Passed STEP 1 but Failed Level 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymouspremeduser001

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am devastated as I just found out I failed level 1. I passed STEP 1 two weeks ago and was really excited about that. I was hoping to apply academic IM and now I feel like I wont ever be able to get there with a COMLEX failure. Does anyone know how the screening process works with boards failure like if you pass STEP but fail COMLEX will programs look down upon you? I asked my school about this but they are not too sure either as they haven't had many candidates in this position ever.

Members don't see this ad.

The scored step2/level2 will matter a lot more. Just retake and get the past on level1.

Reactions: 1 user
I am devastated as I just found out I failed level 1. I passed STEP 1 two weeks ago and was really excited about that. I was hoping to apply academic IM and now I feel like I wont ever be able to get there with a COMLEX failure. Does anyone know how the screening process works with boards failure like if you pass STEP but fail COMLEX will programs look down upon you? I asked my school about this but they are not too sure either as they haven't had many candidates in this position ever.
Really sorry to hear about this. Failing Comlex 1 the first time does not mean you will be a bad doctor. You passed Step 1. For often than not, it’s the other way around. All you can do is retake and pass, and do well step 2 comlex 2.

For PDs I think they put a lot of emphasis on comlex 2/step 2. Just remember as a DO you need comlex 1/2 P to graduate. My advice would be to not worry too much about what PDs will or won’t do. This is something you can’t really change. What you do have control of is retaking and killing comlex 2/step 2. Worrying a out something you have no real control of will just kill you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare well to retake. There is nothing you can do about it at this point. The biggest issue between now and match is likely going to be securing away rotations. All of the places I applied to (different specialty) asked for a first time pass of both COMLEX and step

Reactions: 1 users
Did you take USMLE or COMLEX first?

Some programs screen out failures. I didn’t apply to academic IM programs so I’m not sure how many do.

I know someone who failed COMLEX but passed Step. They matched community FM. They had other red flags though.