USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I called the NRMP. They advised taking it before the end of the year. They don’t know how long your scores take to come out though or for you to be certified as long as everything is ready by the 20th of Feb. Hope that helps
if i take it on the 14th of jan the results according to the within 4 weeks would be feb 7th. Is that taking a risk ? how long does it take to be certified? I thought as soon as ur ck is in u are certified?

if i take it on the 14th of jan the results according to the within 4 weeks would be feb 7th. Is that taking a risk ? how long does it take to be certified? I thought as soon as ur ck is in u are certified?

I think the earliest you can take your exam in Jan is on the 15th cause of the holidays. Assuming there are no delays in score reporting count 3-4 weeks from when you wanna take it (Certification takes a couple of days) and see if you’ll get your results before the 20th of Feb

I think the earliest you can take your exam in Jan is on the 15th cause of the holidays. Assuming there are no delays in score reporting count 3-4 weeks from when you wanna take it (Certification takes a couple of days) and see if you’ll get your results before the 20th of Feb
thanks booked it for the 15th jan. i really hope i pass and get certified on time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Permit disappeared today, guess this wednesday is gonna be it :). Finally, the wait is almost over.

What's the permit disappears trick? If one is expecting scores tomorrow is it a bad sign if the permit didn't disappear but at the same time doesn't let one print the permit. My wife just took it on December 10th and was expecting it December 13th. Thanks!

Also when she clicks on the print permit button she gets "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active."

My permit disappeared and I took the exam on Dec 14. Of course my eligibility period also ended 12/31/18 lol. Sooooo there’s that.

Reactions: 1 user
I took CK on 12/11, and as of yesterday evening my permit was still there. It expired on 12/31 though so now it's gone. Any chance I will get my scores tomorrow or do I have to wait yet another week? It's my fourth Wednesday tomorrow, but I'm hoping that the holiday week hasn't messed things up :(

I took CK on 12/11, and as of yesterday evening my permit was still there. It expired on 12/31 though so now it's gone. Any chance I will get my scores tomorrow or do I have to wait yet another week? It's my fourth Wednesday tomorrow, but I'm hoping that the holiday week hasn't messed things up :(

I would assume so. No holiday fell on a Wednesday so I would think it comes out tomorrow.

What's the permit disappears trick? If one is expecting scores tomorrow is it a bad sign if the permit didn't disappear but at the same time doesn't let one print the permit. My wife just took it on December 10th and was expecting it December 13th. Thanks!
Its generally believed that your permit dissapears the week you are supposed to receive your scores. I took mine on 4th dec. So i thought i would get scores back 26th dec, but i didnt cos of the holidays so today for sure, my permit dissapeared 2 days ago. I dont know how true the permit thing is though. But it seems about right. I dont think the permit not dissapearing means anything, it might just be that she wont get her results this week because her permit hasnt dissapeared, but i could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally time. Got mine,Step 2 CK: 242, UWSA 2 was most predictive for me : 248 Happy new year and thanks to everyone on here. The wait was horrible but im the happiest ive ever been. Good luck to everyone. :)

Finally time. Got mine,Step 2 CK: 242, UWSA 2 was most predictive for me : 248 Happy new year and thanks to everyone on here. The wait was horrible but im the happiest ive ever been. Good luck to everyone. :)

Congratulations. When do scores typically come out on Wednesday? I thought it was usually 11AM eastern time? I'm assuming she wont get her scores because she hasn't already?

congrats thats an amazing score! how close did u take uwsa to ur actual exam? any tips for last 2 weeks? is uworld enough? how were u scoring on uworld?

So we called the NBME and they said another week most likely. For those that took their exam on 12/13.

So there is a week’s delay in score release? I gave mine on 27th dec. Should i expect on 16th or 23rd?

congrats thats an amazing score! how close did u take uwsa to ur actual exam? any tips for last 2 weeks? is uworld enough? how were u scoring on uworld?
UW first pass: 65%
UW second pass (about 40% through): 90%
UWSA 1 (13 days before): 257
UWSA 2 (5 days before): 248
Real deal : 242
Last 2 weeks i was confused too. I just kept solving uworld questions to pass the time cos i was sure i couldnt learn much anymore. I had a book i made for biostats that i read a day before the exam, then i did a quick revie of First aid for step 1 a day before the exam. Walked out feeling terrible, got the biggest surprise an hour ago. Uworld alone is not enough in my opinion. Needed more. OME was great, i think step up 2 medicine was absolutely brilliant. Im framing that book. :)

Reactions: 2 users
UW first pass: 65%
UW second pass (about 40% through): 90%
UWSA 1 (13 days before): 257
UWSA 2 (5 days before): 248
Real deal : 242
Last 2 weeks i was confused too. I just kept solving uworld questions to pass the time cos i was sure i couldnt learn much anymore. I had a book i made for biostats that i read a day before the exam, then i did a quick revie of First aid for step 1 a day before the exam. Walked out feeling terrible, got the biggest surprise an hour ago. Uworld alone is not enough in my opinion. Needed more. OME was great, i think step up 2 medicine was absolutely brilliant. Im framing that book. :)
Any advice on studying for the ethics questions?

