Obesity Medicine CME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YogiBooboo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking into getting board certified in obesity medicine (ABIM certified and currently in endocrinology fellowship). I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the CME pathway options and if anyone can give feedback or recommendations?
Also, any advice on how to prep for the exam and how long the typical prep time is?

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm looking into getting board certified in obesity medicine (ABIM certified and currently in endocrinology fellowship). I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the CME pathway options and if anyone can give feedback or recommendations?
Also, any advice on how to prep for the exam and how long the typical prep time is?

Thank you so much.

We've discussed this elsewhere:
Obesity Medicine For Internists

What we really need now is a thread for Cachexia Medicine (the medicine for those with a BMI < 18).

The creation of one stupid fellowship deserves that of another on the other end of the spectrum.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, it will offer you nothing extra but another fee to pay. You'll be an endocrinologist, so you'll already be an expert in metabolism

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it will offer you nothing extra but another fee to pay. You'll be an endocrinologist, so you'll already be an expert in metabolism
Are you able to see and bill insurance when seeing patients for obesity without the certification? (Just asking for my learning)

Are you able to see and bill insurance when seeing patients for obesity without the certification? (Just asking for my learning)
Yes, especially as an endocrinologist. Either way, billing obesity doesn't pay much

Reactions: 1 user
E/M billing is extremely stupid--there is functionally 3 codes for all of outpatient medicine to capture 'complexity.' CMS and the AMA value a new congenital cardiology consult and a new visit for diabetes exactly the same despite the vast difference in time it took to train someone to deal with those problems.

Reactions: 1 users
We've discussed this elsewhere:
Obesity Medicine For Internists

What we really need now is a thread for Cachexia Medicine (the medicine for those with a BMI < 18).

The creation of one stupid fellowship deserves that of another on the other end of the spectrum.
I went through the other thread, and it appears that it does not discuss about the prep required for the obesity medicine board.

Piggybacking on what the thread creator was asking for:
Anyone here have insights into helpful materials needed for the ABOM Board exam?

Thank you.

E/M billing is extremely stupid--there is functionally 3 codes for all of outpatient medicine to capture 'complexity.' CMS and the AMA value a new congenital cardiology consult and a new visit for diabetes exactly the same despite the vast difference in time it took to train someone to deal with those problems.
I'm continually angry that when I spend 30 minutes and address literally a dozen separate problems, I can't bill above a level 4.