nremt renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need to renew my nremt certification and I'm just really lost. I'm basically new to the whole process and very late too cus the deadline is in March 31 and I don't have the required con ed hours :( My questions are (sorry if they're stupid questions): 1. Can we practice with the state's license only without renewing the nremt certification? 2. Where can I get Con ed hours? 3. If I don't have the con eds ready by March 31st, will I need to retake the EMT course and the exam? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1. Can we practice with the state's license only without renewing the nremt certification?
Depends on the state, but most do not require NREMT certification to maintain state licensure.

2. Where can I get Con ed hours?
If you Google "EMS CME", a whole bunch of options will pop up. Some are free; most aren't. Recert.com is a popular one.

3. If I don't have the con eds ready by March 31st, will I need to retake the EMT course and the exam?
Last I checked, NREMT had a grace period of 30 or 60 days. That changes from time to time, though, so definitely verify that through the NREMT website.

Depends on the state, but most do not require NREMT certification to maintain state licensure.

If you Google "EMS CME", a whole bunch of options will pop up. Some are free; most aren't. Recert.com is a popular one.

Last I checked, NREMT had a grace period of 30 or 60 days. That changes from time to time, though, so definitely verify that through the NREMT website.
Thanks for replying! I live in IL so I think the nremt is required :/. Do you know if the refresher course would satisfy the con ed hours requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Emergency Medical Technician Recertification Information | National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians

A standard refresher course should count. The NREMT website says that a maximum of 24 of the total 40 hours can be distributive (online). However, live online courses (where you have the ability to ask questions and interact with the instructor in real-time) can be used for as many hours as you want. NAEMT just created a live, online refresher course that satisfies all of the recert hours. Go to Course Directory and change the "Program Type" dropdown to "REFRESH". Looks like there are 4 courses coming up before March 31st.

Emergency Medical Technician Recertification Information | National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians

A standard refresher course should count. The NREMT website says that a maximum of 24 of the total 40 hours can be distributive (online). However, live online courses (where you have the ability to ask questions and interact with the instructor in real-time) can be used for as many hours as you want. NAEMT just created a live, online refresher course that satisfies all of the recert hours. Go to Course Directory and change the "Program Type" dropdown to "REFRESH". Looks like there are 4 courses coming up before March 31st.
thank you so much! so I'm assuming the state doesn't matter since all these courses are online. Does the region matter tho?

thank you so much! so I'm assuming the state doesn't matter since all these courses are online. Does the region matter tho?
Nope. The only thing that matters is that the courses are CAPCE accredited. It should say it on their website. All of the legitimate websites are accredited.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. The only thing that matters is that the courses are CAPCE accredited. It should say it on their website. All of the legitimate websites are accredited.
I see. you saved me I was completely lost! thanks again!

You're welcome! Good luck!
Okay I took the EMT refresher course which counted for 20 hours and satisfied the national component. I still can't submit the application because it's saying that I need 20 more hours for local and individual components. I was told by my instructor that the refresher course is all I need to renew my national certification. My IL license still has two more years and I'm only trying to renew the national certification. Can you help me please? Do I still need to do an extra 20 hours?

The NREMT website says that a maximum of 24 of the total 40 hours can be distributive (online).
The required breakdown is 20 hours "national component," 10 hours "local or state component," and 10 hours "individual component." Your refresher course satisfied the national component, as you said, but your instructor was incorrect when they told you you wouldn't need anything else. The good news is that the local and individual components are the most flexible — literally any accredited continuing education course counts for those, and the topic (airway, trauma, medical, etc.) doesn't matter.

Have you taken any college courses in the last two years? College credit counts (1 semester credit = 8 NREMT hours). If you've taken 5 credits in the last two years, then you've satisfied both of those components. The class just has to be "related to your role as an EMT" (e.g., anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, pharmacology, psychology, sociology, medical terminology).

Also, "card courses" (e.g., CPR, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, TECC) all count. If you've taken any of those in the last two years, they count as a 1:1 classroom hour to NREMT recert hour.

The required breakdown is 20 hours "national component," 10 hours "local or state component," and 10 hours "individual component." Your refresher course satisfied the national component, as you said, but your instructor was incorrect when they told you you wouldn't need anything else. The good news is that the local and individual components are the most flexible — literally any accredited continuing education course counts for those, and the topic (airway, trauma, medical, etc.) doesn't matter.

Have you taken any college courses in the last two years? College credit counts (1 semester credit = 8 NREMT hours). If you've taken 5 credits in the last two years, then you've satisfied both of those components. The class just has to be "related to your role as an EMT" (e.g., anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, pharmacology, psychology, sociology, medical terminology).

Also, "card courses" (e.g., CPR, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, TECC) all count. If you've taken any of those in the last two years, they count as a 1:1 classroom hour to NREMT recert hour.
Thank you so much! I just added a 5 credit college class and it worked! Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 user