Also for the last two weeks I planned on doing amboss on top of Uworld to do ~120 questions a day til test day. Do you think amboss is a good addition?

Any advice on studying for the ethics questions?

Also for the last two weeks I planned on doing amboss on top of Uworld to do ~120 questions a day til test day. Do you think amboss is a good addition?
I think ethics questions are hit or miss, i found the ethics section of MTB 2 to be pretty good, dunno if it contributed much or if i even did well in the ethics questions. I have no experience or knowledge on amboss. Sorry :). But im sure doing Uworld will help loads.

By the way, for anyone wondering, i skipped every single drug ad and abstract related questions, i never get those and i think people that are good at those are incredible. :)

My Ck result came out 12th dec (4th Wednesday), ecfmg certificate was issued 14th dec and sent out 17th dec via FEDEX, I received it 24th dec ( outside the US). hope that helps you calculate your timing.
P.s my medical school certificate has already been verified prior to all these so I guess that helped fast track the process

Final Score - 260

I'm an IMG, so I studied after my final exams for 1.5 months.
Uworld pass - 71%
Uworld SA1 - 262
Uworld SA2 - 262

Step1 score was 232. Hope these will be good enough for OB/GYN or EM residency

Reactions: 3 users
Final Score - 260

I'm an IMG, so I studied after my final exams for 1.5 months.
Uworld pass - 71%
Uworld SA1 - 262
Uworld SA2 - 262

Step1 score was 232. Hope these will be good enough for OB/GYN or EM residency
congrats on the awesome improvement. did u only study uw? what would you say you did differently compared to step 1

I'm using a combination of Uworld and OME (from what I've read, this seems to be enough).
CK in T-minus 3 weeks.

Here are my stats:
Step 1: 241
Uworld 1st pass (done throughout 3rd year): 67%
Uworld 2nd pass (during dedicated): 84%
NBME 6: 243
NBME 7: 235
NBME 8: 247
NBME 4: 250
CCSE: 243
UWSA 1: 252
UWSA 2: 258
Free USMLE:
Real Deal:

I'll be periodically updating my stats as I continue through my study period.
Goal CK score is 250.

Hello... quick question...
Ive been out of basic science for a while and recently started clinicals, ive done my electives but have my cores to do. I transferred med schools between basic and clinicals and never had to do the nbme cbse but now i have to pass nbme ccse.. what advice can you give me to prepare for this seeing that ive been out of the loop for a long time?
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

congrats on the awesome improvement. did u only study uw? what would you say you did differently compared to step 1

Thanks! I actually don't have a good idea besides the fact that the material of the step 2 looks more like the material we studies in my med-school (while step 1 is different) - For step1 i studied longer (2.5 months).

I studied just from UW, and sometimes on unclear subject I opened the MtB

hey guys, does CK follow the rule like step 1? where you pick the simplest answer choice?

hey guys, does CK follow the rule like step 1? where you pick the simplest answer choice?

I don't know about "simplest" but you pick the "best" answer, e.g. more than one may be correct, but one is the most correct, for instance if the question is a "what's the best next step?" question, all the answers may be reasonable to do in that particular vignette, and in real life you may actually do two or more concurrently, but for the purposes of testing, one of them is the best answer.

Hi everyone. I just started studying for step 2 ck. I have to take exam in April. Cannot afford more delay because of family reasons. My step 1 score was average. I really want to score good in this exam. Question. Do i HAVE to do uworld twice or doing it once with MTB and SU2M is enough? Please help...

Hi everyone. I just started studying for step 2 ck. I have to take exam in April. Cannot afford more delay because of family reasons. My step 1 score was average. I really want to score good in this exam. Question. Do i HAVE to do uworld twice or doing it once with MTB and SU2M is enough? Please help...
No you dont HAVE to do UWORLD twice. But it helps to learn the material and answer questions close to your exam to stay fresh, MTB is alright...i didnt like it though, step up 2 medicine is brilliant just a little too dense. Monitor your progress with NBME's and UWSA's, because "Enough" depends on the individual. Try OME if you havent already, doesnt work for everyone but i liked it. Good luck.

Heyy. I took step 1 6 months back too. Now prepping for CK. How was your step 1 score? What resources are you using for step 2ck?

Just start Uworld and Online Med Ed sprinkled in for structure. Try to do Uworld ASAP and at least 3 times. Step 1 was good. Step 2 CK was same. Now applying for residency.

Hey guys, just wanted to update you all.

So my wife took the exam on December 13th. Her permit disappeared yesterday afternoon. At the time the fsmb website did not allow her to proceed with registration (she's taken and passed step 1 and CS). This morning it allows her to proceed with an application. I'm not completely sure but I'm assuming this means she has passed the exam?

Hey guys, just wanted to update you all.

So my wife took the exam on December 13th. Her permit disappeared yesterday afternoon. At the time the fsmb website did not allow her to proceed with registration (she's taken and passed step 1 and CS). This morning it allows her to proceed with an application. I'm not completely sure but I'm assuming this means she has passed the exam?

I just attempted to register for step 3 and it worked for me as welll