summer/early fall would I find out by Dec/Jan if I were accepted anywhere or do programs typically not start accepting positions until later in the application season.

I would need to know by late Jan 07 at the latest if I had a position because of the DO match and the later MD match I'll have to enter anyway as backup.

Tips for NM programs in big cities? I don't have research (but I'm not adverse to doing a lot of it at a program), but I have a passion for imaging and great work ethic...

Thanks!

Hangin,
BAT

Members don't see this ad.

Theoretically the time table is the same as radiology. In reality, you can probably get a spot for 2008 if you applied now. Cold call all the programs (there are about 60 programs in total). I am not familiar with the osteopathic internship, so cannot comment on that.

Tips for NM in big cities: Get involved in (any) research project that you can get your hands on. Even if you end up doing ZERO research during residency, it will look good when you interview. Unlike diagnostic rads, nuc med is heavily research oriented.